Keto is dangerous!

rsclause
rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
I have had two people say this to me on the same day. I said how? I have looked and can't find any information on this. They just mumble it just is. Is there any information on keto being dangerous that you all are aware of?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    People have been doing a ketogenic diet deliberately for 100 years and so far as I know, no one has died from it. Some cultures have had naturally ketogenic diets for thousands of years in good health (inuti, maasai, etc.) with no known harmful side effects.

Perhaps they are confused about ketoacidosis vs ketosis?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    I have seen more than one 'health' blogger make the clam that dietary ketosis is just a lighter form of ketoacidosis (which couldn't be farther from the truth). Maybe they saw one of those blogs.
  • Rainqueen77
    Rainqueen77 Posts: 116 Member
    My daughter was fasting and went to the doctors. Doctor told her the ketones in her urine would mess up her kidneys.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    ...that doesn't really make a lot of sense given that recent studies are experimenting with using keto to reverse kidney damage...
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    My daughter was fasting and went to the doctors. Doctor told her the ketones in her urine would mess up her kidneys.

I think the Dr is mis-informed. Ketone production is a natural evolutionary response to a lack of carbs in the diet (a process that evolved to keep the body alive and functioning when there are no carbs available).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I think people confused the old low fat recommendations with the fact that there is no real science backing up the idea that less fat is better. ;)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    There are better and worse ways to eat few enough carbs to be in ketosis, and some of them could be pretty low in key nutrients.

But that's probably not what they had mind...
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    They are probably pulling on the anti-saturated fat myth. That said, there is some truth, but only due to application of the ketogenic diet. Studies have shown that processed meat can increase cancer risk. And poor quality meat has been show to increase inflammation. If you're now on a bacon diet, it is bad for you.

If you're eating high quality, whole foods, you're on track to improve your health. Don't just focus on the macros, make sure you're getting the nutrition you need.
  • rsclause
    They are probably pulling on the anti-saturated fat myth. That said, there is some truth, but only due to application of the ketogenic diet. Studies have shown that processed meat can increase cancer risk. And poor quality meat has been show to increase inflammation. If you're now on a bacon diet, it is bad for you.

If you're eating high quality, whole foods, you're on track to improve your health. Don't just focus on the macros, make sure you're getting the nutrition you need.

Why would bacon be bad?
    I used to think processed meat was bad but now not so sure. Dr. KenDBerry had this resent youtube on this and I found it interesting https://youtube.com/watch?v=8Ygs2j0v0sU
  • rsclause
    When I search for Keto is bad for you or dangerous most of the hits I get are pro keto videos using this as click bait. I would think if there was anything to it I would find pages of articles proclaiming the dangers of keto.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member

The study that has shown increased cancer risk is only for colon cancer. There was a 20% increase in risk which brings your risk of colon cancer up to 6% from 5%. It is a slight increase that will cause some to avoid processed meats, but others not.

There is no evidence that meat causes cancer nor raises the risk of CVD, as far as I know.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »

I think the Dr is mis-informed. Ketone production is a natural evolutionary response to a lack of carbs in the diet (a process that evolved to keep the body alive and functioning when there are no carbs available).

It just sounds to me like an extension of the ketoacidosis association. And that the Dr. doesn't understand how either ketosis or ketoacidosis actually works.

• rsclause
    Just finished "Tripping Over The Truth" a fascinating book that explores the history of cancer research and how the low carb WOE can disrupt cancer cell growth. Just started "Big Fat Surprise" ....the research continues.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    rsclause wrote: »
    SNIP

Why would bacon be bad?
    I used to think processed meat was bad but now not so sure. Dr. KenDBerry had this resent youtube on this and I found it interesting https://youtube.com/watch?v=8Ygs2j0v0sU

I know... The truth is, nobody is going to fund studies around food quality. I've met and interviewed several of the folks on the keto conference and speaking line up. And there is gap there. I'm more in line with Dr. Will Cole (Keto-tarian).

But I agree with Dr. Eric Westman that getting someone to make that first step is critical. If bacon is the bridge, then great. I'd like to see more people eat real, unprocessed foods. If you're going to eat a processed meat, at least do the research to know what chemicals they added to it so you can make an informed decision.

• tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,565 Member
    I attended a health seminar at work recently and a keto question came up. I was disappointed that both the doctor and the registered dietician on the panel criticized keto and low carb as unsustainable in the long term. If medical personnel are going to speak on a health subject, they need to be better informed before opening their big traps!
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Keto is dangerous to the income of healthcare professionals.

This is a likely explanation to me. How are they going to win the cruise for prescribing statins if all their patients go off them?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    2t9nty wrote: »
    Keto is dangerous to the income of healthcare professionals.

This is a likely explanation to me. How are they going to win the cruise for prescribing statins if all their patients go off them?

Well from talking to healthcare staff I doubt if more than 1 in 10,000 will do keto to improve health markers. Rx med usage will just increase for years to come I expect.

Ben Franklin knew an ounce of preventative was worth a pound of cure a couple centries ago but it didn't catch on. :(