How to start

How I can start exercise and diet plan

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Eat less, move more.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Start with reading. There are stickies posts at the top of each forum. Start with the getting started forum, and look at the posts in the most helpful posts thread. Pick a couple to read to start with. There is a lot of great information there.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

log your food... do some exercise....
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Just start. Today. You don't need any special foods or equipment if you're an average human with no serious health or medical issues I would say start small. It may be more difficult to keep doing it if you go headlong into changing your entire diet and starting some strenuous exercise, especially if you're not used to exercising. Make gradual adjustments to what you eat that you can sustain for a long time, whether that's smaller portion sizes, reducing sweets, increasing beans, pulses, vegetables, etc. Do as much exercise as you can handle, even if that's five minutes a day initially. You can work up to ten minutes, then fifteen, and before you know it you'll be going for an hour a day. Make use of the community here. Log everything you eat in their correct weights using a digital food scale. Don't aim to lose a lot of weight every week. You may be able to sustain a loss of 1-2lbs a week, but I wouldn't recommend getting preoccupied with weighing yourself more than once a week unless you want to use a daily tracking app. Maybe buy a cheap pedometer that will encourage you to walk more.
  • nancyvazquez7796
    nancyvazquez7796 Posts: 48 Member
    Exactly what I did...worked my way up in increments. Started taking small walks and built up to an hour to two. Changed my eating habits by adding the healthier and giving up the junk. Ale one day at a time and slowly you will see. Wishing you the best. The MFP App has been a godsend. Calories and especially numbers was my greatest fear. No more. I have been doing it everyday for past two weeks and I can no longer see myself not taking control for myself. Good luck.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member

Start logging your food, accurately and consistently. Read the Most Helpful Posts thread pinned to the top of each forum. Schedule your workouts like any other important thing you need to do. Start learning from your food log. Maybe get a food scale if you don't have one. Make small, incremental changes. Learn and be patient. Welcome and good luck!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited September 2018
    I chose to focus on fitness first by walking around my neighbourhood. I was really heavy and out of shape, but I did what I could and stayed consistent.

Eventually I was able to go longer and faster and started seeing some results.

That motivated me to work on my eating habits. I started cooking at home more and eating less fast food, started to incorporating more veggies in my meals and tracking and planning my food in my journal.

I also had to learn about myself. The foods that triggered me to eat more. To stop emotionally eating when I was happy or stressed. I had to discover workouts and activities I enjoyed doing. And lastly I had to learn and research the science behind weight and fat loss.

Making these small baby steps made it things to not be so overwhelming. I was making a lot of changes in my life and was used to eating whatever I wanted whenever.

The combination of getting active and being aware of what I was consuming the weight and inches started to fall off.

Doing things that were sustainable has helped me to keep the weight off.

Good luck!
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    You really want to make it into a lifestyle change and not a short term exercise and diet plan. Choose options that you will be able to stick to. Track your calories to begin with and just try to eat in moderation. Start your exercise slowly (so you don't get too sore or injured and can't exercise for long periods of time) and gradually pick up the exercise as your body can handle it.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    MFP tracking a calorie deficit is #1 on the to-do list.
    Above that is learning what behaviors need to improve for long lasting success.

Something that is really helping me prevent diet burnout is www.platejoy.com
    I'm a lazy lousy planner and it makes it easy.

Reading articles and practicing 'mindful eating' also helps me recognize habits to improve.

When you have a day when you binge and eat more than planned, consider it a learning opportunity and plan how you could have done it differently. For example, when we go to a restaurant, I check out the menu online at home and know what I'm going to order before leaving home to reduce temptation and time pressure. Watching food tv triggers a binge for me, so I don't watch it. Other things and coping strategies will work for you. The key is learning yourself and planning how to successfully and happily cope. Sometimes avoidance, sometimes better planning, sometimes sheer will.

I think being honest and open has helped me. I'm not a very social person, but put up a MFP pic, honest profile, open diary, and make friends who are where I want to be, are where I am, and are where I've been. This gives me successful models for the future and helps me be a successful model for people like me that started this new path at a later time.

For me, diet and exercise plan are important pieces, but not the whole puzzle.