Macros for Recomp

I want to lose about 17 pounds but start recomping to build muscle and lose fat. My current macros are 45% carbs 25% protein 30% fat. I know increased protein is important for building muscle. What should the percentages be? Thanks

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Recomposition is typically eating at or around maintenance to maintain weight but lose fat and gain muscle slowly over time. If you have weight to lose, the aim will be to preserve as much muscle as possible by progressive resistance, keeping a not too aggressive deficit and adequate protein.

Macro breakdown most recommended for this are usually measured in grams and will be minimum:
    0.8-1g protein per lb goal weight or lb lean body mass (if you know it)
    0.35-0.4g fat per lb current bodyweight
    Rest carbs
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    my carb is a bit higher - i'm at like 55% carbs, 23%protein and 2% fat and i'm slowly recomping - I know I have some fat to lose, but i'm working on being weight stable for now and then will do a fat loss cycle after my marathon (the nutrition folks I work with do short concentrated FL cycle and majority of time is spent in recomp)
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    my carb is a bit higher - i'm at like 55% carbs, 23%protein and 2% fat and i'm slowly recomping - I know I have some fat to lose, but i'm working on being weight stable for now and then will do a fat loss cycle after my marathon (the nutrition folks I work with do short concentrated FL cycle and majority of time is spent in recomp)

How can you get adequate minimum amounts of fat if you are only at 2%?
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

Macros should equal 100%. 55+23 = 78. It's quite obvious that they meant 22%.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Maxematics wrote: »
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

Macros should equal 100%. 55+23 = 78. It's quite obvious that they meant 22%.

I think I need more caffeine today. I didn't even pick that one up!! 22% makes much more sense.......