Starting The Vegan Keto lifestyle diet

I’ve been plant based vegan for over a year now and want to try incorporating ketogenics but remaining vegan. My husband is following a Keto lifestyle with his trainer and getting good results.
I’m hoping it’ll help increase my energy as I’ve been quite carb heavy before on vegan diet. I also have ME so interested to see how this helps my energy and insulin levels throughout the day, also improving sleep.
Helpful advice welcomed! I will stay plant based vegan and use quorn and tofu/tempeh based proteins as well as a lot of green leafy veg & avocados, I have recently included eggs into my diet recommended by my naturopath to balance my insulin spikes, bulletproof decaf coffees (green tea & turmeric lattes) with coconut oil.
Excited to start a new science based diet and have ordered Keto test strips, as well as a few other items to help me track Ketosis.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    But aren't you plant based anyway if you're vegan?
  • milowen
    milowen Posts: 40 Member
    I'm vegetarian and find keto has been really rewarding, for the most part. However, I had to admit to myself that I was actually going to have to settle for low carb, high fat since restricting things like onion and tomato was making me miserable. I get closer to 35-45g carbs per day instead of 20.
    So, even if you can't stick to strict keto, you can still improve your health and sustain a low carb diet. I'm also doing IF. I think it's probably as effective as the diet is alone. I lost about 20lbs last month. Good luck!
  • AlexMorganMc
    AlexMorganMc Posts: 42 Member
    Like others are saying, eggs are not a part of a vegan diet. However, if eating them is making you feel good, then there's nothing wrong with that (just noting that it's now not accurate to say "vegan"). Vegan and vegetarian keto is certainly something people do, though it can be difficult to navigate in the beginning. After finding out your protein goal, the next step is to make sure you're staying under 50 net carbs a day (fibre subtracted from total carbs is your net carb count). I've seen vegans and vegetarians approach this with a diet based heavily in certain nuts and seeds, avocado, leafy greens, and protein supplements. That said, it can be difficult to achieve both plant-based (or mostly plant-based) and keto lifestyles. If you find yourself not feeling good after a few weeks and/or your blood work is showing nutritional deficiencies, you may want to find a different way of eating that works for you. Good luck!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    I lived in yoga retreat centers for three years and knew lots of vegans who were healthy, fit, and had plenty of energy, despite eating probably 60% plus carbs. However, these carbs primarily came from whole foods such as legumes, rice, fruits, and veggies. They ate very little accidentally vegan foods like Oreos. They also got lots of exercise.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    edited September 2018
    All vegan diets are plant-based by definition; is there something you’re restricting above and beyond animal products?

I do keto and love it, but dairy, eggs, and meat are go-to staples for me and eliminating those means you’ll need a lot of meal and snack planning. Avocados, vegetable/nut oils, coconut milk, and nuts (especially macadamia, Brazil, and pecan) are going to have to be regular parts of your day. Eggs will also help a lot! Two or three over-easy on a pile of arugula is a lovely little meal, especially with a piece of dark chocolate after.

Pinterest is a great resource for every kind of dietary restriction, and I suggest starting there!
  • I have been doing keto for about 9 months and honestly cannot imagine it as a vegan. I'd be living on nuts, coconut oil and veggies only. The level of restriction would be unreal.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    I’ve been plant based vegan for over a year now and want to try incorporating ketogenics but remaining vegan. My husband is following a Keto lifestyle with his trainer and getting good results.
    I’m hoping it’ll help increase my energy as I’ve been quite carb heavy before on vegan diet. I also have ME so interested to see how this helps my energy and insulin levels throughout the day, also improving sleep.
    Helpful advice welcomed! I will stay plant based vegan and use quorn and tofu/tempeh based proteins as well as a lot of green leafy veg & avocados, I have recently included eggs into my diet recommended by my naturopath to balance my insulin spikes, bulletproof decaf coffees (green tea & turmeric lattes) with coconut oil.
    Excited to start a new science based diet and have ordered Keto test strips, as well as a few other items to help me track Ketosis.

Your biggest challenge is going to be getting enough protein. I would target that first. Getting your fats in is much easier when restricting animal products than getting in protein (and iron). Make sure you're supplementing B-12.

Remember weight goals (lose, maintain, gain) depend on calories, so if you are also calorie-restricted, it may be difficult to eat enough allowed foods to meet your daily nutritional needs, so keep focused on that as well. Honestly, I would drop the bullet-proof coffee in favor of fatty foods with more of a variety of nutrients like avocado and nuts.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    There's an active vegetarian/vegan keto group on Facebook who post alot of recipies and menu ideas
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    If you join the Low Carber Daily MFP group, you can look in their LCD launch pad. In there they have a link to types of low carb/keto, which has lists of helpful vegetarian or vegan keto websites. That might help you get started.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum

Good luck!