The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,479 Member
    @RubyRed427 I agree with doni. You have been an inspiration to many of us all year. I am so proud of you and your determination to live AF. Journaling is an excellent idea. I want to try that too. When I look back and feel wistful or miss the boozy days, I want to remember the reality ; That is was terrible for me and caused me so much anxiety and shame.
  • islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    WOW! I just found this board and it's much more for me! Thanks, @JenT304 for starting this. It looks like I have 12 pages to read, but I noticed some familiar faces in the first few posts. <3
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,479 Member
    @islandbeez Welcome!! I'm glad you are here. It seems us telling it like it is (i.e we consider alcohol to be poisonous) was not welcome at the other thread so we needed a new one. Happy that you found us!! <3
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    @donimfp just as on TV ages ago we had the wayback machine I am going to give you a glimpse in the wayforward machine. I have been AF for a longer period of time and within the first 6 months my body shed dozens of pounds of fluid my BP kept improving my levels of exercise increased and you guessed it my sleep patterns kept changing for the better. It used to take me a long time to fall asleep and then eventually within 15 minutes of hitting the bed I am asleep and I sleep completely thru the night now( not withstanding the fact that I am up by 5AM and I get an early morning swim) I find using exercise helps me control mood, appetite, and sleep. I am semi retired and only work a few months a year I do tax work. Please don't be discouraged by the early changes your body is going to go thru, it is all for the better in the long run.
    I used to joke I sleep like a baby, with a bottle in hand. Its not so funny now looking back. I used to fall asleep in my chair in the evening having drank my way thru a pint or so of gin. Wake at 3 in the morning and then go up to bed. Now I manage to watch the news, get depressed at the goings on and then 11:30 hit the bed and am asleep in 10 or 15 minutes.
    Consider the amount of time your body had to adjust to the alcohol and the 30 days AF you have achieved and be proud of yourself and a little more patient for the changes that will follow.
    Good Health and good Losing
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    @Ke22yB, thank you for the words of wisdom and encouragement. With age comes patience, and I am for the most part going through this with the patient knowledge that, as you say, things will even out and get better. To paraphrase Maya Angelou, wouldn't take nothing for [this] journey now.

One up-side to reading nonsense at 3:30 a.m. a couple of funny "married people texts":

1. My wife and I did some role-playing in our bedroom last night. She was Interior Designer and I was Furniture Mover.
    2. Husband: I had salmon for lunch today.
    Wife: The "L" is silent, idiot.
    Husband: I knew that. I meant I had it for unch today.

Have a great, sober day everyone!!
  • islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    donimfp wrote: »
    One up-side to reading nonsense at 3:30 a.m. a couple of funny "married people texts":

1. My wife and I did some role-playing in our bedroom last night. She was Interior Designer and I was Furniture Mover.
    2. Husband: I had salmon for lunch today.
    Wife: The "L" is silent, idiot.
    Husband: I knew that. I meant I had it for unch today.

I love those silly posts! My sister married a man who was a straight up country boy and all of the people in their area pronounced the 'L' in salmon. It drove her crazy for the first few years but she got used to it because it would have just been disrespectful to correct your 90 yo grand-in-laws!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    islandbeez wrote: »
    WOW! I just found this board and it's much more for me! Thanks, @JenT304 for starting this. It looks like I have 12 pages to read, but I noticed some familiar faces in the first few posts. <3

Welcome! Happy to be on this journey with you and the others!
  • RubyRed427
    @donimfp and @JenT304 Thanks my dear friends! Love you!
  • RubyRed427
    I think my sleep patterns are linked to hormones in general. I also find it helpful to make sure you have no caffeine after 2 p.m. and try a sleep meditation on insight timer app. I think the body, mind and soul are just getting reacquainted with each other after all the unpredictable times spent drinking off and on. @donimfp And taking a hot bubble bath with candles around also soothes you.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Oh, and @RubyRed427, thanks for the suggestion. Until our triple-digit heat eases up (I think today was day 52 for the year) I can’t face a hot bath but I look forward to that as a strategy before too long.
  • RubyRed427
    edited September 2018
    @lorrainequiche59 You’ll just have to brush it aside and try not to think about it. I get how youre feeling though- you feel slighted and wronged because she’s maligning you, and you didnt have anything to do with her issues. Maybe you can protect yourself by not listening to the grapevine and tell your other friends, you don’t want to hear anymore about her. Just a suggestion.

No one poured alcohol in her mouth. She made the choice. We all make a choice every single day.
    Hugs xoxo
  • RubyRed427
    @donimfp You’re so right. The four agreements is so powerful. They even say don’t take anything personally because the person is projecting what they see in themselves onto you. Well, you know what I mean.

I imagine your skin is much better. I totally can see that. Don’t you feel like you have much more time to do things like the Clarisonic or take your time when cleaning your face... sometimes it’s amazing at how long an evening can last being sober. Lots of time to do anything we wish.
  • KristahMarie
    KristahMarie Posts: 6 Member
    I can get onboard with this. I don't like the flavor of alcohol. I never have. I don't know if anyone else has this, but, when I did drink, I would get this stabbing, "pins and needles" sensation in my jaw near my ears. It was so painfully annoying that I just decided to never drink again. So, my official "last drink" was 1 year ago.
  • RubyRed427
    I can get onboard with this. I don't like the flavor of alcohol. I never have. I don't know if anyone else has this, but, when I did drink, I would get this stabbing, "pins and needles" sensation in my jaw near my ears. It was so painfully annoying that I just decided to never drink again. So, my official "last drink" was 1 year ago.

Welcome ! I once heard that no one likes the taste of alcohol but we grow to accept it. But it really isn’t tasty - we just think it is. Congrats on one year!