Hiking and backpacking

I recently started these two hobbies. Anyone else do them and wanna talk about them?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    @midwesterner85 @NorthCascades you are hikers, yes?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    I do... got a big one (relatively speaking) coming this weekend.
  • kaleekiwi
    kaleekiwi Posts: 8 Member
    I love hiking! It acts as an active mediation for me. There is nothing more soothing than to move quietly through nature and take in all that is around me. I go hiking once or twice a week- also love backpacking but havent been in a while.
  • dlarsen1313
    dlarsen1313 Posts: 6 Member
    They both are a major passion of mine! My dream is to do both the Pacific Crest and the Appalachian before I turn 55. I just have not found anyone to do them with me yet.

I have a plan in the works to do part of the Appalachian trail with my brother next fall! And I would love to do a Grand canyon R2R, and Pacific Crest some day too. Have you seen the movie "Wild"?
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    I love hiking, I live on the edge of the Peak District in the UK, I hike with my toddler on my back

Not been able to get out as often as I would like this summer, arthritis has been kicking my *kitten*

Hoping to get it under control and be back out there next year
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Ahhh love my hikes! I want to start overnights so I'm researching packs. Any recommendations? I'm a minimalist when camping so I don't need anything huge or bulky.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    I miss hiking
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    Ahhh love my hikes! I want to start overnights so I'm researching packs. Any recommendations? I'm a minimalist when camping so I don't need anything huge or bulky.

Comfort is key. Chances are if you're only going for a couple of nights, space will not be the issue as to much as weight is, so go for the smallest pack you can fit your stuff into. Also, the smaller you are, the smaller your pack should be. Try your packs on make sure it is comfortable, the fanciest of packs will be no good if it's not comfortable.

Oh, and that pocket at the bottom where you put your sleeping bag into: When it's been chucking it down with rain continuously all day, isn't as waterproof as you think it should be. Take it from me, sleeping in a wet sleeping bag, after a long day's tough hike, it not at all fun. Wrap it in a plastic bag. In fact, line your main compartment with a black bin liner. You'll never regret it :wink:
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    I love hiking! Unfortunately, in and around Berlin, Germany, where I live, it's pretty flat, so the hiking is not very spectacular. I envy all of you living in the Pacific Northwest or the Rockies! I got one long hiking weekend and one week in this year, but next year, I'm planning a three-week trip to one of my favorite places on earth, South Tyrol in Northern Italy.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Deviette wrote: »
    I miss hiking
    funjen1972 wrote: »

Comfort is key. Chances are if you're only going for a couple of nights, space will not be the issue as to much as weight is, so go for the smallest pack you can fit your stuff into. Also, the smaller you are, the smaller your pack should be. Try your packs on make sure it is comfortable, the fanciest of packs will be no good if it's not comfortable.

Oh, and that pocket at the bottom where you put your sleeping bag into: When it's been chucking it down with rain continuously all day, isn't as waterproof as you think it should be. Take it from me, sleeping in a wet sleeping bag, after a long day's tough hike, it not at all fun. Wrap it in a plastic bag. In fact, line your main compartment with a black bin liner. You'll never regret it :wink:

Lol I know all about wet gear - I learned to backpack in the Army! I'm fairly tall and strong, so I can handle some weight. Comfort is key since I don't have much of my own padding.

I already do weekly 15 mile hikes (really a cardio walk...I finish in 3.5 hours) with minimal weight (water bottle, dry socks, snacks, phone, utility tool) in a simple string bag. Its time to increase pack quality and weight.

I know technology has advanced since my Army days (almost 30 years ago *gulp*) so I'm curious what's out there. I guess I need to go shopping!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Yes, love hiking, backpacking, trail running... there are a lot of differences from region to region, season to season, and even among different parks.

In fact, this weekend, I plan to hike/backpack, and hunt. I'm going out with another person on Fri. evening after work, will camp out Fri. and Sat. evening, hike and shoot some rabbits and squirrels on Sat. and Sun. Going home at the end of the day Sun. so I can sleep at home and go to work Mon. morning. I might even bring a collapsable / telescopic fishing pole with me in case we find some ponds in the area. There is a creek as well, which may be high enough at this point to have fish.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i don't get to do as much as i would like but Wisconsin and the surrounding area has some nice trails. nothing overnight yet.
    i want to camp but only go once a year thus far

when i get more financially stable, i would like to go to the pnw more often
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    when i get more financially stable, i would like to go to the pnw more often

Yes, I keep saying that too. And I'll be retired by the time I'm done paying student loans, too. :(
  • thezenarya
    thezenarya Posts: 38 Member
    edited September 2018
    Hiking and backpacking are absolutely my two favourite activities. I put a lot of money into it at first to make sure I got great gear, and I'm still using almost all my original equipment from 5 year ago. Trying to work my way over to the PNW in the U.S. I wanted to full-on hike the A.T., but wasn't able to take that kind of time off from grad school and work. Did section-hike it, though. Would also love to backpack through Europe at some point. Wanted to hike this weekend, but expecting a lot of rain from hurricane Florence. :(
  • me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    I love hiking! Nothing better to recharge the batteries. I stepped it up this year and went once or twice a week to prep for the Inca trail which I did about a month ago. Spectacular! I definitely want to get into more backpacking next year