Personal Trainers with Facial Piercings??

Replies

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Facial piercings have no bearing on someone's qualifications to do a job. Same with tattoos.
  • paulduddy54
    paulduddy54 Posts: 12 Member
    Really appreciate the feedback guys, extremely insightful!

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I personally wouldn't care. I think the majority of people wouldn't care either, but some would. That's just how the world is, I'm sure you knew that when you got your piercings.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member

My question is, would you be be put off/not approach someone for personal training if they had facial piercings?

Tattoos or facial piercings wouldn't bother me but it's likely it would put off some potential customers.

On the flip side it may be to your advantage with a certain (younger) demographic so may be a good selling point.

Just don't go all 6ix9ine though...
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    edited September 2018
    Situational... if i were looking for someone with a professional look (society standards) then I'd feel more comfortable with someone without facial piercings, but if i don't care about that at all then it wouldn't matter if my PT had facial piercings. I guess it really depends on your clientele. Will they be more old fashioned or more modern? Grandma and grandpa might have a different outlook on things compared to young adults or kids.

In the end what matters most is the PT knowledge and compatibility with said client.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    I will admit sometimes I see some piercings that look rather shocking but more in a painful way to me but that is my own hang up. I try to treat everyone as I want to be treated no matter if they have visible tattoos and piercings or not. Some of the nicest people I know have piercings and tattoos and some of the biggest jerks do not. If a person is a good PT or good person in general I really don't care how they look.
  • CNG24
    CNG24 Posts: 432 Member
    I think it will serve more of an a**hole detector and keep away clients you don’t want to be around anyway.

This^^
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited September 2018
    Over 50 here and it wouldn't bother me a bit. My hairdresser has more facial piercing, tattoos and wild hair colours than anyone I know and she is a sweet girl, who cuts my hair the way I like it. That is what I care about. (I do have a back of neck tattoo though so obviously I am not body modification averse in general)
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    The only thing I dislike are nose piercings. Not because I don't like piercings, but because I would just start thinking of all that nasty nose gunk accumulating around a ring or stud and it would put me off.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    I was a massage therapist for ten years. I got a ton of complements on my tattoos from older and very elderly clients. A few even asked for the names of artists and one or two even got work done after seeing tattoos did not have to be “just skulls”. Lol.

I don’t have anything peirced but my ears so can’t comment on that but I do find the world is becoming much more open to personal expression and if not then you can, as said above, use it to help filter out the clients you probably won’t get along with anyway.
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    It wouldn't bother me, but if I was in your position and was worried, I'd wait until I had my clientele, and see what sort of customer I draw in, then decide whether or not I would show my piercings tattoos
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I think it makes a difference if your facial piercings are fairly subtle versus large and in great quantity. I'd be okay with a lip ring or two but looking at some pictures of people with a lot more intense amount or size of jewelry in their face I see I probably would be put off by some level of facial piercings for someone I would hire for a personal trainer even if they were just as qualified as someone with fewer piercings.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    I think it would be semi beneficial if you were after more of a younger crowd to train. We live in a world where tattoos and piercings are common, Your mother/grandmothers not to much. I wouldnt really want to work with someone overly judgemental and unwilling to change their old fashioned minds.

That said if your area is mostly older ladies etc, Its possible it would be helpful to remove them. Cant have a job without customers and as far as training im betting older women make up a big portion of the customers.

Maybe take them out until you get a solid customer base. Only you really knows what the customers around you are like. Personally id be more drawn to tattoos/peircings though i guess thats because i have them to :p
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    First impressions matter. You may cause some people to look elsewhere and you may draw some people in. Not a fan of facial piercings myself, but that's just because I am 64 years old. But I have also learned in my many years that you should never judge a book by it's cover.

I know people in their 60s who are absolutely fine with facial piercings and I even know a handful of people in their 60s who have them. If you're not a fan, I don't think your age is the reason.

Some people generally have trouble accepting changes in trends, fashion, or social mores, but they can be found in all age groups.

Why can't someone just not be a fan of tattoos or piercings without it be about not accepting changes? I'm not a fan of lengthy fingernails (fake or real), fake tans, or large beards, and those were all common in my childhood and youth.

I don't think it's a 1:1 conversation. She said "some" people. "Some" people are resistant to change. Some people aren't. Doesn't mean you necessarily are.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    I don't care for gauges myself but as long as they don't get in the way of the work out I wouldn't think it mattered. Piercing I don't even think about unless it's "Hmm, that's a cute earring, I wonder where they got it?"

Trainer is not an office position so the dress code isn't as formal.