September 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited September 2018
    Recommend your running watch...

I'm selling my Fitbit Alta HR because I just don't use it anymore. Since using Strava there is not really any point in using it for tracking (Strava is more accurate anyway). I easily get my 10k steps and have an app on my phone for the reminder to move (good when you spend a good chunk of your day sitting), and I honestly think I sleep better not knowing how much deep sleep I've had.

BUT it would be nice to have a GPS capable watch for long runs. Something I would probably only wear for running, so I don't have to have my phone on me. I have a Ipod shuffle for music (I think it still works, have to fire it up to test it out - I usually use my phone) so a watch would be great. Less to worry about on race day.

Recommendations please! and would you buy second hand? I'm not likely to be able to afford brand new anytime soon - given in NZ electronics tend to be 30% more expensive than the US.

Anyone know anythign about Timex Ironman GPS Watch? I can get a second hand one that's an unwanted gift for !150 ($98USD)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Avidkeo wrote: »

I'm selling my Fitbit Alta HR because I just don't use it anymore. Since using Strava there is not really any point in using it for tracking (Strava is more accurate anyway). I easily get my 10k steps and have an app on my phone for the reminder to move (good when you spend a good chunk of your day sitting), and I honestly think I sleep better not knowing how much deep sleep I've had.

BUT it would be nice to have a GPS capable watch for long runs. Something I would probably only wear for running, so I don't have to have my phone on me. I have a Ipod shuffle for music (I think it still works, have to fire it up to test it out - I usually use my phone) so a watch would be great. Less to worry about on race day.

Recommendations please! and would you buy second hand? I'm not likely to be able to afford brand new anytime soon - given in NZ electronics tend to be 30% more expensive than the US.

I am a well-documented fan of the Garmin line. You can sometimes find old models on clearance, and refurbs can be found too. What is your budget?

• Avidkeo

I am a well-documented fan of the Garmin line. You can sometimes find old models on clearance, and refurbs can be found too. What is your budget?

Well I'm just researching. Ideally i'd like to only spend no more than 200NZD (130USD) - preferably around the $150 mark - hence looking at second hand. Know anything about Timex Ironman GPS Watch? I can get a second hand one that's an unwanted gift for !150 ($98USD)
  • PastorVincent

Well I'm just researching. Ideally i'd like to only spend no more than 200NZD (130USD) - preferably around the $150 mark - hence looking at second hand. Know anything about Timex Ironman GPS Watch? I can get a second hand one that's an unwanted gift for !150 ($98USD)

I do not, but

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews

Has reviews of just about everything and is highly respected.

He has lots of Timex models: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/timex
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member

- I prefer a GPS HR watch to record run and then an auto upload to Garmin/Strava vs using the Strava app on the phone, but I still carry a phone on the run for music/podcasts, etc.

- Re Second Hand purchase. I have had success buying used tech both online and locally. A year ago, I purchased locally a 1 year old Garmin Fenix 3 HR at a great price since the user wanted the newly released Fenix 5. In the States, Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, OfferUp, etc are all effectively online/local exchanges and EBay does a decent job in giving buyers confidence with different options to help with a purchase and your satisfaction, etc...however, bottom line, when buying something used, research and buyer beware is always a good idea.

- Don't know much about Ironman watch, but if there are used watches out there, a quick google search, Amazon reviews, etc can let you know how others like/dislike and/or if there are support issues to be on the look for (i.e. can it upload to Strava, is their app good/bad, battery life, etc). If the watch has issues, buying used will just magnify the experience as negative that might be more related to the product vs purchasing it used.
  • kcs76
    kcs76 Posts: 244 Member
    September Goal: 25 miles

9/1 3m
    9/2 rest/hot
    9/3 rest/hotter
    9/4 rest/this is getting old

3/25

For crying out loud, it's so hot. 91F today. Supposed to be just as hot tomorrow. :/

Upcoming Races:
    10/28 Fitzy's 5k
    12/6 West Reading Run Santa Run
  • Avidkeo
    @PastorVincent and @kevaasen thanks guys. I'm doing a bit of looking around at the moment. looking at our local version of Ebay, there are a couple of Garmin Forerunner 220s, but ill do an actual look and research.
  • PastorVincent
    @PastorVincent and @kevaasen thanks guys. I'm doing a bit of looking around at the moment. looking at our local version of Ebay, there are a couple of Garmin Forerunner 220s, but ill do an actual look and research.

Garmin Forerunner 220 is probably a good option. Depending on the condition and price I think you could be very happy with it. It will have all the basics.

The DC Rainmaker Review: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/11/garmin-forerunner-depth-review.html

Rated for 10 hours of GPS tracking should cover your long runs with plenty of breathing room :)
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member

I have the garmin vivoactive 3 and really like it.
    garygse wrote: »
    Oh what a fun run this morning...super humid (72F dew point), so my top was already completely wet within the first few miles. It was around mile six though that I felt my nipples starting to hurt, and suddenly realized I hadn't put any NipEaze on...oops. :open_mouth: Off comes the top to prevent any further chafing, and I then made my way back to the office gym to grab some Band Aids from the first aid cabinet.

No first aid cabinet...what the heck, they have them throughout the offices, but not in the gym where you would think people are more likely to actually need one? I did see a roll of masking tape on a shelf though. Top tip: masking tape has at least one more usage scenario than I would have previously considered. :smile:

After that, I went back out and met up with the group around mile nine, and ran the usual five-miler with them before heading back to the gym to shower and scream.

Tomorrow, I highly doubt I'll forget the NipEaze.

02 - 5.40
    03 - 18.09
    04 - 14.15

Total: 37.64 / 300 miles

HAH!