August 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• kcs76
    kcs76 Posts: 244 Member
    No offense taken at all @MegaMooseEsq I'm a very cautious driver as well. Unfortunately, in the area where I live, aggressive driving is the norm. Had it been a crosswalk, I would have been angry at myself for not being attentive. I guess I was just so unsettled about how easy it would have been for me to hit her, and frustrated with her lack of reflective gear or light. I know it's not the cutest stuff, I would prefer to run in all black or dark colors myself because that's what I like. I'm all for runners/bikers right to share the roads, but there is some responsibility on their part regarding making themselves visible.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    No run yesterday, as it was a travel day for me. This morning C25K W2D1 intervals for speedwork 2.56 miles for 68.13/55 miles completed.

exercise.png
  • travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @MegaMooseEsq A runner does not have to stop and yield to road traffic where you are? I dont think that's a thing here. If a pedestrian enters a cross walk traffic must stop.... Maybe thats the same thing? Hmm.

@kcs76 might not listen to me here... Larger towns maybe. Come to think of it... I think moose is right. I aways step out for traffic to stop. Dh hates it, says i should wait. But hey, nah they stop. Visit any larger city. Hey, im walking here, right? Smaller town, ive forgotten the rules.

----
    Every where I've driven it's pedestrian has the right of way. Mind you in Ontario they see you and they still drive or won't give way or know how to merge, talk and text on the phone. It's the worst province when it comes to respect for human life. Reason I rather wait if I'm walking is because in Ontario they see you, and you cross they will drive right up to you as your crossing where you were there first or not. They get so close you can literally touch their car if you reach out.
    Now, how bad is it where you live?
  • travelling_lots
    On cars / pedestrians: Where I live, drivers don't care about pedestrians whether they see us or not. I was in Omaha (nearest major city) last weekend and had several drivers try to hit me when I was crossing in a crosswalk with a walk signal. In 3 cases, I tapped on their vehicle (not hard enough to dent, but hard enough for them to notice) as they were in my space.
    ---
    Maybe it's time to carry rotten tomatoes. So if they pull a stunt throw one at them. If the call the police. Love to see how they complain about that one. But then ....... what if the *kitten* has a gun. ......maybe not a good idea!
  • travelling_lots
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    re: pedestrians
    i assume as a runner, no one sees me. i often wear reflective or lighted items. my dogs leashes are also reflective. but still. i also acknowledge a person when they let me go. i do the same when i'm merging onto the free. thank you for not being a turd.
    as a driver, i assume no one sees me. i assume everyone is in their own little world. some people are jerk drivers, some have brain farts, some have not had enough coffee

This is great wisdom.

--
    I'm with you on that. I do the same as a driver, if they let me in, I always acknowledge them, not only as a curtesy thank you, but to make them aware I saw and I'm accepting.

As a pedestrian I say thanks but you go. Lol
  • travelling_lots
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Re: pedestrians vs cars

My philosophy as a pedestrian is that it honestly doesn't matter who has the right of way. In a battle between vehicle and person, the vehicle will almost always win.

Therefore the onus is on me as pedestrian to make sure that cars can see me and know my intentions (cross or don't cross), and that they're going to stop, before I start to cross. So that means reflective clothing, headlamp, flashing arm bands, and as few street crossings as possible when it is dark. And I wait for them to stop before I cross, especially if it's wet and icy.

I think you're spot on here. I get frustrated with late night runners/bikers who cover themselves in black because how am I supposed to see that? As a runner and biker, I get frustrated with drivers who don't move over and give me space! But ultimately, me against a car - I'll always be the loser so I might as well do what I can to protect myself.

June goal - 44/44
    July goal - 52/52
    August goal - 53/57 miles

Sept. 30 - Wineglass Half Marathon; Corning, NY
    October 7 - Viking Dash Half Marathon; Toledo, OH
    --
    I agree 100% with you and @sarahthes better safe than sorry. And yes between a car vs person. Car will always wins.
    Wish some cars would figure that out when it comes to trucks, they don't stand a chance either.
    Just saw a bad accident today car vs truck. And truck had right of way.
  • travelling_lots
    edited August 2018
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    @AprilRN10 and @PastorVincent I went! And didn't actually get rained on haha

If running is going to be your sport, then you will need to learn to run in the rain. I mean unless you leave in a desert area. :D

Funny thing about rain for me (and others have said the same) if I am getting ready to run and it is already raining I dread going out. If I am already running and it starts raining I do not care. Its totally a stupid mind thing I know, but it is what it is.

Oh I know this, and its part of my training that I must run no matter what the weather. And I'm with you, I don't actually mind getting wet, its actually more pleasant. But also like you I dread going out if its already raining. I think this all comes back to the day that I went out and my shoes got absolutely soaked, and they were like little blocks of concrete on the ends of my legs. Also still winter here, so rain means cold, and I'm not particularly fond of cold either.

Now wind on the other had. I HATE wind. absolutely loathe it.

The first half marathon (and only so far) I did was in the middle of winter, it was only 10 degrees (C) and pouring with rain. The course was a U shape along the waterfront of Wellington, NZ (known as the windy city for a reason) and there was a wind blowing into the U, so you started with a tail wind, had a side wind, then a head wind, and reverse on the way back. I had not trained properly for that HM and I was in AGONY. I managed the first 7 km or so fine. walked a bit, ran a bit for the next 5k or so. then trudged cold and wet to the finish line. The ONLY reason I finished if because my ride home was at the finish. I was 12th to last and did it in 3 hrs 7 minutes. I remember walking along with my wrists in my armpits because they were freezing. I was wearing cotton cause I didn't know any better.

Every time I drove past the waterfront all I could remember is pain. This was 7 years ago. and the main reason it took 6 years to get into running properly again. couple of pics below - I was too cheap to buy them and at the time I just wanted to forget it.

So yeah, pretty determined to actually train properly this time, and to beat my last time. I'd kinda like to beat it by an hour but Ill be happy with anything less than 2:30. Oh and I want to run the whole thing but wont beat myself up if I have to walk at all. That's one thing you guys have given me, even the most experienced runner occasionally has to walk.

x55nrz85ymn1.jpg
    xuc8kjvsm3xc.jpg

P.S. that was a long winded way of saying "yes sir"

--
    Great photos, good for you!
    Congrats!
    I love walking or running in the rain. It's like your inner child comes out. Love the feeling of freedom.
    I do wear a cap and sunglasses. Makes it easier to see. I'm scared of tripping from rain in my eyes.
  • travelling_lots

---
    I checked out your link. That is one cool vest. I can't tell if it has room for a cell phone and a health card. You know just in case.
    Still trying to figure this site. Couldn't find the thread to reply. Hehehe.
  • travelling_lots

Here is the Amazon.com link

Hmm I will have to consider that. I have blinky lights for my arms, but all my work out gear is black... as are most of my clothes. I do not use a lamp, I have not needed it, but that will change with my new house. A lot fewer street lights on my new route. Still on summer-clocks here so still light out when I run, but darkness is inching up on us.

I combine the vest with blinky lights. Got asked if I was a Christmas tree last year... (red/green lights)

I hope you put the red on the left and the green on the right or you will just confuse everyone!

Might give someone a seizure! :smiley:

--
    I don't get what you guys mean about the red and green part
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    So rain... still running
    Thunder and lightning...maaaaybe
    Flooding...maaaybe
    Tornadoes touching down...nope.
    I hope my body lets me get up to run in the morning. And hope the weather is a little friendlier.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    8/1: 1.19
    8/3: 4.07
    8/4: 5
    8/5: 6.04
    8/9: 2.9
    8/11: 17
    8/12: 3
    8/13: 4.5
    8/14: 1.1
    8/16: 2
    8/18: 5
    8/19: 6.5
    8/21: 4.5
    8/23: 1.2
    8/24: 2.72
    8/25: 3.11 (race) + 2.02
    8/26: 20!!!
    8/28: 2.1

Total: 93.35/100

9/3 Labor Day Road Race 10K
    9/30 Wineglass Marathon

I thought I was feeling great after my weekend runs, but my legs did NOT want to move tonight! I’m not sore, just tired in the legs. Only 2 miles tonight, but I have 3 days left to do less than 7 miles, so I’m not concerned with making my 100.

As far as cars vs. runners, I always yield to the car, no matter the law, because I know I would be smushed. Usually, I find that cars will slow/stop and wave me across, but not always.
  • travelling_lots

Here is the Amazon.com link

Hmm I will have to consider that. I have blinky lights for my arms, but all my work out gear is black... as are most of my clothes. I do not use a lamp, I have not needed it, but that will change with my new house. A lot fewer street lights on my new route. Still on summer-clocks here so still light out when I run, but darkness is inching up on us.

I combine the vest with blinky lights. Got asked if I was a Christmas tree last year... (red/green lights)

I hope you put the red on the left and the green on the right or you will just confuse everyone!

Might give someone a seizure! :smiley:

--
    I don't get what you guys mean about the red and green part

lol in nautical terms, and aeronautical, red light is always on the left of the boat, green on the right. That way at night or low light/visibility you can always tell the orientation of the boat/aircraft you are looking at. its also important when entering/leaving harbors. Green lights on the right, red on the left entering, opposite when leaving. or you end up running aground. gee my nerd is showing haha. I live on an island so I guess it makes sense I would know it.

Thank you I'm tired. I thought it may be that. But then somone said Christmas tree, then sezures. Then I was thinking whaaat..?