No eggs!

Any yummy breakfast ideas out there? I’m looking for high protein suggestions that don’t include eggs.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I don't eat eggs. When I want a high protein breakfast, I have tofu scramble or a bean-based dish (this is one of my favorites -- I'll make a batch on Sunday and have breakfasts for several days: https://jessicainthekitchen.com/gentle-morning-kitchari-one-pot-vegan-gf/ ).
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Porridge/oatmeal with fruit/nuts - I also add peanut butter for added flavour.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Man, this would kill me. I try to eat (our admittedly bizarre version of) vegetarian and vegan when I can muster the will-power, which is fairly frequently. However, eggs are always on the menu and I probably rely on them too heavily.

I'm interested to see other folks' ideas. Normally, I would make the following with scrambled eggs (so maybe just do it without):

Pinto or black beans

Maybe sub brown rice for the eggs

Fresh salsa

Fresh cilantro.

Vegan food is all about fresh herbs, IMO.
  • loulou6326
    loulou6326 Posts: 1 Member
    I do a half cup of oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder (Man Sports Peanut Butter Bits). I have ate this for years and never get tired of it. Only about 250 calories and almost 30 grams of protein.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I just have protein enriched cereal most days
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    You could do protein pancakes. As the protein powder of your choice to pancake mix or I know that Kodiak Called makes a higher protein mix that is reasonably priced. Or, you could add PB powder and make peanut butter pancakes. 2 Tbs of the peanut butter powder only has 70 calories but 8g of protein.I know it's not a ton, but depending on your calorie requirements and how much protein you need, this is a tasty option. It's a great addition to protein smoothies. I usually do unflavored whey because I hate sugar substitutes (stevia, sucralose, etc) and the peanut butter powder is a nice addition.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    A Quest bar and yogurt.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 964 Member
    I love protein bread, hummus and avocado for breakfast. Sometimes I sprinkle pine nuts on it.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Avocado toast is amazing and you can certainly add a lot of variants to top it with.

Also, I like leftover sauteed kale and onions. I usually top it with a fried egg (I know, sorry), bacon, and parmesan. Love my savory breakfasts. I couldn't do all of the protein powder described in this thread.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Sandwich with meat and cheese
    Cottage cheese
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Leftovers from high-protein supper.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Greek yogurt, high protein granola, and frozen fruit of some kind.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    protein smoothie
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Steak tacos.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Someone finally mentioned Greek Yogurt. I mix yogurt in with my oatmeal. Maybe add a little fruit too. For lower calorie extra protein try stirring in some PB 2.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I use the same ingredients raw overnight to make overnight oatmeal for a different texture.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    edited September 2018
    I'm allergic to egg yolks (although I can still do the whites). My high protein breakfasts are usually greek yogurt with nuts and fruit, or whole-grain bread (which has a surprising amount of protein) with peanut butter.

A good multi-grain porridge/hot cereal with added nuts has a lot of protein, especially if cooked with milk.

Buckwheat pancakes also have a comparatively high amount of protein: I like to spread them with PB & jam and roll them up.

And, of course, meat.

I usually have a big glass of milk with all of the above.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    I do overnight oats with oatmeal, protein powder, Greek yogurt, almond milk, cinnamon and a few nuts for some texture .
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    I love cottage cheese mixed with a little fruit...not sure where you live...but Kroger has their brand in about 5 flavors...all have about 110 calories and 16g protein. Great for on the go.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Man, this would kill me. I try to eat (our admittedly bizarre version of) vegetarian and vegan when I can muster the will-power, which is fairly frequently. However, eggs are always on the menu and I probably rely on them too heavily.

I'm interested to see other folks' ideas. Normally, I would make the following with scrambled eggs (so maybe just do it without):

Pinto or black beans

Maybe sub brown rice for the eggs

Fresh salsa

Fresh cilantro.

Vegan food is all about fresh herbs, IMO.

Why are you assuming OP is vegan or even vegetarian? There's no mention of that in the OP. A person can dislike or have an allergy to eggs without being vegan or vegetarian.

My suggestions:

Dinner leftovers. No law that you have to eat "breakfast foods" for breakfast.

Muesli (cold oats with milk or yogurt and whatever fruit, nuts, or other add-ins you like). You can make it the night before, if you like.

"Breakfast" meat of your choice (bacon, sausage, ham, scrapple, Spam, steak ...) with toast and fruit.

Toast or bagel with coffee. Add some cheese and fruit if you want.

A big bowl of fruit, with some yogurt as a topping. Add toast if you like.

Cold cereal of your choice, topped with fruit and milk.