Clean Eating: no processed/refined foods, no high sugar/fat foods, or no foods with dirt on them?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    NadNight wrote: »
    Personally I think of it as things that have gone through minimal processing, whole foods, making things yourself rather than buying them in a box. If it comes with a load of ingredients you can't pronounce on the label then it's probably not great.

Some people wouldn't include cake and cookies if they were trying to eat clean but my interpretation would be to have cake/cookies but make it myself from scratch rather than buying something from the shop that has added preservatives or e-numbers or something.

If it's been synthesized in a laboratory, it's not 'clean'. If it's grown, natural or an extract of them (like milk, sugar or flour which are from natural sources) then it's fine.

I've always found the bolded silly. If my vocabulary is more extensive, or if I were a science-type, then the cookies are safe for me, because I can pronounce the words.

my MIL cant pronounce creme brulee properly (its cream brulee apparently...!!!!) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Thus the question, how do you interact with the clean eating crowd? I tend towards finding the fastest possible exit from the conversation (feigning death seems an acceptable option). Alternatively, reaching for the nearest junk food can also be amusing.

"I'm happy with the results of how I eat. You do you." I am now lean and fit; most of the people who talk to me about clean eating are neither or not both.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    Personally I think of it as things that have gone through minimal processing, whole foods, making things yourself rather than buying them in a box. If it comes with a load of ingredients you can't pronounce on the label then it's probably not great.

Some people wouldn't include cake and cookies if they were trying to eat clean but my interpretation would be to have cake/cookies but make it myself from scratch rather than buying something from the shop that has added preservatives or e-numbers or something.

If it's been synthesized in a laboratory, it's not 'clean'. If it's grown, natural or an extract of them (like milk, sugar or flour which are from natural sources) then it's fine.

I've always found the bolded silly. If my vocabulary is more extensive, or if I were a science-type, then the cookies are safe for me, because I can pronounce the words.

I have ALWAYS hated the can't pronounce the ingredients thing. It doesn't mean the ingredient is bad for you. It means you need Hooked on Phoenics.

I've always thought it boiled down to a fear of the unknown. If an ingredient name is big and long and complicated, it must be scary, right?

Aaaaaand they don't have google? :)

But, yeah, definitely that too. Of course, I'll eat any that's not spicy or disgusting sounding (like snails).
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I tend to have this idea... if most people stick to a 80% minimal to moderate processed diet.... we might be a little better off. Jmho... I shower before dinner, clean eating? Lol
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

It turns a diet into a literacy test.

And besides:

mq1nchbpjiwk.jpg

Nailed it!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    rsclause wrote: »
    Not eating anything with dirt on it is a new one for me. Clean eating brings out all kinds of responces but if you generally avoid anything in a box or bag that sounds clean to me.

how do you get anything out of the supermarket without a box or a bag?

Only produce and meat. Okay I guess the eggs and cheese technically come in a package.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    skram01 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Clean eating is a vague, subjective term that means something different to everyone who proclaims to follow it, with the one constant theme being the virtue signaling that is implied by suggesting that one is eating “clean”, meaning anyone not eating the same as me or proclaiming their choices as clean is a “dirty” eater.

@diannethegeek has a great thread with all the different definitions of clean eating she’s compiled over the years on these boards - maybe she or someone else can link it as I’m on my phone just now.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10337480/what-is-clean-eating/p1

I love the one that says "don't eat product that have a TV commercial." It makes me giggle. I have seen commercials for milk and cheese. There is also at least one commercial for fruits and vegetables. Watch out! Fruits and vegetables are evil now!

I like "shop on the outside of the store". You know, where the bacon, bologna, fried chicken, donuts, pies and birthday cakes are...

I hear tales of some stores in the US having booze on the perimeter too.