What’s your take on Multi-Vitamins?

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    Isn't it 3c per day whether it is all absorbed or not ??

But, yes, I agree - not a big expense unless one is buying some sort of high end brand.

I just don't think they are neccesary for most people and so unless I had a specific reason, I would not take them. Nothing to do with cost.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Useless, and might be costly for your help in a few instances. Anything that includes B12 raises Vitamin B12 serum levels, effectively masking a deficiency. Yet the dosage is generally far too low to actually give you enough B12. If you have an absorption problem then your doctor will not see this and it's likely you'll develop nerve damage.

Iron is another one. Iron doesn't get absorbed well in presence of calcium, yet commonly both are present. If your doctor only checks iron levels and not ferritin your test might come back normal while you might be anemic. Even a steak raises iron levels. And taking iron with things such a calcium is rather useless anyway.

Also calcium and magnesium should not be taken together, and lots of other things neither as only one is preferentially absorbed. Ok, that might not matter much as dosages in multivitamins tend to be too low anyway to be of any use.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    Useless, and might be costly for your help in a few instances. Anything that includes B12 raises Vitamin B12 serum levels, effectively masking a deficiency. Yet the dosage is generally far too low to actually give you enough B12. If you have an absorption problem then your doctor will not see this and it's likely you'll develop nerve damage.

Iron is another one. Iron doesn't get absorbed well in presence of calcium, yet commonly both are present. If your doctor only checks iron levels and not ferritin your test might come back normal while you might be anemic. Even a steak raises iron levels. And taking iron with things such a calcium is rather useless anyway.

Also calcium and magnesium should not be taken together, and lots of other things neither as only one is preferentially absorbed. Ok, that might not matter much as dosages in multivitamins tend to be too low anyway to be of any use.

Absolutely right on! I do take a multi but just an el cheapo,im very surprised that all multis contain both iron and calcium cuz my doc said that calcium blocks out iron when taken together
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    whitpauly wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »

Absolutely right on! I do take a multi but just an el cheapo,im very surprised that all multis contain both iron and calcium cuz my doc said that calcium blocks out iron when taken together

My multi doesn't have Iron.

Look for the ones for older people.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    JAMA: Given Their Potential for Harm, It’s Time to Focus on the Safety of Supplements
    Aaron Carroll, MD, MS on August 15, 2018

Supplements, including vitamins, minerals, and herbal products, are a huge business in the United States. US consumers spend about $30 billion on them every year. Despite uncertain benefits and possible harm, their interest in supplement use, for children as well as adults, remains undeterred.

Anything we do for health has to be considered in the context of benefits and harms. When the former outweighs the latter, it’s reasonable to proceed. But in the case of supplements, for many if not most people, the benefits appear to be minimal to nonexistent. The potential harms on the other hand are real and documented. Given this, it’s hard to understand why patients are using them in such increasing numbers. Physicians may need to push back harder than we have in the past.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    I personally feel that a multivitamin is a waste of money. You are better off having your vitamin and mineral levels tested and then supplementing only what you are deficient in. I personally supplement with D3, K2, Iodine, Zinc, and Magnesium as I tested deficient in all 5.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    elysahan wrote: »
    Hey MFP Fam!

What do you think of Multi-Vitamins? Are they an important part of your health and wellness journey and if yes, what do you take? And if no, why not?

Like many, I feel like they can't hurt and can fill in any gaps there might be. I also agree that going with a generic multi vitamin/multi mineral supplement instead of fancy designer ones and especially the "made just for you" packs are a waste of money.

In addition to a multi I do take a couple of extras recommended or prescribed by my Dr. for specific situations: D-3 because I am prone to depression and live in the north, Magnesium because I am prone to nocturnal cramps, and prescription potassium because I tend to be lower than ideal.

I am supposed to take some kind of fish oil to help with HDL but I haven't found one yet that doesn't cause me to burp up a fishy taste . . . and I HATE fish.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    I add things that are high in vitamins, mineral amino acids to my smoothies. Moringa's leaves retain lots of vitamins and minerals when dried and is used in India and Africa in feeding programs to fight malnutrition. I also supplement with powdered seaweed due to its high mineral content, including iodine (I am hypothyroid and just feel better when I take it). I also like bone meal broth powder and colostrum.
  • Pardyqueenxoxo
    Pardyqueenxoxo Posts: 218 Member
    I take my B vits, cod liver and evening primrose
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited August 2018
    I personally feel that a multivitamin is a waste of money. You are better off having your vitamin and mineral levels tested and then supplementing only what you are deficient in. I personally supplement with D3, K2, Iodine, Zinc, and Magnesium as I tested deficient in all 5.

I do wonder about the practicality & feasibility of this for most people. Doctors do not, in my experience, routinely check unless there are symptoms. I’ve been experiencing hair loss and I only had B12 & Iron tested (along with my thyroid). Which were fine. The next step is not to test all the vitamins, but to take a multi and see what happens. I think tests like that are pricey & if you are on good private insurance that will cover it or can pay out of pocket, it’s probably worthwhile. But if you are in an area where this is coming from public coverage or you can’t afford it, your doctor needs a good reason to check each individual vitamin.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I am supposed to take some kind of fish oil to help with HDL but I haven't found one yet that doesn't cause me to burp up a fishy taste . . . and I HATE fish.

Protip: Try refrigerating your fish oil caps. I keep mine in the 'fridge and never get fish burps. Some people have even resorted to freezing them, but I haven't had to go that far.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Protip: Try refrigerating your fish oil caps. I keep mine in the 'fridge and never get fish burps. Some people have even resorted to freezing them, but I haven't had to go that far.

Tried that but it didn't help. Never thought to try the freezer.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

You know I'm on Team Anvil - but that sounds like the wooiest woo that ever did woo.

:lol:

I'm with earlnabby - ain't no way no how.

I do like fish though, just not those fish burps.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    I tend to eat the same foods a lot, so I started taking a multivitamin last year, at age 58. No idea if it helps at all. Seeing the answers here, maybe I should do a little research.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Expensive pee seems to be the dismissive remark in this thread.

How much do you think Multivitamins cost? Mine cost me about three cents per day. I'm guessing some of it is beneficial, even if it's only half absorbed that's only one and a half cents per day.

That's not expensive by even Third World standards.

Agreed, I tend to think of it as “cheap insurance” rather than “expensive pee”

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Multivitamins have never changed my bloodwork.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    As a post bariatric surgery patient I have known malabsorption issues. I’ve been instructed to be on a variety of vitamins and minerals for life.

A pregnancy or teen multi has the folic acid I need. That, plus calcium citrate and extra vitamin D I take daily.
  • elegantone
    elegantone Posts: 3 Member
    I take Mar-Vites daily, calcium pyvent and Caraluma daily as recommend by my doctor. I also get a B12 combo shot once a week at weight loss clinic. Trying to get my BP done so I can start taking appetite suppreesent.
  • Gadow18
    Gadow18 Posts: 3 Member
    A women's multi and a Vitamin D3 per doctors orders. When pregnant, I took prenatal vitamins, and my doctor checked D, and it was very low even with prenatal vitamins. So I figure if my D3 is low on my own, there's probably others low too, and I take the multi as a just in case.
  • gstaubs1
    gstaubs1 Posts: 200 Member
    I take a one a day vitamin every morning with my coffee lol