Less Alcohol - September 2018 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,548 Member
    How I keep track of my accountability:

1st by day.
    If I can get through a happy hour offered or a friend trying to give/buy me a drink because they think I need one, then I am half way there. When I do plan or feel I need to drink. I try as hard as I can to keep it to no more than two for any single day.

2nd by week.
    I tally up Sun-Sat. Some weeks have no tally, other weeks do. For the week I want to keep it under 6. Because I know as the weeks progress, I do not want to have a high number mid month. Especially if I have a special event planned to consume at the end of the month. It is a lot of strategy and mind work which is good for me.

3rd by month.
    An over all good month tally at this stage for me is 8 -14 total standard size drinks (not drinking days). A number I can recall from several years ago was 11 drinks in one day...horrifying now that I look back on it.

My grand tally will be on Dec 31 2018. Looking forward to seeing that.

Hoping everyone is having a wonderful day.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    @FeelinFooFoo, awesome post!! I’ve been working at this since Jan 1 and am just now looking at Day 40 tomorrow. I think the most important insight is the one you already have: This is a journey. In fact, I’d add that it’s not just any old journey but an adventure. With this mindset, any bumps in the road are just that—bumps. Keep that lovely hangover-free feeling in your consciousness. Yay you!!!!
  • MissMay
    smoothies

Congrats on you successful AF day. What a nice treat a spa treatment! Good rewards for good deeds done. Now how about a mango smoothie? Lol

Donimfp great to see you in here again and congrats on day 40

Welcome FranksSandwich, cut down by half that is SUPER. Hope to hear from you again.

KKHKISHZKH: how did your Friday night turn out?

sonomagirl2: nice job on sticking to your goal of only 5 ounces of wine. Woot woot!

Today makes a dry streak of 6 days in a row for me, after indulging in 2 Mich Ultras last Sunday during a theater play.
    No harm done.

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    Well I planned an AF weekend and iv done it. It wasn't straight forward, I noticed that Friday is my worst day for urges, after work I have this urge to buy wine! And I realise how much I do need support at this stage to get me through. I'm not strong enough yet. I wanted to go to the pub on Friday, it was my other half who said no. Ah well.

Today I went to the spa and I'm getting ready to make some orange & pomegranate smoothies. They are gona be so refreshing. Was lovely waking up this morning hangover free as well. Tomorrow will be Sunday and not a day I'd drink anyway so not too worried about that but plan a nice walk round a local park, it has a small animal reserve so that will be a nice treat for going AF this weekend.

What I learnt this weekend, it's totally possible to have an enjoyable time without any alcohol. It is amazing waking up hangover free. I still have a lot of work to do and stuff to figure out but going in right direction. :heart:

Good to read your thoughts! Sounds like you are doing well and feeling good! 🙂
  • karenesg
    karenesg Posts: 318 Member
    Day 5. Doing ok with it. Am in a funk due to some other issues that normally I'd deal with with drinks. Not going there. Decided to lay down for a siesta instead, be good to myself, take advantage of a clear schedule and relax. Hope everyone’s having a good weekend
  • USCBMOM22
    USCBMOM22 Posts: 31 Member
    viceam wrote: »
    Awesome. Just survived a craving. Prepared a drink of 1freshly squeezed pink grapefruit and a generous squirt of lime, added some ice. Ok followed by a bite of chocolate. In 3 minutes I forgot about the wine and feel fine :)

This sounds yummy. I'm going to pick up some grapefruit today and give it a try.
  • USCBMOM22
    I have a question. How are you counting your AF days? I see many posts about consecutive days. Does anyone add up the AF days even if there is a moderation day or two in between? I have had way more AF days over the past month than I have had in quite some time. And the days I have allowed myself to drink have been in moderation. A huge improvement for me. I think if I challenge myself to pick up more AF days each month than the month before (even if not consecutive), it would be motivational for me.
  • USCBMOM22
    That does answer my question. Thank you. I'm actually considering keeping a journal to track my progress.
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,517 Member
    MissMay, you are on a roll! Hope you feel better soon too!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited September 2018
    I read today that the UK have a new campaign called "Drink Free Days".

https://www.drinkfreedays.co.uk/

The site has a calculator that converts your glasses of alcohol to standard units.

Woah, I was drinking a lot!

I recommend doing the check.

PLUS, the site has an app!

That's probably a way to monitor your AF days, @USCBMOM22

Also, from the article I read:

"Dr Julia Verne, a spokeswoman on liver disease for Public Health England said: "Having a day off drinking gives you a chance to clean your system and give your liver a rest. It also has an immediate impact on your sleep and calorie consumption."

"People have also told us that the idea of a 'drink-free' day is much easier to manage than cutting down, say, from one large glass of wine to a small glass of wine."

That's pretty much what we're learning in here!

I see it as "Intermittent Sobriety".

Quitting for a day is easier than having less for a day (due to "I'll just have one more").
  • MissMay
    Orphia wrote: »

The site has a calculator that converts your glasses of alcohol to standard units.

Orphia, I have belonged to this site since this past Spring. EXCELLENT tools and references for cutting back or quiting. I love the daily calender to keep track of either no drinking day or how many and what type you did have.
    The only thing is I am SHOCKED that the UK has higher drinking standards ratios. Women are allotted 14 drinks per week there compared to the 7 for the USA standard.( I will stick to the USA standard thank you! )

@viceam yes I am finally feeling better as of yesterday. That darn goldenrod going in my field was getting the best of me.

• USCBMOM22
    Orphia wrote: »

That's probably a way to monitor your AF days, @USCBMOM22

Also, from the article I read:

"Dr Julia Verne, a spokeswoman on liver disease for Public Health England said: "Having a day off drinking gives you a chance to clean your system and give your liver a rest. It also has an immediate impact on your sleep and calorie consumption."

"People have also told us that the idea of a 'drink-free' day is much easier to manage than cutting down, say, from one large glass of wine to a small glass of wine."

That's pretty much what we're learning in here!

I see it as "Intermittent Sobriety".

Quitting for a day is easier than having less for a day (due to "I'll just have one more").

Thank you, Orphia! I will check this website out today. It looks like a great tool to keep track.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    OMG I found you guys! I have not been on this thread since May.

June, July and August are my travel, party, drinking, do it all before Winter months. I've picked up some weight. I don't regret it. I am back on track, I haven't had a desire to drink. But it feels good being back. I will have to catch up and do some reading.