200 pounds and so much more

I hit the big milestone today that I've been looking forward to since I started my weight loss journey. 200 pounds lost. Well, 203 pounds to be exact. I've never really gotten emotional through out my weight loss journey but today after seeing that number I sat down and cried for a good 10 minutes. It still shocks and amazes me how different my life is now compared to where it was 18 months ago.

I'm really embarrassed to share personal stories with strangers, but my doctor encouraged me to post this, she figured it would do me good to tell others about what I went through. So here goes...

I've been fat my entire life. I weighed 300 pounds by the time I was 14 years old. My weight got in the way of a lot of things in my life. I rarely dated, didn't have many friends, preferred to stay in my home where people couldn't look at me. I never dreamed of getting married or starting a family. Who in their right mind would want to marry someone like me? In march of 2017 I weighed 485 pounds. I was an alcoholic. A smoker. A diabetic. I couldn't stop eating or drinking and I could feel my body breaking down. I was on 11 different medications for diabetes, heart issues, and a variety of other medical problems. I was 36 years old and I really expected I would die by the age of 40. Alone.

One day, during one of my many doctors visits for health problems, I broke down in front of my doctor after hearing yet another description of just how terrible a shape my body was in. I told her I felt hopeless and trapped and that no matter how much I thought I wanted to get better I just couldn't find the will power to stop eating and drinking and smoking. That I felt depressed and had resigned myself to the fact it was going to kill me. But my doctor said something that I hadn't really considered. That maybe I'm not depressed because I can't stop eating and drinking, but maybe I can't stop eating and drinking because I'm using them as a coping mechanism because I'm depressed. I had never really thought of myself as being depressed outside of my weight issues, but I went along with it. I started seeing a psychologist and taking an anti-depressant.

I've known a few people who suffered from depression, and who were on one or more anti-depressants and had been doing therapy, and it didn't really seem to help them, so I was skeptical. Nothing really changed for a while. But after about a month I noticed that I really didn't feel like drinking anymore. And without the alcohol I stopped smoking too since those went hand in hand for me. And then one day I realized I had a craving for vegetables. Which was weird. Ive always hated vegetables unless they were a garnish on pizza or a cheeseburger. But I started eating more veggies with every meal and I started noticing I wasn't feeling the desire to eat as often. And then one day I felt like getting a gym membership. I only spent 5 minutes working out my first day there, but at least it was something.

Each day I started making more and more small changes. And the weight started coming off. Fast. By July I decided I wanted to track my diet and exercise more precisely, so on June 30th I signed up with MFP and started tracking everything. Over time I kind of came up with my own diet which doesn't really follow any particular diet plan, and my own exercise routine which doesn't really follow any particular program, but it worked for me. Over time I felt my self confidence increasing. I felt like I could conquer anything - even my fear of dating.

Every day feels like it gets even better. I no longer take any medication other than the anti-depressant. My diabetes is diet controlled and in remission, and all of my other health issues have vanished. I enjoy going to the gym on a daily basis and love cooking with lots of vegetables and lean meats. I still enjoy cheeseburgers and pizza, and even the occasional drink with friends. I met and fell in love with the most amazing woman I've ever met in my life. And for some reason she seems to like me a lot too.

When I look at how my life is now, and how much potential the future holds, compared to how hopeless and lost I felt before, I feel like I'm looking back at someone else's memories. It's hard for me to believe that my life could flip in the complete other direction than it was heading, in such a short period of time.

I still have more to lose. My ultimate goal is to lose 300 pounds and get down to 185, but that may be a bit too much to try for. We'll see...

485 pounds, shortly before starting this journey:
ltgxabazhd40.jpg

427 pounds a few months into it:
9i49k025av5s.jpg

282 pounds, today:
e9742naxyf4k.jpg

Replies

• SunnyB0126
    SunnyB0126 Posts: 103 Member
    Wow what an inspiring story.. happy for you!
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Absolutely amazing 👏
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    What great a story! Thank you for sharing.
  • MTOLOSE956
    MTOLOSE956 Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you for sharing your story with us...my eyes got watery. You don't know the difference you are making by sharing.
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    What a fantastic story! Thank you for sharing, it's so very inspiring. Anything is possible, if you really put your mind to it. You look great, awesome job!
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Oh wow! What a journey you've been on! Congrats on the loss and thanks for sharing your story!
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Congrats on the success!
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    So pleased for you that you found the opportunity to seek proper support from your doctor and the strength to do what was necessary for your health. Super bonus that you met someone to share love with. Best of luck for the remaining push to goal and future maintenance - you definitely got this, just don't take your eye off the ball X
  • nabslilley
    nabslilley Posts: 2 Member
    Hi, just read your story, I joined today (properly) feeling like what I'm trying to do won't really work but trying anyway...having read you're story I feel inspired and much more positive, I think I can achieve it!! A super well done to you!!
  • juhishringi6
    juhishringi6 Posts: 55 Member
    Ur doing a great work congrts
  • mand1964
    mand1964 Posts: 1 Member
    Truly inspiring and shows that even where there seems to be no hope that you can change your life.
  • Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member
    So awesome that you need to change your name. . . no chubby face any longer! Congrats and kudos for sharing your story. You're an inspiration.
  • ktmiowa
    ktmiowa Posts: 13 Member
    Wow! this is what I needed to read today - thank you!
  • cjv73
    cjv73 Posts: 240 Member
    Amazing story, congratulations!
  • times60
    times60 Posts: 204 Member
    Your story is a true inspiration. So glad you shared it. I am having the toughest time trying to loose weight and reading this has given me hope. You are an amazing man and truly strong and determined. Enjoy every minute of life and love because you deserve it. Thank you for sharing
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Inspiring post, congrats and good luck for the future 💪👍
  • randielizabethwatts
    randielizabethwatts Posts: 51 Member
    You look awesome! Amazing job!
  • Pratt35184
    Pratt35184 Posts: 1 Member
    Wow! Great job and very inspiring. I think you may need a new screen name. 😊 You no longer have a chubby face just a handsome one. Good luck with your girlfriend and future!
  • YadaYadaYada64
    YadaYadaYada64 Posts: 50 Member
    Your story made my day. You obviously have a great sense of humor and can poke fun at yourself - believe me, girls love that. Best wishes to you and your girl. Enjoy your wonderful future!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!