Will stretch marks fade after weight loss

I have been overweight the majority of my life. I first got a few stretch marks on my hips when I was around 13. During my first year of uni I gained 28 pounds and ended up weighing 203 pounds which is the heaviest I’ve ever been. In the space of a few weeks it seemed as if stretch marks on my lower stomach just magically appeared. I am current losing weight and I’ve managed to lose 30 pounds in 11 weeks, still a long way to go. Will my stretch marks fade after weight loss or ever go completely. Is it different for every person

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    Yes, stretch marks will fade from that angry red to a much less noticeable skin tone.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    They should fade yes. I'm sure everyone is different. But most people who have stretch marks from being bigger and then shrinking (either losing weight or from pregnancy) have very faint stretch marks that are just a little bit lighter than your normal skin tone.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    They will still be there, but the color will lighten. The skin is stretched and thin where the stretch mark is and the skin can't repair itself there because the collagen is broken down, so the texture will remain but they will become less noticeable as they lighten over time.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited September 2018
    If the stretch marks are red, they will fade to skin tone scars. And you still have time to visit a dermatologist and find a cream to help. If they have already lightened in colour, that's it. Regardless of weight loss.
  • goals15000
    goals15000 Posts: 18 Member
    From personal experience they fade but don’t completely go away.
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Yes, stretch marks will fade from that angry red to a much less noticeable skin tone.

^ not all are red it depends on your skintone.
  • buffinlovin
    buffinlovin Posts: 100 Member
    I find that using a moisturizer helps. I don't use anything that's specifically for stretch marks, I use Bath & Body Works Body Cream (24 hour moisture, in the tube). I apply it all over right after I get out of the shower before patting dry, I find the water helps thin it out and I don't feel greasy. I can't wear perfume at work so I get different scents and vary it through the week (it's mild enough that no one mentions it, but it makes me feel good to know I smell good). If you don't like scent, there are unscented variety lotions on the market.

I have no idea it it actually helps stretch marks, but I can tell mine have faded, and I haven't noticed any new ones since I started moisturizing daily (I used to be a once-in-a-while kind of gal), and I've yo-yo'ed about 30lbs in the matter of a year. YMMV though.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Mine did after pregnancy