Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

'Extreme Diet Hotel'

Did anyone catch this programme last night?

Extreme diet it is! 450 cals a day :/ - ok so its only for 1 week but my goodness, I have no clue how those people did all the exercise on practically no fuel!

Then there were massive losses - one guy lost 22lbs - IN A WEEK!! I really didn't think that much was possible! I know that its mostly water, but will they?!! if they resume normal eating, the weight loss wont last.

Thankfully it did show some of the participants 3 weeks later and they had gone on to lose a bit more weight - not sure what they were doing to do that though! that wasn't covered.

Anyway, just wanted to see what others thought of this programme.

Ruth :smile:

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Yeah its not unlike the Biggest Loser, this one just happened to be on last night and I watched out of interest.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    I'd crack second day. Excersize and 450 calories isnt possible for me!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Gamliela wrote: »
    I'd crack second day. Excersize and 450 calories isnt possible for me!

Me too!! I need fuel to workout - I have no clue how one of the women ran a 5k on so few cals...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited September 2018
    I refused to watch it as it's unhealthy to be doing such a diet unless it's suggested and closely monitored by your doctor.

All these tv programmes do is give desperate people ideas on dieting in an unhealthy manner, he k we see people roll up on MFP on a daily basis asking about the latest craze

You're right! I was watching it with my DIL who really needs/wants to lose around 2 stone/ 28lbs - she is the kind of person who would latch on to such an extreme diet yet it only starts that vicious cycle of yo yo dieting.
  • mrsallenmoore
    mrsallenmoore Posts: 42 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    It sounds like another spin on The Biggest Loser. Take some obese people and put them on an extreme diet and exercise regime to win some cash prize for the entertainment of the viewers.

The Biggest Loser creates unrealistic expectations about weight loss and the methods shown as unsafe when done unsupervised. If the show you watched does the same thing then it's just as counter-productive.

I won't watch it if they bring it to our side of the pond.

This is it awful for the contestants and teaches people misery is how you lose weight
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Ohh why do they make such kitten shows? Ohh why???
    <
    pounding head on wall.....
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    I missed this last night. I would have liked to have seen it just so I could shout at the TV and tell them in no uncertain terms what a terrible idea it is. Ummm….yeah...... I may need to re-assess the reasons why I watch TV.

Lol I shouted at the telly quite a bit actually :smiley:
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    450 Cal/day....yeah, NOPE!!! If they took away all the food, I'd probably get arrested for cannibalism as I'd end up gnawing on a person because I'm so hungry.

Although I would try to make the "win-win" argument as I'm hungry and they want to get rid of fat, and that's what I'm eating...

Sounds like entertainment crockery with unrealistic (and possibly dangerous) expectations.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    edited September 2018
    As another contribution to the "like a grisly car wreck you can't seem to look away from" sub-genre of reality television, and given its "thank *kitten*s I'm not like that" appeal, I think it's got a pretty good chance of making money for the producers.

As something in relation to the real problems of weight loss and obesity, I think it's a sideshow farce.

The worst thing about it is that I can't joke about it being the perfect television series for all the people disappointed at having missed "Dr. Menegle's Fun With Physiology Hour" back in the 1940's, without invoking the Corollary to Godwin's Law and automatically losing the debate. ;)
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I thought it was a good programme. I think is about time people get told how things really are, not beating around the bush. The nicely nicely approach doesn’t work with a lot of people. The characters in the show really needed to man up! Crying because they don’t like vegetables, what planet was that girl on? She just told them to get on on with it and it worked. Sometimes you have to be honest with people. And if you are obese you have plenty of reserves. They had plenty of vegetables and fruits to keep them going and for vitamins and minerals. The lady that runs this boot camp said it herself it is only for a week and to kick start people on a healthy diet and get used to exercise again. I think they give them a diet plan for when they leave.
    I thought it was a good programme. You can watch it on catch up I think if you have missed it.

:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Sounds stupid. I don't understand what the point of that is. To make people think weight loss is so horrible that they never want to try it again?
  • zerassa
    zerassa Posts: 4 Member
    That sounds so incredibly unhealthy. It's going to lead to people following stupid fad diets, eating something like 600 calories for two days, and then breaking and gaining more weight. Or they're going to see it and think that loosing weight is so difficult that it's not worth the effort. I hate shows like this.