The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    @donimfp Same here on the veggies!

It's like when I was drinking, I did all the avoiding stuff. (See the OP about avoidance.)

Your brain gets used to feeling guilty all the time, and thinks, what's another bit of guilt, and avoids veg.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Good morning all. @donimfp thanks for that insight and congrats on 40 days!!! I too find I have much more energy sober. However, I did eat way too much bad stuff yesterday so I thought I'd try the 5/2 intermittent fast, today being a fast day to get back on track. I am also making much better choices as far as fruits and veggies. When I was drinking I wanted pizza and greasy cheeseburgers! Our farmers market here is open on Sundays and I love it but it's pouring rain so we will pass on that this week.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    @RubyRed427 @karenesg @donimfp Ditto, Ditto, Ditto!! And YES, I wish everyone could feel the same also. @elsie6hickman <3 You stay strong too!! Hugs to everyone :)
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    Alcohol has loomed large in my life. My mother and my husband were/are alcoholics. My mother never quit, and it made for a difficult childhood and a very strained relationship after I moved out. My husband started drinking heavily around his 50th birthday, and ended up in rehab. He's been sober now about 10 years. In support, I have stopped drinking too. It wasn't a struggle for me, because I guess the alcoholic gene bypassed me. It's a small price to pay for my husband's sobriety. I miss being able to have a glass of wine with him in the evening, but it's not the end of the world. My daughter in law is an alcoholic too. My stepson seems to be in the stage of "wishing it weren't so".

For all of you, even if you only have 1 day sober on the books, you should be proud of yourself and I salute you for taking a step in the right direction. Stay strong!

Thanks for sharing your story. Yes, you’re right we all should be proud, one step at a time.... Alcohol is a devious thing- sorry to hear that your stepson and his wife are having problems. Perhaps, ALNON (not sure the spelling) could help him deal with it. My friend said it helped her immensely before her husband finally quit alcohol.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited September 2018
    @RubyRed427 @elsie6hickman Al anon
    it helps some people, other's inherently know how to do it, and yet others are "fine" and don't need help

@Ke22yB when a friend od'd, his family had the wake at a bar :expressionless:

• whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Great posts everybody :) trip to Cali went fine but today I feel sort of anxious/depressed,maybe it's just being back to reality and work,meh
  • RubyRed427
    edited September 2018
    @joha5603 Good story about your weekend. That sounds pretty much like me most weekends lately. I turn down invitations that involve a lot of drinking; I just don’t feel like going out when the goal is to party with alcohol. You ended up having a perfect “me” evening- you did things you wanted to do, felt accomplished, worked out, got good sleep and felt peaceful with your choice. I’m really happy for you! And then the next day, you didn’t have any hangover or regrets. Awesome!

For my 50th AF day, I bought candles, cute clothes and perfume I’ve wanted to buy but always thought it was too expensive. I view the perfume as my AF present. Every time I wear it, I’ll remember all the hard work it took to get to 50. Xo
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    @RubyRed427 I know you've got this! You will feel so much better than everyone else! I can't imagine having a hangover on a rocking boat. Ugh!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    @RubyRed427, perhaps it is because I hang with a crowd older than yours but I quit drinking nearly 5 years ago and very few said a word. The less you make of it, the less anyone will care.

I suppose my standard answer as to why I no longer drink is "Because I don't want to". Then I change the subject. :) Actually, my approach was/is similar with questions about food choices. There's no need to elaborate and cause others to feel defensive, uncomfortable (or whatever) about their scotch and water or piece of cake and ice cream.

Just do you. You really owe no one any explanation regarding your choices. Besides, no one probably want to hear "the whys" at a party anyway. ;)

• RubyRed427
    kpk54 wrote: »
    @RubyRed427,m

I suppose my standard answer as to why I no longer drink is "Because I don't want to". Then I change the subject. :) Actually, my approach was/is similar with questions about food choices. There's no need to elaborate and cause others to feel defensive, uncomfortable (or whatever) about their scotch and water or piece of cake and ice cream.

Just do you. You really owe no one any explanation regarding your choices. Besides, no one probably want to hear "the whys" at a party anyway. ;)

Thanks to everyone for excellent advice and support !