Best protein powder

I know this may be a loaded question , haha. Female/age 41/5’5/ 125 lbs looking to tone and gain muscle. Looking for something as “clean” as possible with no extra junk in it.

Thanks!

Replies

• stej5639
    stej5639 Posts: 57 Member
    I use applied nutrition iso xp. 26g protein per serving, no carbs and no fat. Normally buy it on ebay and get a creatine in with it.
  • TheMagicOneMikeD
    TheMagicOneMikeD Posts: 94 Member
    I like Levels 100% grass fed non-gmo whey... I totally recommend this to anyone.

I also like that six-star whey isolate stuff from walmart, but most of the time I go with the Levels.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Are you planning on doing a recomp?

I personally like to get most of my protein from food, and hate protein shakes. I do use a bit of protein powder to mix in to yoghurt or blend into coffee though - I use both WPI and collagen protein (collagen mainly for hot coffee as it doesn't clump like whey)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Quest and Muscle Pharm are my personal favorites, but i would love and plan on trying PEscience
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    jenlameo wrote: »
    I know this may be a loaded question , haha. Female/age 41/5’5/ 125 lbs looking to tone and gain muscle. Looking for something as “clean” as possible with no extra junk in it.

Thanks!

canadianprotein.com The Birthday cake flavor is just delicious. As for clean, I agree with AnvilHead's comment on that.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    fb47 wrote: »

Thanks!

canadianprotein.com The Birthday cake flavor is just delicious. As for clean, I agree with AnvilHead's comment on that.

I second Canadian protein. I may have to try the birthday cake for when I'm on the go
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited August 2018
    Whey-RX is the cleanest I've found.

Designed by Dr Feigenbaum who is GMP certified and extremely strong powerlifter and a top shelf coach.

Ingrediants:
    30 servings of Non GMO Whey Isolate, Cocoa Powder, Natural Flavors, and Stevia.
    Each serving has 3 grams leucine, 1.5 grams valine, and 1.5 grams isoleucine.

So basically the catch all amount for all genders and ages.

No fillers, no protein spiking, no gums, thickeners, or additives.

I believe he has watermelon flavor and sour gummy, though he is working on adding other flavors. You can get them either caffeinated or non.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    My protein whey isolate. I use the unflavoured one
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited August 2018
    Among dozens+ I've used over the past 2 decades or so, I would have to say Quest makes some pretty palatable/quality protein powders (cookies & cream is awesome); a bit pricey but you get what you pay for (I rarely use protein powders nowadays). ON/optimum nutrition is pretty good as well as; Dymatize iso-100 chocolate brownie is also pretty palatable (company has had issues with labeling claims though/"protein spiking"). Prefer making into pudding consistency vs shakes

In general, flavoring wise, chocolate is pretty hard to screw up...vs. the nastiness of flavors like strawberry, banana, etc. Budget wise, vitamin shoppe makes a decent enough isolate chocolate flavor (if I recall, still uses a cross flow method/good bioavailability powder).

Can not comment on canadianprotein or PEScience (have yet to try, probably won't since I only now occasionally use protein bars)
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    jessef593 wrote: »
    fb47 wrote: »

Thanks!

I second Canadian protein. I may have to try the birthday cake for when I'm on the go

I tried most of their flavors via samples. My top 3 are Bday Cake, Salted Caramel and Maple Syrup. The Capuccino would be my 4th choice, it tastes like the Tim Hortons Iced Capuccino especially if you drink it with full fat milk.
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    I love myprotein! More you buy better deals they give you!
  • jenlameo
    jenlameo Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks everyone!!
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    edited September 2018
    I'm not a huge fan of the Quest taste. I like Lean Whey Revolution protein by MuscleSport. Whey protein isolate. Pretty clean/good ingredients. I like the Lean Charms (tastes like lucky charms!), Protella (tastes like nutella)!, or Chocolate Ice Cream flavors, but all the flavors are pretty good.
  • tttwww325
    tttwww325 Posts: 63 Member
    Personally i love Mutant iso surge protein...actually tastes great “birthday cake flavour”
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I use Integrated Supplements why isolate, because I can get it at Walmart and Target for a reasonable price. It is sweetened with Monk Fruit.

Whey whole (not isolate) tends to give me a little digestive problems, I haven't tried a lot of brands though. But I switched to cashew milk instead of cow milk, and with isolate it doesn't give me gas but regular whole whey does...so...I'm mildly lactose intolerant.
  • lilygarcia3
    lilygarcia3 Posts: 22 Member
    I like the ToneItUp protein powder, 15 g of protein, 90 calories, and it’s plant based. So no stomach aches after drinking the protein, which I’ve experienced with the regular whey protein. I should’ve tried the isolate but for now TIU is working for me. Oh! And their bars are great too. They do run on the pricey side.. they have them in Target. :)
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Great suggestions!
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited September 2018
    Something about birthday cake flavor/simple-hard to screw up formula/flavoring....One birthday cake flavor protein bars are all I use currently. No doubt it's a general favorite from these posts