Less Alcohol - September 2018 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• winnerinky
    winnerinky Posts: 5 Member
    Great thread, I am happy to say I finally have started my nearly-free alcohol journey. Cheers to us all for our efforts!!
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,532 Member
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    OMG I found you guys! I have not been on this thread since May.

June, July and August are my travel, party, drinking, do it all before Winter months. I've picked up some weight. I don't regret it. I am back on track, I haven't had a desire to drink. But it feels good being back. I will have to catch up and do some reading.

Holy smokes....look who's in da house -> @dbanks80 welcome back.
    Being aware of where you now stand with alcohol and wanting to cut back is a huge achievement for you @FeelinFooFoo. It truly foes take baby steps for the majority of us doing this. More power to those who can quit cold turkey ( what ever the vise may be that they are trying to control)
    It sounds as though you plan is well thought out and having your partner on your level makes it a heck of a lot easier. Cheering for you.
    winnerinky wrote: »
    Great thread, I am happy to say I finally have started my nearly-free alcohol journey. Cheers to us all for our efforts!!
    😆

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    MissMay wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    I read today that the UK have a new campaign called "Drink Free Days".

https://www.drinkfreedays.co.uk/

The site has a calculator that converts your glasses of alcohol to standard units.

Woah, I was drinking a lot!

I recommend doing the check.

PLUS, the site has an app!

Orphia, I have belonged to this site since this past Spring. EXCELLENT tools and references for cutting back or quiting. I love the daily calender to keep track of either no drinking day or how many and what type you did have.
    The only thing is I am SHOCKED that the UK has higher drinking standards ratios. Women are allotted 14 drinks per week there compared to the 7 for the USA standard.( I will stick to the USA standard thank you! )

@viceam yes I am finally feeling better as of yesterday. That darn goldenrod going in my field was getting the best of me.

No, the UK standard drink is only 0.564 of a US standard drink.
  • MissMay
    @orphia wrote: No, the UK standard drink is only 0.564 of a US standard drink.

Oh gee, not sure how I misinturpted that difference.

• JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    I hate to say that, for me, it's all about La Croix or club soda.

We're attempting two different themed months: September to Remember (only one or two days where drinks are allowed) and Sober October (cold turkey, baby).
  • MissMay
    @MissMay - The only thing is I am SHOCKED that the UK has higher drinking standards ratios. Women are allotted 14 drinks per week there compared to the 7 for the USA standard.( I will stick to the USA standard thank you! )
    Ok I see now.
    The UK uses the term UNITS. Women are suggested to stick to 14 UNITS or less per week which would be equivalent to 7.89 US drinks by measure.

Makes my head hurt "to do the math".

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    I went to Italy couple weeks ago. I have to say the wine there is phenomenal. I did overindulge but what was great is that I did not have a hangover not once. It is to the point that I really dont want to drink wine here because I am so turned off by the hangovers and lethargy. Maybe that is a good thing. What is in our wine that makes it so different from theirs.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
  • Bevitup
    Bevitup Posts: 4 Member
    This was very helpful to read! Thank you!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    MissMay wrote: »
    @MissMay - The only thing is I am SHOCKED that the UK has higher drinking standards ratios. Women are allotted 14 drinks per week there compared to the 7 for the USA standard.( I will stick to the USA standard thank you! )
    Ok I see now.
    The UK uses the term UNITS. Women are suggested to stick to 14 UNITS or less per week which would be equivalent to 7.89 US drinks by measure.

Makes my head hurt "to do the math".

Sorry, I replied very briefly earlier. I totally agree about the maths!

It's so confusing all the differences in standard units between countries, and I assumed the UK and Australia and the US were all the same.

I haven't got my head around it at all!

All I know is, the calculator said I was drinking more than 95% of women, and I'm so glad I've quit!

I should add, that I'm pretty sure that the women they're comparing me to all probably lied about how much they drink!

I wonder what the real percentage of people who drink more than the Australian 5 drinks a week is. I would guess 80%
  • karenesg
    karenesg Posts: 318 Member
    Still taking baby steps. Blew my day 7 on Monday. Now on Day 2 again. Anniversary celebration today. Can I skip the champagne? Or, if I do not, can I stop at 2 glasses? We’ll see. I do not like how I woke up feeling yesterday. Headachy. Nauseous. Exhausted. Regretful. Work tomorrow will be torture if I do a rerun of Monday night.

I like what you said viceam... so true... Learning moment: This is a lifestyle change. Don't be afraid to re-direct your friends. For all you know, they may look up to you and be inspired to change as well :)
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    It’s so good to see that moderation is working for many of you. It’s all about self awareness.... What you can or cannot handle or live with. I think this thread is so helpful because it let’s us process our thoughts about alcohol with each word we type. For some, you may find moderation is too difficult to deal with and you may want to try a 30 days fast from alcohol-Just to see if you can and how you feel without it.
    @forestdweller1 Congrats on 3 months AF.