Personal Trainers with Facial Piercings??

I am training to become a PT next year and I have a double lip piercing on one side.

Now to me piercings and tattoos do not in any way impact how I view or judge somebody. However I am aware that some people would be put off by them (for example my mum says and I quote, "that's disgusting") now she says that in a way I know she doesn't judge me BUT I want to know what the majority of people think?...

My question is, would you be be put off/not approach someone for personal training if they had facial piercings?

Replies

• Frankly it depends on who you want to coach.

As a 31yo queer woman, I think lip piercings are hottt; however, I personally don't need a PT.

It's possible the market where you're physically located IS women like your mother. I don't think there's any shame in taking it out to meet a client so you have a cleaner appearance and then you can gauge their personality first.

I personally wouldn't want to coach people who would judge on piercings or tattoos, but sometimes a job's a job.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    My question is, would you be be put off/not approach someone for personal training if they had facial piercings?

I don't think it would make a difference to me.
    If you are concerned that it might put off some people can you not wear your jewelry during your working hours?

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    While it wouldn't put me off, I might be a little nervous for safety reasons. Is there any concern that the piercings could get caught on equipment or clothing during the training sessions? I guess I just remember always being told to take out my earrings when working out or playing sports.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    edited September 2018
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    As a PT in the business for quite some time, I don't have any piercings or tattoos, so I can only give you what I've observed over the time with different gyms. I train a lot of genres of people: young, old, overweight, fit, etc. So what really depends more is how you're training them and the results you're getting. BUT, realize that people make judgements on first impressions. I would say people under 50 may not care about your piercings, but anyone over probably may see it differently. Which makes it funny because I have the MOST clients over 50 amongst my peers. That's anecdotal though. I've also been turned away because someone felt I was too bulky and they assumed I would train them that way. So it may be that you have to experiment some. If you're getting a lot of good interaction, then it may be fine. If people are avoiding you, then you may want to take it out while you're on duty. Good luck!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I used to think that about the older generations but most of the compliments I get on my ink are from the older generations.

OP - To be fair tattoos and piercings are a whole lot less taboo than they used to be and as someone else already mentioned it will serve as an as* hole detector. I don't think it's going to make any major impact to your ability to drum up trade.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I'm likely in your mom's demographic (middle aged woman) and it wouldn't bug me. My mom would probably notice and describe it in a whisper to me ("*He's such a nice young man. Do you know he has a *lip piercing! Two of them!*") but it wouldn't put her off having you as a trainer.

I'm sure it will vary widely though, same as with anything. I'm continually surprised at the things that people notice about others at work that I don't notice until people point them out to me and even then 90% of the time my response is "so what?"
  • The THENX guy is a lot more extreme than lip piercings and he's the go to guy for calisthenics. Shown below without his ear gauges:

e76c60e005372fd79f043d8caebfa973--thenx-workout-workout-videos.jpg
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Another middle-aged woman here, I 100% would not care about how many piercings a potential PT had.

For context, I've got several tattoos and a pierced nostril.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    If I'm hiring a personal trainer it's for Thier knowledge and skills not for what they look like
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    I'm 63 and it wouldn't bother me. Piercings and tattoos are just the norm. If you look and smell clean and you are a good trainer, that would be what I care about. If you had a tongue stud, I would probably ask you about it - like did it hurt, and what does it feel like having that in your mouth all the time, but I wouldn't be judging; I really wonder about those things. Besides, I have pierced ears, so why should I judge someone else.