August 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Just shows me that, if im not gonna put in the work, i won't see the pay off.

One of the best quotes on marathons is from a running buddy of mine after he had a disappointing result. He said, "I didn't run the marathon I wanted to, but I ran the marathon I trained for."

That is plaque worthy. I'm putting it in my journal.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    garygse wrote: »
    @Elise4270 I bought two bunches today...that should be enough to last a couple of days or so. :blush:

Green or fully ripend. I like mine just barely peelable, firm starchy green.

That's the only way I like to eat bananas but I can't :(. Not worth the 3-5 hours of excruciating stomach cramps.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Got my September training plan from my coach tonight and I'm super pumped. Today is rest day again (though I will walk after the kids are in bed).
  • Elise4270
    Orphia wrote: »
    8/1/18 2.65
    8.25 was supposed to be 14. I couldn't get myself to go any further. I had done my second loop and stopped at home for some Nuun performance. Walked the block, put my water bottle back and started to run again. I got about .25 in and I couldn't go any further. I think this might be the end of my marathon training. 3 attempts and no starts means it's not destined to be. I will probably drop down to the half.

@RunsOnEspresso

Hugs. What date is the event?

Looks like you were trying to go from a longest run of 8 up to 14. Tough ask.

I don't believe in destiny.

There are other marathons, or just run the distance when you've done the training.

I wouldn't let the date of one specific event stop me from achieving a distance goal.

More hugs.

Its in November.

8 was my cut back week. I missed 12 due to my dog dying and my goal was to get 12 or 14 (I've beendoing up to 12 this summer). This is my 3rd attempt at a marathon and something keeps coming up. First I undertrained, second I got a bad sinus infection two weeks before and got dizzy when I tried to run so had to drop out and now that I've got the dizzy worked out I have fatigue. It just feels like its not meant to be.

Yet.

Just a course adjustment. Dont write it off, yet.
  • Elise4270
    @katharmonic @shanaber I'm glad i can share a few helpful thoughts. I understand my own short comings, just lack the will to help myself. Although, i feel like September will be an ideal month to start training properly.

"Do Better" should apply to my training. Not just my diet.

@sarahthes How about a half ripe banana? They bother your stomach? I've tried hiding the riper ones in yogurt and almond butter, but it's no good. They're only good for banana nut like pancakes, or banana bread.
  • kcs76
    kcs76 Posts: 244 Member
    I've been so tired from work that I don't think I've run since....sometime last week. Between 13 hr days and disgusting heat plus homework, it's not looking good for this week either :(

I have a question about something that happened tonight. I was driving home, well past dark and as I was about to make my turn, was shocked to see a runner like...right there about to run into my car. I almost hit her. Now, as far as vehicular traffic, I had the right of way. The cross street (she was about to cross in front of me) has a stop sign. I know that cyclists are supposed to obey standard traffic laws, and I thought that applied to runners too? I know I do. Is that not a thing? The other thing is, it was WELL after dark. She didn't have a stitch of anything reflective on. Nothing. Now that I've calmed down, maybe she had set out earlier and didn't expect to still be running? The sun set a little after 8pm, and this happened about 9:45. I was shocked and twitchy, but honestly I was a little pissed too. I wanted to yell at her for being so foolish to run without wearing something reflective or carrying a flasher/light. I don't get how she thought she could be seen?

Am I in the wrong about runners following traffic rules when running in areas with steady to heavy traffic?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    8/1/18 2.65
    8.25 was supposed to be 14. I couldn't get myself to go any further. I had done my second loop and stopped at home for some Nuun performance. Walked the block, put my water bottle back and started to run again. I got about .25 in and I couldn't go any further. I think this might be the end of my marathon training. 3 attempts and no starts means it's not destined to be. I will probably drop down to the half.

@RunsOnEspresso

Hugs. What date is the event?

Looks like you were trying to go from a longest run of 8 up to 14. Tough ask.

I don't believe in destiny.

There are other marathons, or just run the distance when you've done the training.

I wouldn't let the date of one specific event stop me from achieving a distance goal.

More hugs.

Its in November.

8 was my cut back week. I missed 12 due to my dog dying and my goal was to get 12 or 14 (I've beendoing up to 12 this summer). This is my 3rd attempt at a marathon and something keeps coming up. First I undertrained, second I got a bad sinus infection two weeks before and got dizzy when I tried to run so had to drop out and now that I've got the dizzy worked out I have fatigue. It just feels like its not meant to be.

Yet.

Just a course adjustment. Dont write it off, yet.

Listen to @Elise4270 - you can do this. :)
  • Elise4270
    edited August 2018
    kcs76 wrote: »
    I've been so tired from work that I don't think I've run since....sometime last week. Between 13 hr days and disgusting heat plus homework, it's not looking good for this week either :(

I have a question about something that happened tonight. I was driving home, well past dark and as I was about to make my turn, was shocked to see a runner like...right there about to run into my car. I almost hit her. Now, as far as vehicular traffic, I had the right of way. The cross street (she was about to cross in front of me) has a stop sign. I know that cyclists are supposed to obey standard traffic laws, and I thought that applied to runners too? I know I do. Is that not a thing? The other thing is, it was WELL after dark. She didn't have a stitch of anything reflective on. Nothing. Now that I've calmed down, maybe she had set out earlier and didn't expect to still be running? The sun set a little after 8pm, and this happened about 9:45. I was shocked and twitchy, but honestly I was a little pissed too. I wanted to yell at her for being so foolish to run without wearing something reflective or carrying a flasher/light. I don't get how she thought she could be seen?

Am I in the wrong about runners following traffic rules when running in areas with steady to heavy traffic?

I think you have every right to be pissed. Unless it was a crosswalk, she should be waiting on you to clear. That just seems obvious safety that a pedestrian understands the cars gonna win, right or wrong. In no world should a runner have entered the roadway at night without proper reflective gear, eye contact and have expected a vehicle to see them.

Crazy lady. Haha! Glad you are a smart and aware driver.

ETA i dont think a runner has any rights to the road. They can't approach a 4way stop and expect thier turn. They yield to traffic and cross with the protection of the light. No light. Use common sense. Communicate. Wait for the go ahead.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2018
    kcs76 wrote: »

Oh man, that sounds scary. It is very common for runners in my neighborhood not to even slow down at stop signs. That said, I also believe that pedestrians have the right away at any intersection unless there's a light, so if she had a stop sign and you didn't, she would still have the right away. This is going to be city specific, though, and of course plenty of drivers don't yield when they should, or see you, or whatever. I kind of get getting caught out late unprepared, but that's the time to be extra careful!

ETA: In my city pedestrians legally have the right-away even in intersections without crosswalks. Of course, this is rarely enforced, and is no reason to be stupid after dark. I cross an intersection like this at the beginning of many of my runs and I always stop first, make eye contact, and wear bright clothing. With all due respect, @Elise4270, I pay taxes the same as drivers and if I had to wait for someone to wave me across the street before crossing, I'd never get home!
  • Elise4270
    @MegaMooseEsq A runner does not have to stop and yield to road traffic where you are? I dont think that's a thing here. If a pedestrian enters a cross walk traffic must stop.... Maybe thats the same thing? Hmm.

@kcs76 might not listen to me here... Larger towns maybe. Come to think of it... I think moose is right. I aways step out for traffic to stop. Dh hates it, says i should wait. But hey, nah they stop. Visit any larger city. Hey, im walking here, right? Smaller town, ive forgotten the rules.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    In my city pedestrians have the right of way at intersections unless they have not yet entered the intersection and the car is going into the far lane (or something like that).

I don't have much as far as reflective clothes (little on my vest/shoes) but I carry a light and shine it both ways before entering the intersection. I will also make a right turn and run further down some blocks so I can have a better view/less traffic. I've almost been hit by people at stop signs though because they don't think cars or pedestrians would ever be coming? Most barely slow down in my neighborhood. And yet I see people out walking/running in all black, no reflective clothes and no light. I don't get it.