Biggest swing yet: 10# in 57 hours. What's yours?

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Losing weight (-5lbs) day after eating like 5,000+ kcals of coconut butter...chalk it up to fluid balance changes/losses. Entire day spent driving traveling (similar losses), also from dehydration

5000+ calories of coconut butter? I am assuming it was in something and you didn't just eat it like pudding. What were you eating to get that much?

Wow... the day after would be... well.... explosive?
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I gained quite a bit from continuous IV fluids and prednisone in hospital (I fidn't have a scale and I lost the water weight before I got home- I was in for over a month). I was noticeably bigger

Prednisone is horrid stuff. Glad to see you are Ok.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I gained eight pounds after my last half marathon. I assume it was some combination of glycogen replenishment, electrolytes getting back into balance, rehydration, inflammation, etc. It was gone pretty quickly.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Football Practice in August.

11 pounds in 3 hours.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    I have lost 3 of the 10 pounds in 2 days. I am pretty sure I was dehydrated and didn't have much in my gut the days I was at my lowest as I skipped a couple of pounds on the way down; there is no way I was losing as quickly as the scale indicated. I expect i will only lose 5 or 6 of it quickly, which id fine. I went from the bottom of my 10 pound range to the top and will probably settle back into the middle and set goal for a slow loss until I get about 2 pounds over the bottom.
  • VictoriaTuel
    VictoriaTuel Posts: 1,604 Member
    I've gained 10-15 lbs/4.5-7 kg in one day, morning to night, from eating out for coworkers leaving, eating 3+ donuts, flying, and going out drinking. I usually fluctuate 3-5 lbs/1-3 kg over the course of a day, but when I skyrocket up, it always takes 3-4 days for my body to re-equilibrate.

Usually even completely overeating, I only go up 5-7lbs/2-3 kg, so the 10-15 lbs/4.5-7 kg increase honestly impressed me because that's over 10% of my bodyweight! :lol:
  • Wantingtolose1
    Wantingtolose1 Posts: 139 Member
    I gained 6 kilos in a week long vacation. That was after a very stressful few months at work to though where most of the time i was just eating dinner so then went on vacation and ate 3 meals a day. lost 3 kilks within the first week.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Back in college lost about 10 pounds between 1 PM Friday and 11 AM Saturday. Drank a bunch of beer/hard liquor and somewhat dehydrated.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Football Practice in August.

11 pounds in 3 hours.

From loss of water weight?!
  • mazcor536
    mazcor536 Posts: 115 Member
    145 to 154 in a week, then down to 141 the following week (all Monday weights). That was a combination of TOM and effervescent paracetamol (acetaminophen) which has a stonking 845mg of sodium per 2 tablet dose.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    OP here again; now 6.5 of the 10 pounds have dropped back off. That's pretty close to the real bottom as I noted in the first post that the low weight was right after a long intense paddle on a day when I hadn't eaten much yet.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Biggest 24-hour(ish) drop that I recall was 6.2 pounds: 137.6 Saturday AM to 131.4 when I got up on Sunday (might not have been AM ;) ).

On Thursday AM, I'd been 133.4, which was kinda normal at that point. Ate a few hundred over maintenance on Thursday, more normal on Friday but a sodium bomb right before bed, so weight well up on Saturday. Skipped a strength day on Saturday so possible water weight drop; drank lots of water to counter previous sodium; ate less fiber-rich foods than usual so possibly less digestive contents; then slept extra late on Sunday so more dehydrated. No or negligible fat gain/loss involved. (I usually under-eat maintenance calories, and go well over it once a week or so, so probably netted out close to neutral for the week.)

I know I've gained 5 or more pounds from one AM weigh-in to the next, too, but don't recall details. With my eating style, the quick-gain fluctuation isn't notable enough to remember - it happens a lot (usually the gain is overnight, the matching drop takes 2-3 days, so the quick drop was a new thing).
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,779 Member
    Carved Tones. just wondering how you were doing post shoulder surgery I think you had a little bit ago? Haven't seen you posting much but hope all is well and you are back to paddling again. After all. it is SUMMER!!!
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    6 pounds on a 5'0" frame after a long flight, and 3 -4 days to get that water weight off. Same thing with a 12 hour car ride. Can also do up to 4 lbs. with a salty restaurant meal, which most of them are, IMHO. Not comfortable, not at least not from eating poorly.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,125 Member
    Seven pounds up over several days, then six pounds off in one day a couple weeks ago.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    I guess childbirth doesn't count? Other than that, my biggest change was losing 10 pounds in four days on a modified fast, and then gaining 10 pounds back in the three days after the end of it.