New to Maintenance

Hello everyone. I just finished my first week in maintenance. I lost 116.6 pounds in total. This week I put on a pound. I wasn’t sure how I would feel about the gain, but I know that maintenance is a range. Also I ate more carbs this week than usual, so I’m in a good head space.
I think the hardest part for me is that I was part of a weight loss group/competition for the last few months. It’s weird to go from that supportive atmosphere to being all alone. Are there any maintenance groups? I’m used to being in daily contact with people on the same journey.

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Congratulations! That is an impressive loss. You are not alone; there are a lot of us in here facing the challenges of maintaining the new weight.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    edited July 2018
    Have you thought about bringing those people along on a new journey? Make a different goal now. Maybe fitness related. Number of steps per day or something like that? 800g of vegetables per day? Working toward a 5K or 10K or marathon or whatever kind of fitness goal sounds fun to you. As you work those goals you'll find new people, too.

I don't see why you would have to lose touch with those with whom you enjoyed interacting...
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,967 Member
    Welcome to maintenance and congrats on your amazing loss! There is a "Maintainer's Weekly Check-in" thread that is posted each month. I have found it to be very helpful. We'd love to have you join us. There is an active thread for July and I noticed that the August thread has been posted as well.
  • mrsjen1310
    mrsjen1310 Posts: 6 Member
    Also struggle with the range in maintenance too... Find I just want to always be at the lowest number and have considered loosing another 5 pounds so that I always would be at that or lower...however I know I would *still* want to be at the new lowest number! Its just hard to see the scales go up and down and not feel panicked!
  • pkweier
    pkweier Posts: 349 Member
    mrsjen1310 wrote: »
    Also struggle with the range in maintenance too... Find I just want to always be at the lowest number and have considered loosing another 5 pounds so that I always would be at that or lower...however I know I would *still* want to be at the new lowest number! Its just hard to see the scales go up and down and not feel panicked!

I'm going through the same and September it will be a year
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    I'm not aware of any groups, but perhaps adding some maintenance folks to your FL would help?
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    katevt78 wrote: »
    Hello everyone. I just finished my first week in maintenance. I lost 116.6 pounds in total. This week I put on a pound. I wasn’t sure how I would feel about the gain, but I know that maintenance is a range. Also I ate more carbs this week than usual, so I’m in a good head space.
    I think the hardest part for me is that I was part of a weight loss group/competition for the last few months. It’s weird to go from that supportive atmosphere to being all alone. Are there any maintenance groups? I’m used to being in daily contact with people on the same journey.

I wonder if there is a Facebook page for weight maintainers. Anyone know?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    This is a forum for maintainers and as noted up thread, there is weekly check in thread here too.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,230 Member
    Congratulations!

Yes after LOSING since January 2013 I made GW May 2018 (-195) the mindset is different! But I am determined to not gain back weight like I did my entire life.

Monthly tracker is working for me.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Congratulations! I'm almost at maintenance. Been here before. For me real friends make all the difference to stay here. And switching to fitness goals
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited September 2018
    Congrats :smile:
    Our maintenance weight is not one single number but a range - most people have a -/+ 5lb range, if they are within that all is well.
    There is a monthly maintainers thread here which you might find useful > https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10692310/maintainers-weekly-check-in-september-2018#latest
  • rcreynol3090
    rcreynol3090 Posts: 174 Member
    Welcome to the 'support group'!