New to the Group? Introduce yourself here.

Replies

• krista896
    krista896 Posts: 76 Member
    Hi there, I'm Krista I'm 30 and I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in October 2016. I'm 5' 2" and 129 lbs (142 at time of diagnosis) and I have have really been having a hard time. The only other person I know with T2D is my 85 yo grandmother, so I don't really have anyone to talk to that understands the struggle.

My last A1C was 6.1 but my morning sugar is consistently too high. I get really frustrated that one day I can eat something and have a good number and eat the exact same thing another time and get a bad number. I am terrified of the potential health problems that are associated with T2D and hate felling that people blame me for getting diabetes.

I'm working on improving my diet ( count carbs but not as consistently as I should) and have started exercising again. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks!
  • amyfrogred
    amyfrogred Posts: 187 Member
    krista896 wrote: »
    Hi there, I'm Krista I'm 30 and I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in October 2016. I'm 5' 2" and 129 lbs (142 at time of diagnosis) and I have have really been having a hard time. The only other person I know with T2D is my 85 yo grandmother, so I don't really have anyone to talk to that understands the struggle.

My last A1C was 6.1 but my morning sugar is consistently too high. I get really frustrated that one day I can eat something and have a good number and eat the exact same thing another time and get a bad number. I am terrified of the potential health problems that are associated with T2D and hate felling that people blame me for getting diabetes.

I'm working on improving my diet ( count carbs but not as consistently as I should) and have started exercising again. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks!

Hi, welcome to the group. We are in this boat together, no judgment here.
  • flpamme
    flpamme Posts: 4 Member
    Hi, I'm Pamme. I was pre-diabetic for several years then a sudden health issue shot my blood glucose level & blood pressure thru the roof. My normally behaving thyroid also became temperamental. I was put on insulin, to my shock. Weight started increasing fairly fast. BP is back down to normal, fasting glucose now runs between 120 & 135. A1C is now 5.2 but they won't take away insulin yet because stress or sickness causes my glucose level to spike again. Just started today with a nutritionist in hope of getting my weight back down so I can get this glucose finally under control and get rid of these hated shots! Currently, exercise is limited. This site was suggested as a way to gain suggestions for dealing with carbs and perhaps gain some new buddies to exchange support with. Any takers out there?
  • amyfrogred
    amyfrogred Posts: 187 Member
    flpamme wrote: »
    Hi, I'm Pamme. I was pre-diabetic for several years then a sudden health issue shot my blood glucose level & blood pressure thru the roof. My normally behaving thyroid also became temperamental. I was put on insulin, to my shock. Weight started increasing fairly fast. BP is back down to normal, fasting glucose now runs between 120 & 135. A1C is now 5.2 but they won't take away insulin yet because stress or sickness causes my glucose level to spike again. Just started today with a nutritionist in hope of getting my weight back down so I can get this glucose finally under control and get rid of these hated shots! Currently, exercise is limited. This site was suggested as a way to gain suggestions for dealing with carbs and perhaps gain some new buddies to exchange support with. Any takers out there?

Welcome too the group.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    flpamme wrote: »

Is there a specific reason exercise is limited? Regular exercise is great for insulin resistance. Also, are you on metformin? One of the things it does is reduce the sugar dumping that happens due to stress.

As far as carbs are concerned, I found that eliminating quick digesting carbs from my diet completely was helpful at first. I've been able to add a few back in over time, but I still don't eat sweets, white bread, rice, or similar quick acting carbs. Test often after meals to learn what works for you.
  • clmbk1
    clmbk1 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi, I’m Caroline, not really new, but haven’t been on here in a very long time. I was diagnosed in 2011. Still trying to figure it out. Hoping to find support along my journey. Can’t seem to lose weight, but trying again and will keep on trying...
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Hbac 57.
    Back on the journey post surgery.
  • sarahtrust
    sarahtrust Posts: 85 Member
    I tried no eating after dinner and lighter evening meal. this has helped my morning BG levels a lot, A habit worth developing,,,,,I was also helped by taking charge of my health and not just doing what medics said, each diabetic is unique Welcome!
  • sarahtrust
    sarahtrust Posts: 85 Member
    Hallo have been on since January diabetic for about 27 years struggling to understand how to regain some health after following Diabetic professionals advice for years, all not helping, trying to get ALC from 6.6 - under 5
    Taking too much insulin, very responsive to carb highs with almost no carbs, interested in nutrition, micronutrients, MFP has showed I am deficient in iron. calcium. protein. and potassium so working on better nutrition, stubborn weight loss, healthier bones and greater mobility
  • hockeymama1963
    hockeymama1963 Posts: 45 Member
    Hi,
    My name is Angela and I have recently been diagnosed with type two diabetes in March of 2018. I am on Metformin 1000mg twice a day. I have gone to the classes with my husband in the past year and have been doing the cooking for him but I am so frustrated with not being able to eat carbs. I have no problem laying off the sweets but I am a master bread baker and I hate not being able to eat bread.

I am a teacher of special needs students and in a constant state of stress. I constantly deal with depression and students blowing up due to their issues. Now I have this hanging over my head. HELP

• Hello,
    My name is Samantha. I am 22 (turning 23 in August), I live in the Lower Mainland of BC Canada, and this year has been pretty rough so far.

Roughly 6 weeks ago, I had a miscarriage. Needless to say, the whole ordeal was pretty scary. I saw my doctor and she began a course of medical testing to see if there were any obvious reasons as to why the miscarriage could have occurred. Two weeks later, I saw her for a follow-up and she had the results of my ultrasound back with a confirmed diagnosis.
    She diagnosed me with PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome). I have to admit, I have suspected for a while now that I've had PCOS, but because of my difficulties finding a family doctor and my struggles with walk-in clinic doctors I have never been able to confirm the self-diagnosis.

Some of you may not know this, but one of the big (no pun intended) symptoms and side effects of PCOS is extremely rapid and unexplained weight gain, and as many (if not all) of you know, excess weight can raise your chances of developing adult-onset Diabetes, and for women it can increase your risk of Gestational Diabetes.

Another two weeks go by, and we get the blood tests following my miscarriage back.

They showed an elevated blood-glucose level, and my doctor thinks that I would have been diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes if my pregnancy had continued. So basically what I'm left with is PCOS, a severe iron deficiency, a hostile womb, and Type 2 diabetes.

Like I said; this month has been rough.

Despite the severity of the situation, my awesome doctor is confident that with proper diet, medication, and a gradual introduction of low-impact (which will slowly escalate to include high-impact) exercise, I can lessen my symptoms if not completely reverse my diagnosis. I have been wanting to lose weight in a functional and sustainable way for a long time, and now that I have the support and guidance I need from my doctor I feel confident that I can do it for real this time.
    I am planning my wedding for the end of July in 2020, and I hope to be at least close to my goal weight by then. I joined this group for support, to share my experiences, and to learn from the experiences of the other members. Thank you for having me :smile:
  • lovingrn
    lovingrn Posts: 27 Member
    edited April 2018
    Hello everyone. I was diagnosed with T2D, 6 years ago, and still haven't been able to stabilize my glucose. My last A1C was 7.9. I turned 49 today and have vowed to become healthy and compliant this next year before I turn 50. Any advice and support would be appreciated.
  • maggiehealy969
    maggiehealy969 Posts: 2 Member
    Hello, My name is Maggie and I have been diagnosed with Type 2. I take Metformin twice a day. I am struggling as my BS is all over the place. This week I see an endocrinologist and I am interested in what she has to say. I do need to tighten up the eating and I have the exercise down. I know as I lose weight it will help too. I leave for a cruise this week and I am getting in the mind set to eat in moderation and focus on my family and friends and the beautiful things and activities we are doing more than the food. For now I am breaking up with sweets, its not an easy breakup. I am really watching my carbs and proteins and making this a lifestyle. Thanks for being here and I wish you luck with your journey as well.
  • katkoellis
    katkoellis Posts: 2 Member
    Hi! I've been T2 for probably 5 years now. Due to some personal crises 2 years ago (all over now), I started ignoring my diabetes and went from 1metformin/day to 2. 6 months ago my A1c crept up to 7, but a month ago it skyrocketed to over 10! Now I am on glipizide twice/day as well as the metformin, which has helped tremendously, but I know it's not a long term solution. My numbers have been dropping from mid 200s to mid to high 100s. I'm counting carbs and trying to keep to 10-20 g/meal. I've been looking for online support, as I now think of diabetes like addiction: I need to make the right choices, every day, for the rest of my life. :)
  • renku
    renku Posts: 182 Member
    Just diagnosed a month ago, started on Metformin and removed sugar from my diet. I probably should have addressed it much earlier, but took the stupid approach of if it's not diagnosed, I don't have to deal with it. I had success using MFP to lose weight a few years ago, but I thought it would be a good tool to track sugar and carbs. I am off to see a nurse to discuss diet and lifestyle tomorrow, I am having issues with lowering my blood sugar. I can go for a 2 1/2 hour bike ride or walk in a day and still have a high reading. Looking into what the dawn effect is and how to control it as well.
  • AmyM831
    AmyM831 Posts: 258 Member
    Hi I'm Amy I have been having my kidney function test about every 2 weeks for the past 2 months and it's not getting any higher it still low. My glucose level is 98 so it's on the high side of normal. But my doctor thinks I at least have prediabetes. At any rate I am going to eat healthier and quit drinking Coke which I did quit drinking that about 2 months ago when all this started. I have never been a water drinker. I have an ultrasound on my kidneys done in a few weeks to make sure there isn't any damage. I also have high blood pressure which I'm on medication for that. I would like to lose about 20 lbs to put me at 135. I have lost 10 lbs in the last 2 months so that's a start.
  • teer2008
    teer2008 Posts: 10 Member
    Hi, I'm Tee, I was just diagnosed on the 20th of last month. I went to the ER thinking it was a stroke. Nope, bg of 500 after being sick for four days eating the brat diet (banana, rice, apple, toast). I'm wanting to say I got this, but I'm not going to be able to on my own. I'm here to learn and to control my diabetes and not let diabetes control me.
  • AshlyWester
    AshlyWester Posts: 7 Member
    Hey there! I'm Ashly! I was diagnosed 07/02/2018 after my OB/GYN discovered my BG fasting (more than 12 hours) was nearly 300 at 8 am. Took me 2 months to get my diagnosis since my (now ex) PCP pulled me into his lab office 2x and dropped the ball and only pulled "routine" labs, and not my A1c. I now have an amazing endocrinology office I see, and have recently changed to a new PCP. I am on Metformin 2x a day, along with a plethora of other medications for various other health concerns. My diabetic nurse educator suggested 150g of carbs per day... however. I am a PICKY PICKY eater. Yesterday alone I only managed to obtain 107g all day. I hate vegetables. I have been slowly getting myself to eat them (broccoli and riced cauliflower have been the ones so far I can handle), but I love my cheeses, ice creams, and chips. So many chips. I am doing better each day, but I think I might need some people to keep me on track! :smile:
  • sparky00721
    sparky00721 Posts: 113 Member
    I'm Thomas. Diagnosed Type 2 diabetic at age 53 on the basis of a GF reading of 10.2 in January 2017 and put on medication. In September 2017 I had a GF reading of 9.8 and an A1C reading of 8.9. Dosage of metformin increased at that time.

In May 2018, a GF reading of 6.0 which I was pretty happy with, but an A1C reading of 9.0, which alarmed my doctor given the amount of medication to that point, so I was also put on Jardiance at that time.

Going for blood work this week. I have dropped some weight, have recently been exercising regularly and eating better. I have every finger crossed for some good numbers.

Congratulations to those with success stories in dealing with this condition!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Hey there! I'm Ashly! I was diagnosed 07/02/2018 after my OB/GYN discovered my BG fasting (more than 12 hours) was nearly 300 at 8 am. Took me 2 months to get my diagnosis since my (now ex) PCP pulled me into his lab office 2x and dropped the ball and only pulled "routine" labs, and not my A1c. I now have an amazing endocrinology office I see, and have recently changed to a new PCP. I am on Metformin 2x a day, along with a plethora of other medications for various other health concerns. My diabetic nurse educator suggested 150g of carbs per day... however. I am a PICKY PICKY eater. Yesterday alone I only managed to obtain 107g all day. I hate vegetables. I have been slowly getting myself to eat them (broccoli and riced cauliflower have been the ones so far I can handle), but I love my cheeses, ice creams, and chips. So many chips. I am doing better each day, but I think I might need some people to keep me on track! :smile:
    150g is probably intended as a maximum - you will not be harmed by eating fewer than this, since your body can manufacture glucose. Test regularly and learn which foods spike you after eating - I can't handle either chips or ice cream, personally, but some diabetics can in small amounts.