HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Replies

• JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    jessicapk wrote: »
    So, this isn't a traditional post in that I'm far from looking as hot as you girls up here so far! However, for all those girls who want to wait til after they lose weight to start "toning," you're wasting your time! It's never too early to start and keep the muscle you have.

My picture is my progress picture from my 6 months here on MFP (180 days) which is actually today! So far, I've lost just shy of 50 lbs. I started on strength machines in the gym then moved to doing StrongLifts 5x5 at home and really lifting heavy. Tell me which chick in the picture looked "bulky" and which one looks like she's on the right path :smile:

@jessicapk I can really see the difference especially in your calves and ankles! Hope you are still going strong
  • CatherineLaurel
    CatherineLaurel Posts: 197 Member
    How heavy is heavy lifting? I’ve been training for 5 weeks but I can only lift small amounts. To give you a basic idea here are some examples:

Tricep dumbbell exercises: about 20 per arm
    Smith machine squats: 75 at the most
    Bicep curls with dumbbells: 15 per arm
    Planks: 60 seconds
    All lifting between 8 and 12 reps

You get the drift. Is this still going to be effective? I have an app that schedules for consistency of these target muscle groups with rest built in.

I also run or walk 3 miles a night and am at a calorie deficit of 1 lb per week.

I want to gain muscle but I am not ready for the heavy heavy stuff! But I want to get a body like yalls! Thoughts?
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,719 Member
    How heavy is heavy lifting? I’ve been training for 5 weeks but I can only lift small amounts. To give you a basic idea here are some examples:

Tricep dumbbell exercises: about 20 per arm
    Smith machine squats: 75 at the most
    Bicep curls with dumbbells: 15 per arm
    Planks: 60 seconds
    All lifting between 8 and 12 reps

You get the drift. Is this still going to be effective? I have an app that schedules for consistency of these target muscle groups with rest built in.

I also run or walk 3 miles a night and am at a calorie deficit of 1 lb per week.

I want to gain muscle but I am not ready for the heavy heavy stuff! But I want to get a body like yalls! Thoughts?

Heavy lifting is whatever is heavy to you. Once you can do 8-12 reps easily, add more weight.

And if you want "bodies like us'alls" you probably need a proven, progressive lifting program, not just some random exercises. Stronglifts 5X5 or StrongCurves are popular beginner programs.
    Check out this thread...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

upgzq3roybf6.gif
  • CatherineLaurel
    CatherineLaurel Posts: 197 Member

Heavy lifting is whatever is heavy to you. Once you can do 8-12 reps easily, add more weight.

And if you want "bodies like us'alls" you probably need a proven, progressive lifting program, not just some random exercises. Stronglifts 5X5 or StrongCurves are popular beginner programs.
    Check out this thread...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Thank you for your advice! My fitbod app does the trick on a prgroessive lifting program so I am not just doin g random exercises. Those were just a few examples. I’m glad I’m on the right track as far as getting to heavier weights on my own accord, gotta start somewhere!

Also, noted about the Smith Machine!

Great job, ladies!
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,719 Member
    If you are dead lifting, use wrist straps (the ones that loop round your wrists and then wrap round the bar - I have to use those or my forearms/wrists/hands just give out.

Same. My grip strength is pathetic and there is no way I'd be able to lift more than my body weight without wrist straps.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    If you are dead lifting, use wrist straps (the ones that loop round your wrists and then wrap round the bar - I have to use those or my forearms/wrists/hands just give out.

Same. My grip strength is pathetic and there is no way I'd be able to lift more than my body weight without wrist straps.

I use wrist straps, I've also been advised that farmers lifts will help improve grip, but I've not started that yet
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    It's kind of like tattoos: those with tattoos don't think anything of those who don't.
    Whatever gets you the body you want, go for it.
  • Foodfavor
    Foodfavor Posts: 94 Member
    I'd love to see more pictures! You are all my inspiration :blush: Someday I will be as cool and beautiful as y'all.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    well I hope someday I will have enough visible results to be able to post a picture here lol
  • VictoryMade
    VictoryMade Posts: 13 Member
    Good start. Keep it up.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    I did a set of 5 205 lb. deadlifts Saturday! That's the most I've EVER been able to do and I did 5! It was a proud moment in my life!

<3<3<3

Happy dance!!!

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!