What's your go to recipe when you don't feel like cooking?

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,685 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    AJB1014 wrote: »
    Just returned home from a long weekend away. I'm exhausted from traveling but don't want to order take out! I don't mind going to the grocery store to pick up a few things, but its the physical act of cooking I'm not looking forward to. What do you like to whip up when you don't feel like being in the kitchen?

Stop by a store on the way home pick up a box salad mix and rotisserie chicken. Not only do you get fed quick but have leftovers for next day.

One of my favourite - quick and easy meals! With there only being two of us at home it also gives me leftover chicken for later in the week.
  • katphi1618
    katphi1618 Posts: 120 Member
    Wraps. Slice up whatever vegetables and leftover meat (if any) and wrap it in tortillas.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,685 Member
    I'm a big fan of wraps. Deli meat with a bunch of lettuce and tomato makes an easy meal. If I'm really feeling ambitious on a lazy night I'll fry up some egg whites and put them on a tortilla with some salsa and cheese for a breakfast burrito. Or just a smear of peanut butter on a tortilla heated in the microwave until it's warm and melty. Super easy and lazy.

I was making wraps a lot and reading this realized I haven't done that for a while. Maybe that will be tonight's supper!
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited August 2018
    Shout out to all you people and your tasty ideas!

I just moved and have used this as my bible while living in limbo! So far we've had;

1. bag salad and rotisserie chicken
    2. rotisserie chicken quesdadillas
    3. Turkey sandwiches
    4. Breakfast Burritos
    5. Dirty Rice
    6. Frozen pizza
    7. Fruit and cheese
    8. Sausage with peppers and onions
    9. Tuna salad
    10. Protein shakes
    11. Box Mac and Cheese with bologna

All easy, 15 minute meals with minimal prep and clean up. And I'm still maintaining a downward trend loss!!!

Thanks, y'all!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    I just bought some bottarga online which apparently keeps for years in the fridge. This is a no shopping, almost no cooking pasta dish. Mix with spiralized courgette if you want it to be lower carb. Looking forward to trying this.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/03/spaghetti-with-sardinian-bottagra-italian-recipe.html
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    I just bought some bottarga online which apparently keeps for years in the fridge. This is a no shopping, almost no cooking pasta dish. Mix with spiralized courgette if you want it to be lower carb. Looking forward to trying this.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/03/spaghetti-with-sardinian-bottagra-italian-recipe.html

What does it do to a dish?
    I always wanted to try it but it not possible to find it in Ontario. The distributor only sells to fancy restaurants and its like $300/kg.
    Also, post it in the new product thread.

Found this site for Canadians - pricing is reasonable: http://bottargabrothers.com/order-bottarga/canada
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Always smashed avocado on naan bread with salt and pepper. I always have those ingredients in the house, and this always makes me happy.
  • acpgee

I always wanted to try it but it not possible to find it in Ontario. The distributor only sells to fancy restaurants and its like $300/kg.

Last time I had it was on vacation in Sicily maybe half a year ago. Slightly fishy, salty, umami. If you like other fish roes such as taramasalata or salmon caviar you will probably like it. Actually I see on Wikipedia that taramasalata can be made with roe of cod, carp or grey mullet (=bottarga).

If your fish monger sells roe, here is a recipe to make your own.
    https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-to-make-bottarga-1300785
  • acpgee
    vegmebuff wrote: »

Found this site for Canadians - pricing is reasonable: http://bottargabrothers.com/order-bottarga/canada

Reasonable? Not at all if you ask me :)

I would try substituting salt cured cod's roe in recipes calling for bottarga because it is cheaper than grey mullet roe. Should be available in greek shops as it's an ingredient for taramasalata.
  • lolly2414
    lolly2414 Posts: 186 Member
    Ham and cheese quesadillas. Super easy.
  • jospodo
    jospodo Posts: 1 Member
    An omelette- nothing is quicker- throw in whatever you have left in the fridge; herbs, chicken, cheese....
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    I throw boneless skinless chicken tenderloins on a george foreman grill. Heat up some microwave rice. Steam a bag of veggies in the microwave. Done.
  • MagnumOpus1
    MagnumOpus1 Posts: 161 Member
    Good question. Usually eggs, sardines & rice (I always have rice on deck) if not then microwave rice noodles.

When I truly cannot be asked. Literally anything with a slice of bread.
  • angiecullifer
    angiecullifer Posts: 13 Member
    Cereal
  • jguldi11
    jguldi11 Posts: 201 Member
    Hubby and I like my take on a gyro - whole grain pita, hummus, pre-cooked chicken strips (i.e. Tyson), cucumber, tomato, onion, mixed greens, and a bit of Greek dressing. Ready in less than 10 minutes and quite filling.
  • teslac0ils
    teslac0ils Posts: 11 Member
    Jerky, pumpkin seeds & the occasional treat of a powercrunch bar are the packaged things I keep around for "don't feel like thinking through my food choices" times.
    If I have enough time to thaw a thing, I've also got pulled chicken with buffalo sauce. Every time I make it I do a huge batch so I can store about 10 servings in the freezer. It works on a salad or a sandwich, mood & time of day depending.
    Fat bombs also live in the freezer for when I don't have an appetite for breakfast but know I'll regret not eating later.
  • 2run2ski
    2run2ski Posts: 133 Member
    tortilla, refried vegetarian beans from a can, little bit of cheese -- heat in microwave. Eat with some veggie... I love to plop it on a bed of lettuce. Salsa too if it's around... Quick quick quick
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    I'll do a quick stir fry, or get a ready meal that's fairly low in carbs, and steam some extra veg in the microwave to add to it, or just have a simple meal of meat or fish with veg and a bit of rice.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Breakfast for dinner: scrambled eggs + toasted English muffin with PB