536 days with MFP and 300.8lbs lost

rptreglia
rptreglia Posts: 15 Member
I was told I should post my story on here, well here goes!

When I started my weight was 602lbs, and I was miserable. I couldn't walk far without my back being in severe pain. My knees were killing me constantly and I had hurt my heel. I was taking over 2,000mg of ibuprofen to kill pain in my heel. I was basically waiting to die at this point.

I then found this community and people using myfitnesspal, they were doing nothing but tracking calories and losing weight, I figured I can do that! I showed my wife posts on here and how people were successful without going to a gym. I then watched videos on meal prepping because when we come home from work we were both not motivated to cook.

So the first weekend we spent like 6 hours cooking food but that whole week we had dinner, lunch, and breakfast done. I also found my old Fitbit and started wearing it again. It was awesome that week. Meals were done and ready to eat as soon as we got home.

After a month I would have murdered someone for a Big Mac or a pop. There were days I broke down and cried, yes cried because I couldn't eat fast food. I didn't realize how much food had taken over my life. At work, we have a vending machine on my floor. There were mornings I just stared at Hershey bars because I wanted one soooo *kitten* bad!

Eventually it got better, I started to realize that for the calories in that bad food, I could have so much more....then I found dannon light and fit Greek yogurt...that *kitten* is my weakness. 80 calories for a container....score! Then I realized I can cook out on the grill for the entire week and I found boneless skinless chicken thighs...I eat them everyday now. I cook about 6lbs a week on the grill and eat them for lunch and use them for dinner some nights.

About 5 months in I lost 100lbs and bought myself a weight set, I got bowflex select tech weights. I love those. I started doing things I couldn't do before, for my birthday I went golfing again! I miss being able to do that. I was able to walk without my back being in so much pain.

Cue to February 2018 and my wife's birthday. That morning I woke up and broke over 200lbs lost...my wife was more excited than I was. She said me losing this weight has been the best gift I could ever give. I'm able to walk without needing to stop, I can help out around the house and not leave it to her. I also decided to do something I never thought I would do, I bought a BICYCLE!!

I haven't rode one since I was 14 Also, I wanted to give my wife something for putting up with me and how much she put up with when I was too heavy to do anything. I booked a trip to New Orleans! It has something we always talked about doing but never could because I couldn't walk. We went on that trip in April of 2018. We got a hotel room with a balcony overlooking bourbon st. We walked everywhere and I had so much fun, it was the best vacation I have ever had.

So since then I have continued on my lifestyle change. The morning of August 22nd 2018 I got on the scale and cried when it told me my weight. I weighed 301.2lbs...while to some of you that is still over weight to me this is the lowest I have weighed since maybe my first year of college.
  • For my birthday this year in October we are going to DISNEY!!!! I also signed up up for a dinner with the Pooh characters!!
  • I have now lost over 24" off my waist
  • My shirt size is now a 3X/4X down from an 8X
  • My shoe size went from a 12 wide to 11M, this one was the oddest change!
  • I now wear compression clothing from Under Armour because of my loose skin
  • I finally saw my Dr a few months ago and she didn't recognize me. My last weight in the chart was over 550lbs and she thought the chart she had was for a different patient.
  • I am signing up to do the warrior dash next year because I was too late for this years.
  • I signed up for a gym last week so I am excited to start doing that
  • I want to lose another 70lbs but we will see where this journey takes me.

Losing this much weight has saved my marriage too, my wife had to do everything for me. I couldnt help around the house so it became her job. I knew it weighed on her so much because I became a burden to her. Now, I'm planning to go on a trip together. Go on a hike together to see nature...she has said that it's like she married a new person. When we dated I weighed less than this but still never wanted to go hiking or biking anywhere.

Thank you to everyone who posted their struggles or who posted their success. It has helped me make it through my journey so far. I realize I have a lot more to lose but I already feel like a new person. You all have helped me change my life and I owe it all to everyone here...thank you!

Replies

• gdionelli
    gdionelli Posts: 7 Member
    Such a happy and inspiring post! Keep it up - the rest of your life is going to be so wonderful!
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Wow, man, that is an epic story. You are a warrior! You'll get where you want to go, I know it! Congrats on the successes so far, and good journeys to you on where you'll go next!
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    I’m so thrilled for you and in total awe at your ability to see not only the positive impact this had had on you, but for others.
    The thrill of weighing in and seeing clothes fit that you never imagined would fit is a great moral booster. My most sincere congratulations go to you and I’m truly inspired by your determination.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Oh my goodness, how incredible! I’m so happy for you, what an accomplishment!!!! Many hugs to you!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Posts like this really make me miss the awesome button.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Amazing.. your story is wonderful, I wish you continued success. Well done.
  • SandyH2015
    SandyH2015 Posts: 95 Member
    Thank you for posting this! Today is day 1 for me (again) and reading your story is so inspiring. Thank you again and congratulations!
  • rptreglia
    SandyH2015 wrote: »
    Thank you for posting this! Today is day 1 for me (again) and reading your story is so inspiring. Thank you again and congratulations!

I am glad I can help and I hope this time around you are more successful than the last time.
  • tuolon
    tuolon Posts: 107 Member
    That is awesome! What an incredible story.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    This is so awesome!! When I was losing 150 and feeling sorry for myself because it took so long and so much work, I reminded myself of people like you who had lost even more. It helped me keep going. Congrats on your success!
  • s1im62
    s1im62 Posts: 29,171 Member
    Thanks for sharing your story, and congratulations on your ongoing success. Keep up the good work! :smile:

I'm confident your story will inspire others who may be feeling that there's no hope. You have proven that there is hope for people so many others would label 'hopeless cases', when one can find the willingness and determination to give it a try.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Goodness, I couldn't read all the replies my eyes were so full of tears.

You, my man, are wonderful. <3

Cheers, h.
  • rptreglia
    Goodness, I couldn't read all the replies my eyes were so full of tears.

You, my man, are wonderful. <3

Cheers, h.

Thanks. It has been very emotional but so rewarding. I feel like a new person with everything I can do!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    You've done magnificently so far and it gets better! You'll be able to ride roller coasters soon, then flying comfortably in today's tiny seats soon after!
  • knavarro2015
    knavarro2015 Posts: 20 Member
    WHAT AN INSPIRATIONAL JOURNEY!!! You should be so proud of yourself! (I am!!) This story really touched me! Thank you for posting! Keep going!!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Thank you for sharing. I’m truly inspired <3
  • JudyCoventry4
    JudyCoventry4 Posts: 10 Member
    Wow! What a story! Rejoicing with you and your new life!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!