The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    @RubyRed427, my wish for you is that you find some unexpected delights you never would have discovered if you were drinking. Are these the islands in Lake Erie perchance? I ask because Kylie Logan has some cheesy cozy mysteries set there— on South Bass Island. They are pure bubble gum but could be a fun guilty pleasure if that’s where you’ll be.

Anyway, hoping you are surprised by joy.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    donimfp wrote: »
    @RubyRed427, my wish for you is that you find some unexpected delights you never would have discovered if you were drinking. Are these the islands in Lake Erie perchance? I ask because Kylie Logan has some cheesy cozy mysteries set there— on South Bass Island. They are pure bubble gum but could be a fun guilty pleasure if that’s where you’ll be.

Anyway, hoping you are surprised by joy.

Good morning ☀️ yes the islands Put-n-Bay.
  • islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    RubyRed427 wrote: »

Oh, boy! Hang in there, that is a helluva party spot! Stay out of the pool! ;-) I say that because of a video my friends were sharing. I'm in suburban Detroit and know many who go every year. I remember how successful your Nashville trip was and how proud you were of yourself, I know you can do it again. <3

• MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,547 Member
    @RubyRed427 Good morning ☀️ yes the islands Put-n-Bay

Julie I have not been to Put-n-Bay in 31 years, when I used to live in Ohio. That is a fun spot. My regret is not being able to remember a majority of how much fun there was to be had. Wish I could be there to experience an alcohol free weekend with you. I am pretty sure we could tear up the place even AF.
    Will be thinking of you.

• donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member

OK, then. You might enjoy the Ladies' Literary League. That's where they're set.
  • joha5603
    joha5603 Posts: 102 Member
    @JenT304 -- that's a perfect phrase!
  • RubyRed427
    donimfp wrote: »

OK, then. You might enjoy the Ladies' Literary League. That's where they're set.

Thanks, I’ll check it out. I’m sure I’ll even find the books in a gift shop there.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,485 Member
    @joha5603 I think it works because it doesn't involve anyone else's drinking habits. If I say what I am REALLY thinking, "Because it's poison and it is killing me....and you" that would not go over so well LOL.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    I like that response Jen! When we took our road trip to California over the weekend my son in law kept wanting me to drink,saying it was my birthday,I should have fun,etc,,I just told him i went there TO have fun,NOT be all sweaty,tired and grouchville the next day(like he ended up being haha) Ruby,do you think the trip will be easy? I hope so,back in May I went to visit my family and I thought I was strong but ended up drinking,,,a lot,I'm sure you'll be fine though you seem like you're in a good headspace,have a great day all!
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    edited September 2018
    @whitpauly I think I will try to have fun and I do know for sure I won't be drinking . I'm determined to stay the AF. I hope I don't get annoyed with the drinkers however; some of them repeat themselves a lot BUT so did I. 😊 I'll make the best of it and I think I'll gain willpower muscle and more pride in myself. Since I declined staying for two nights, l only be on the boat and island for 24 hours.

This is excellent Ruby,,following my May drinking trip to visit family we also went in July,I purposely made it a one day trip just to be safe cuz I honestly wanted to see my family and remember each detail,the one day sober trip seemed to last longer than the few day drink visit and I remember it all,not bits and pieces so yep a win!
  • RubyRed427
    @Kenni94 Bravo! So happy for you! I poured out some alcohol, too. Down the drain it went. I think the anxiety will lessen with time as your brain readjusts.
  • RubyRed427
    JenT304 wrote: »
    When someone asks me why I don't drink anymore, I say, "I actually just kind of lost my taste for it." Who can argue with that? No one is going to tell you to eat or drink something you don't "like" anymore, right? People usually just nod or say "oh!" and that is the end of it.

Great idea Jen! I like that reason- it’s short and sweet. And non-negotionable.
    Also, remember my sister would say in the beginning “ I have a bleeding ulcer.” People shut up right away. :)
  • I've noticed I've been replacing alcohol with food. When i'm out with everyone and they're all drinking, I find something that'll distract me from wanting a drink, and that will make me as equally happy as having one, so I turn to food. And when you're out at a bar or sports pub, etc. the food choices aren't the healthiest. I need to figure something else out, or maybe I just need to acknowledge that i'm not ready to be around those social scenes until I get more comfortable with the idea of not drinking and don't feel the need to replace its absence with food.