Too much sodium?

So I weight 353 and trying to lose a lot. I'm doing great calorie-wise but I take in way too much sodium, often over 3000mg a day. Any suggestions to how I can reduce this?

Replies

• dragonghost
    dragonghost Posts: 68 Member
    edited August 2018
    With out seeing your diary it is tough to suggest something since unsure what your eating.

Though if your eating a lot of processed food that could be your problem.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I don't think you should worry about sodium, not at this stage, and not in isolation. I think like PP that readymeals will be driving up your sodium, but readymeals will also probably turn out to be less satisfying when you're eating less overall, so the "problem" will resolve itself as you start cooking more from scratch, because then you can add as little or much salt you want; premade foods use salt as a preservative. And cooking from scatch does not presuppose elaborate dishes, a simple meal of meat, starch and veg is an acceptably healthy meal.
  • nhardee89
    nhardee89 Posts: 14 Member
    I don't think you should worry about sodium, not at this stage, and not in isolation. I think like PP that readymeals will be driving up your sodium, but readymeals will also probably turn out to be less satisfying when you're eating less overall, so the "problem" will resolve itself as you start cooking more from scratch, because then you can add as little or much salt you want; premade foods use salt as a preservative. And cooking from scatch does not presuppose elaborate dishes, a simple meal of meat, starch and veg is an acceptably healthy meal.

Yes I agree, I do believe the issue will resolve itself since I'll be preparing my own meals and avoiding fast and processed foods. You have given me great advice today, thank you and please stay in touch with me.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    nhardee89 wrote: »

Yes I agree, I do believe the issue will resolve itself since I'll be preparing my own meals and avoiding fast and processed foods. You have given me great advice today, thank you and please stay in touch with me.
    I would love to follow you on your journey. You've been very positive and receptive - rare traits in here if I dare to add - I think you will succeed.
  • redhometia
    redhometia Posts: 5 Member
    I have the same problem except more like twice the allowed amount! I live in an efficiency with only a micro! Dinners are usually at my daughter's so whatever she or her husband makes is what it is. Guess I'll just have to read more carefully. Just venting! Sorry.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    If you have swollen ankles and muscle cramping in your legs, or you are a recent heart procedure patient under doctors care, you should not worry about sodium. Its good for you. Its your electrolyte - the substance that keeps you from dying from organ failure. And, 3000mg should be the target, not 2300. Only politics and lobbying stand in the way now that billions are made on pointless "low sodium" products.

When in doubt, call the doctor.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    edited March 2020
    So I weight 353 and trying to lose a lot. I'm doing great calorie-wise but I take in way too much sodium, often over 3000mg a day. Any suggestions to how I can reduce this?

Do you have high blood pressure? Are you getting enough potassium?

[url=https://health.harvard.edu/heart-health/sodiumpotassium-ratio-important-for-health[/url]

If you have swollen ankles and muscle cramping in your legs, or you are a recent heart procedure patient under doctors care, you should not worry about sodium. Its good for you. Its your electrolyte - the substance that keeps you from dying from organ failure. And, 3000mg should be the target, not 2300. Only politics and lobbying stand in the way now that billions are made on pointless "low sodium" products.

The only thing you got right was to call a doctor, kindly refrain from giving conspiracy theory driven bad advice.....

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member

[url="http://"]https://health.harvard.edu/heart-health/sodiumpotassium-ratio-important-for-health[/url]

The only thing you got right was to call a doctor, kindly refrain from giving conspiracy theory driven bad advice.....

You know the study you cited has nothing to do with the actual topic here, right? And, it is directed to the opposite postulate of your introduction of the need for more potassium (which came from where?).
    But, I take it you like your low sodium products, Dr. Sharpe?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator

[url=https://health.harvard.edu/heart-health/sodiumpotassium-ratio-important-for-health[/url]

There are a lot of variables regarding sodium. Carb level, activity level, blood pressure, genetics/family history, etc.... But even then sodium doesn't cause high blood pressure, but it does cause a small transient increase post meal consumption. The bigger issue is huge swings in sodium consumption and eating processed foods. Anecdotally, when i dropped carbs and increased sodium, i still saw a decrease in both blood pressure and RHR.

Also, most of the evidence on salt consumption is rather weak and based on observational or epidemiological studies. If anything, its better to just focus on whole foods and not worrying about where sodium levels are.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Necro thread so the OP is not likely to be back but the advice can be helpful to others.

If your doctor is recommending limiting sodium, then try to do so. The easiest way to do this is eliminating as many pre-packaged foods and processed meats as possible and use single herbs and spices (instead of pre mixed seasonings which almost always have a lot of salt) to flavor food. Make your meals from meat, fresh (or frozen single item) veggies, and whole grains or beans an legumes. Buy beans dry and cook them up yourself with little or no salt. A 2 lb bag of black beans gives me the equivalent of 10 cans. I cook them and freeze them in 2 cup bags. A can of Bush's black beans is 480 mg per serving where cooked without salt is only 6 mg

If your doctor is keeping quiet about your sodium consumption, don't worry about it. As Lemon said, more important for the majority of people is to keep your sodium consumption relatively consistent.