Pumpkin spice season is here!

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    FireOpalCO wrote: »
    Let me bring some curmudgeon to the party.
    It is NOT pumpkin spice because it doesn't contain any pumpkins. It's actually cinnamon/nutmeg/ginger/cloves spice blend. Which makes you wonder how this became a "seasonal" thing considering those spices are available year round and in your kitchen NOW. The only thing special is in the fall pumpkins are available and we mix those with pumpkin to make pie and bread. So the special ingredient is left out entirely while every *kitten* thing is colored light orange and labeled "pumpkin spice" including pet shampoo!

-Team Salted Caramel Mocha

The blend of those spices is traditionally called pumpkin pie spice, which is where the name comes from, I believe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpkin_pie_spice
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    It is NOT pumpkin spice because it doesn't contain any pumpkins. It's actually cinnamon/nutmeg/ginger/cloves spice blend. Which makes you wonder how this became a "seasonal" thing considering those spices are available year round and in your kitchen NOW. The only thing special is in the fall pumpkins are available and we mix those with pumpkin to make pie and bread. So the special ingredient is left out entirely while every *kitten* thing is colored light orange and labeled "pumpkin spice" including pet shampoo!

The blend of those spices is traditionally called pumpkin pie spice, which is where the name comes from, I believe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpkin_pie_spice

Also, they add pumpkin or pumpkin flavoring a lot of times to these seasonal pumpkin spice things.
  • no1racefan1
    no1racefan1 Posts: 277 Member
    Last year I hated the pumpkin spice Quaker oatmeal but loved the pumpkin spice Life cereal. Some of it just tastes way too fake/sweet. I'm a big fan of anything baked w/ pumpkin puree--muffins, bread, pie, cookies...yum!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Ready for pumpkin pie! B)
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,729 Member
    edited September 2018
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I had some pumpkin raviolis that were good once my palate got over the shock of ravioli being sweet rather than savory.

@kshama2001 what sauce was on them? I've had butternut squash ravioli with browned butter and crispy sage.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    I love eating chili pretty much all year long, but it's not as weird this time of year. Chili goes great with football season. Pumpkin purée is great in chili.
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    I look forward to freshly roasted pumpkin to use in different recipes. I rarely use pumpkin spice though. Pumpkin pie is incredible.

It's okay in moderation but a lot of the packaged products are dusty with it there's so much of the powder in and on it 🤮. It's quite similar to how salted caramel has been ruined as a flavor. Done correctly it's amazing. Whatever so many manufacturers are doing is gross and doesn't taste good.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Dude, it's like 95 degrees here with a 1000% humidity. The last thing that sounds appealing is pumpkin spice.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    I look forward to freshly roasted pumpkin to use in different recipes. I rarely use pumpkin spice though. Pumpkin pie is incredible.

It's okay in moderation but a lot of the packaged products are dusty with it there's so much of the powder in and on it 🤮. It's quite similar to how salted caramel has been ruined as a flavor. Done correctly it's amazing. Whatever so many manufacturers are doing is gross and doesn't taste good.

Yet somehow, people somehow still call stuff like this "hyperpalatable" and evidence of the deep conspiracy food companies are carrying out to force us to eat "delicious" but unhealthful foods.

Others are free to differ, but I'm with you: Much of this stuff isn't even tasty.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    I enjoy a Pumpkin Spice Latte. So I will have one and say I did it. I'm very fond of those spices, although I am not so much on pumpkin. If you have never tried it, Pumpkin ice cream is the bomb.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    I'm actually not big on pumpkin spice everything, although I do think they smell nice and make great candle scents. Pumpkin muffins with mini chocolate chips are delicious. I also have a killer recipe for gingerbread cake that is my favorite autumn dessert :yum:
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member

Pumpkin spice really became a thing in America to celebrate Thanksgiving. The Colonies had a relatively constant supply of spices through England, which they used to season food. Pumpkins were a very important food crop. Thanksgiving over the years attempted to recreate a lot of traditional foods, and pumpkin pie became a centerpiece for a proper dinner.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member
    lkpducky wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I had some pumpkin raviolis that were good once my palate got over the shock of ravioli being sweet rather than savory.

@kshama2001 what sauce was on them? I've had butternut squash ravioli with browned butter and crispy sage.

@lkpducky I bought the raviolis at a market so made my own sauce, probably just butter and lemon, but the butter sage sauce sounds great!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member

@FireOpalCO you're absolutely right in that pumpkin spice everything is a stupid marketing gimmick. However, I've been using PP spice for decades and once I get over being sad about the end of summer, look forward to the fall and winter baking season.

But PP spice is what's used to make pumpkin pie. I buy it from Frontier by the pound:

https://smile.amazon.com/Frontier-Pumpkin-Pie-Spice-Ounce/dp/B001VNGO2S/ref=sr_1_1_a_it

About the product
    • 1 Pound Bulk Bag
    • An aromatic blend of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves for pies, custards and eggnog
    • All-Natural, Kosher
    • Non-Irradiated
    • Frontier is a member owned co-op, responsible to people and planet
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Everything pumpkin 🎃! Pumpkin lovers unite! ☺️