Need help losing weight in my 30s! Who’s with me?

Replies

• EmDork
    EmDork Posts: 14 Member
    edited August 2018
    I feel your pain! I live in the Albany, NY area, and I am 34 and I weigh ~200 lbs. I am also 5'4", and had a serious love affair with beer that helped get me in this boat. I don't know what happened to my metabolism; weight loss has always been hard, but at least I saw results in my 20's!

Time to buckle down an do this! Feel free to add me, anyone.
  • jesslcav13
    jesslcav13 Posts: 3 Member
    I’m right there with you all.....36 in Pennsylvania, I have been struggling with my weight over the last 3 years. I’m 5’7”
    When I hit 200 lbs I finally decided to do something. It is not easy to stay healthy, excercise and still go out and have fun. Feel free to add me!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    37 fellow Ontario. Starting weight was 167 and I've lost 27 ish pound since April; 10ish to go! Feel free to add me.

once i got into the routine I didn't find it more work than when i lost in my early and then late 20's. Thank god I was pretty concerned. But yeah I probably will need a lower baseline unless I keep up the long runs.
  • markmojojohnson
    markmojojohnson Posts: 1 Member
    Hey Theresa,
    First off, be sure to research for yourself any advice you receive. We're all made differently and burn and store calories differently. That being said, you can drink beer and live life still. At 5'4" 204lbs you you're around 2000 calories daily so to lose weight, try a 1600 calorie daily intake. In a few weeks, evaluate your progress and adjust from there. Don't cut calories too low causing a catabolic burn of lean tissue (muscle) which will lower your metabolism and make you fatter eventually.

Also, skip breakfast and wait as long as possible to eat daily. Time restricted eat or intermittent fasting is essential to quickly burn fat. Go at least 12 or as much as 16 hours daily with nothing but water. If you have dinner at 8pm, then the earliest you should eat breakfast is 8am but noon would be much better. Try to get a fasting cardio in before breakfast. Good luck!!!

Mark
  • terrordawg
    terrordawg Posts: 19,462 Member
    Hey Theresa,
    First off, be sure to research for yourself any advice you receive. We're all made differently and burn and store calories differently. That being said, you can drink beer and live life still. At 5'4" 204lbs you you're around 2000 calories daily so to lose weight, try a 1600 calorie daily intake. In a few weeks, evaluate your progress and adjust from there. Don't cut calories too low causing a catabolic burn of lean tissue (muscle) which will lower your metabolism and make you fatter eventually.

Also, skip breakfast and wait as long as possible to eat daily. Time restricted eat or intermittent fasting is essential to quickly burn fat. Go at least 12 or as much as 16 hours daily with nothing but water. If you have dinner at 8pm, then the earliest you should eat breakfast is 8am but noon would be much better. Try to get a fasting cardio in before breakfast. Good luck!!!

Mark

Hmmm, I’ll have to read up on intermittent fasting as I’d never considered it. Skipping breakfast goes against everything I’ve been told my entire life! lol I don’t necessarily need to lose the weight quickly. I just want to be lean and healthy when all is said and done.

Thanks for the advice! I’ll definitely look into it :smile:
  • French_Nugget
    French_Nugget Posts: 1 Member
    Please add me too! I'm 5' and 211 lbs. I'm the heaviest I've ever been and that's not ok! The beer and whiskey got me too. Why do they taste so good??? Lol
  • sarlynn2
    sarlynn2 Posts: 5 Member
    edited August 2018
    It's been a few days, how is everyone doing? :)

I had one day I ate WAY over my calories but still tracked them all which is progress in itself. Each day I'm just TRYING and that's all we can do!

Also, anyone can feel free to add me at any time! I'm on every day... and I'm determined for it to stay that way now! :D
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    I just turned 35 a couple months ago and REstarting this journey, well not a full restart because I did manage to keep off about 25 pounds over the last year plus. I had lost about 50 a few years ago and then regained and relost a couple times, not more than 10 lbs. Then I moved and got sick and needed surgery (gallstones) and just stopped logging off and on. I also had been working out regularly and because of that I stopped and it's been over a year since and it's been so hard to get back. I'm finally getting back in a routine but have only gone a couple times.

I tried to eat intuitively but I feel that I really do need to count and log my food/calories and I have to accept that. I can still try to eat intuitively along with logging.

I need to lose at least a good 50 to start and then I'll work on possibly another 50; I do not have a goal weight but more a goal body and being fit and healthy.

So, here I am and realizing I need more support and also I want to be there for others on a similar journey. Anyone can add me!
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    theresa120 wrote: »
    Hey Theresa,

Mark

Hmmm, I’ll have to read up on intermittent fasting as I’d never considered it. Skipping breakfast goes against everything I’ve been told my entire life! lol I don’t necessarily need to lose the weight quickly. I just want to be lean and healthy when all is said and done.

Thanks for the advice! I’ll definitely look into it :smile:

Feel free to add me. I lost a lot of weight previously, 75ish pounds, but did it in a way that wasn't sustainable long term and was mentally taking a toll on me. I ended up putting the weight back on plus an extra 25. 35, 5'3", female, from Pennsylvania. Starting weight 272.5 (highest was 275) on June19th, now down about 25 pounds. Current exercise is hiking, biking, krav maga (with some supplemental heavy bag classes and a boxing class), and long walks with the dog. I will also be adding in some weight lifting soon and hope to change the long walks with the dog into the two of us starting a couch to 5k.

Just as Mark suggested, you should also research his suggestion. IF and not eating until at least 11, usually not eating until 12 or 1, works for me. But, it works for me because I get hungry later in the day and trying to save calories for later gives me anxiety. I usually split my calories relatively evenly and eat around noon, four, and eight.

However, it may not work for you. He is right that you should still work beer in because it's important for your mental health and making a life long change that you see this as a life long way of eating. Eat in a way that works for you and gives you the nutrition you need but let's you have a treat every once in a while. You don't have to go fast, and going slow can actually be to your benefit when it comes to maintenance. If you do want to speed it up, usually the recommendation is to not lose more than 1% of your body weight per week.

Also, to combat the lean muscle mass loss that Mark was discussing, you may want to consider playing with your macros to bump up your protein. Even if you don't, your protein goal should be considered a minimum and not a maximum. Also, you may want to consider adding in some strength training to help maintain the muscle mass you have. It doesn't have to be fancy and can be as simple as some body weight fitness. Good luck!! And always feel free to PM me.
  • bluepoppy88
    bluepoppy88 Posts: 10 Member
    I'm 30
    Hw 262
    Sw 224
    Cw 206
    Gw 140 ish
    Feel free to add me
  • Mike9294
    Mike9294 Posts: 87 Member
    Add me!
  • JasmijnRF
    JasmijnRF Posts: 184 Member
    31 from The Netherlands. :)
  • NicelyVulgar
    NicelyVulgar Posts: 7 Member
    Count me in! 33 from Wisconsin....land of cheese and beer 😊. Feel free to add me! Always looking to make connections!
  • gailthomaschelt
    gailthomaschelt Posts: 1 Member
    Me too :)
  • TheFutureMrsLewis
    TheFutureMrsLewis Posts: 64 Member
    Add me! I'm 33, 260 now, always looking for support and also to return the support and be here for anyone who needs an ear or shoulder
  • Scorpio8402
    Scorpio8402 Posts: 554 Member
    I’m 33 and starting over...again. Anyone can feel free to add me! Lost 80 pounds before and then had 2 kids back to back, health took a backseat and stress got the best of me (I love eating my emotions) so I’m at 216 right now. Can never have enough encouragement and support!
  • majordanielle
    majordanielle Posts: 1 Member
    I would like to be part of this group! I'm a 35 year old mom of three from Ottawa Ontario.
  • terrordawg
    terrordawg Posts: 19,462 Member
    @gailthomaschelt I can’t seem to send you a friend request! Maybe try sending one to me?