About to give up

I've put on around 40 pounds over the last few years and I'm trying to lose it.

I had a horrible diet, fat food and soda ALL day.

For 3 weeks, I've completely changed. No fast food, no soda, no rice, no potato.. I eat around 1200 a day.

Ive only lost 5 lbs!

At 3lb/week I should be closer to 10 by now.

Im 162 right now. 33 years old. 5'3.

Very discouraged... I just want to order chinese and give up. Im giving up everything good and losing at a snails pace.

Replies

• Don_WM_
    Don_WM_ Posts: 262 Member
    A lot of great advice already.
    2 pounds a week is the generally accepted safe maintainable number. Much more loss per week is generally not something you can do for life and to truly lose weight and keep it off, it has to be just that: A new lifestyle. You're actually doing pretty good. Keep in mind your body needs time to adjust - it takes time to teach it you aren't going to be having the same eating habits. Do some research and you'll be better educated on what you can eat - I eat 'junk' food occasionally (usually sorry afterward) and it doesn't change my eating lifestyle or my weight much. Are you exercising? It helps a lot with weight loss AND attitude - even walking 10000 steps a day or less depending on how sedentary you were before is great exercise (it's what I started with). Stick with it, never never never give up. You will be so glad you didn't in the end.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Pick an eating style that gives you a slight deficit and let time do the rest. I can get pretty aggressive like no cheating and running 30+ miles a week. I learned not to go extremely low on calories the hard way. I went way low thinking I am going to kill this. I was so sick I had to stop running and eat for to days just to get back to normal. I also found I lose faster with a manageable deficit. As long as the scale is moving in the right direction you got this.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    I've put on around 40 pounds over the last few years and I'm trying to lose it.

I had a horrible diet, fat food and soda ALL day.

For 3 weeks, I've completely changed. No fast food, no soda, no rice, no potato.. I eat around 1200 a day.

Ive only lost 5 lbs!

At 3lb/week I should be closer to 10 by now.

Im 162 right now. 33 years old. 5'3.

Very discouraged... I just want to order chinese and give up. Im giving up everything good and losing at a snails pace.

You could be retaining water due to the stress of undereating.

I'd be miserable on 1200 calories too. With only 40 pounds to lose, set your weekly weight loss goal to a pound a week and enjoy those extra calories.

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    don't give up! Remember you started for a reason. Just stay the course and remember Rome wasn't built in a day. Also, you didn't put the weight on super fast so why think it should evaporate super fast. 5 pounds is good so far... keep on keeping on... remember the svelt body you desire is within in your reach...one pound at a time.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Where is giving up going to get you? Apart from 5lbs back on, plus more. 1200 calories a day is too low and is making you feel deprived. A more realistic calorie goal will mean you can still have some of what you enjoy and you'll still lose.
  • Hi Ashley- Trying to change your lifestyle and fitness can be, at times, discouraging. Give yourself time to adjust. Maybe trying Yoga will help you to re-set. It isn't a way to loose weight necessarily, but it does help with anxiety and stress. Studies have shown that Yoga raises your Cortisol levels, known to improve depression and anxiety.
    Breath deep and hug yourself. Namaste :smile: