Cheese substitute

annk18
annk18 Posts: 85 Member
Any recommendations for cheese substitutes that are reasonably edible. Almost everything I have tried that is dairy free, doesn't cook well or taste that good. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Replies

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    I like the Daiya shredded cheese. I've used it in eggs, and on salads or wraps. The cheddar and the pepper jack were both pretty good.
  • annk18
    annk18 Posts: 85 Member
    Thanks. Does it melt? I believe I try to Cheddar once, and it didn't melt well. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong and I should try again.
  • suibhan6
    suibhan6 Posts: 81 Member
    I'd also like to know of any melty cheese substitutes... that also do not contain tree nuts. I can't eat most of those... and the purpose of cheese is to melt, by and large! Thanks in advance....
  • PaleoPebbles
    PaleoPebbles Posts: 2 Member
    Personally, I can't stand the taste of non-dairy cheeses either. The only one I've tried that melts nicely, is soy based, but it hasn't much flavour. So, I've decided to eliminate them altogether . Lets see how far that decision goes!
  • dangerousdashie
    dangerousdashie Posts: 119 Member
    Miyoko’s Vegan Mozz! It’s amazing and melts! Kind of pricy though. I made a low carb Paleo bacon quesadilla with it and psyllium husk/coconut flour tortillas. It was amazing.
  • MyEvolvingJourney
    MyEvolvingJourney Posts: 369 Member
    Great suggestions! This is something that I was curious about myself. It doesn't get melty, but I've used nutritional yeast in place of parmesan on my "spaghetti." When we have spaghetti for dinner, my hubby and son have gf noodles and I love the sauce over roasted veggies!