The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Replies

• allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    edited September 2018
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Happy Wednesday. My eyes must be broken because everyday I'm only seeing gray. One heckuva a rainy season.

I had been seeing the same thing every day until I decided to take down the bathroom mirror. ;)

Where the heck is the laughing emoji here? I'd say replace the obnoxious "woo" with a grin.

But the mirror is still up and it's still gray here, though thinking about those south of me awaiting Florence's arrival. Sure hope the weathermen keep their past accuracy up and it turns into a dud.

Good run last night, will do a long Yoga session tonight. Just got back from the doc's for my flu shot and another hep shot--I do a lot of travel to weird places so have to maintain strange vaccinations (not that hep is a strange one). I'll have my fond memories of my Yellow Fever vaccination I got in Ecuador where they spoke no English, I spoke no Spanish, and I think they thought I had yellow fever instead of requesting the vaccination due to my poor translation of "I want a yellow fever shot". Anyway, hep shots hurt like the darned tetanus shots. So for that reason, no headstands tonight in Yoga :)

Carpe Diem!
  • postolache
    postolache Posts: 187 Member
    Hi everyone, 41 years old here! A bit of "middle age", some sweets/cookies addiction that I need to overcome, trying to exercise more ...

Feel free to add me !
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Hooray other than the usual you're over 40 bloodwork, a tetanus shot and an ultrasound for my shoulder That my physio requested I'm normal. My Dr was a bit taken aback when I told her in the winter I hope to keep up running up to three times a week, skate two times a week and curl three times a week. She figures with my activity level in healthy. Oh and no discussion about weight. Yay I worried for nothing
  • FitnTrimSteve
    FitnTrimSteve Posts: 664 Member
    Hi all,

I'm 48 with a severe Dad Bod :)

I refuse to call 48 middle age as so many people are now living healthy, mostly independent lives into their hundreds. As I tell my daughter, I plan to be healthy enough to attend my great great grand-kids weddings. Hey, everyone needs goals right :lol:
  • billiegirl17
    billiegirl17 Posts: 47 Member
    I am 55, but really don't feel that age mentally. Now I just have to get my body to catch up to my mind. Just came back to MFP - I could use some support. Add me
  • dmmihelcic
    dmmihelcic Posts: 161 Member
    At the risk of getting flamed (seems to happen a lot on MFP) I must disclose I am on day 10 of the 10 Day Green Smoothie Cleanse. 3 green smoothies (kale, spinach, mixed green + fruit, water, flax seed, blend..) a day plus fruit, veggies, almonds, and hard boiled eggs as snacks. While I did always drink 3 a day, generally I subbed with fruit or veggies that would have gone in the smoothie anyway. Slipped a couple of times (jalapeno Margarita, Irish Manhattan, and a few Bud lite) and I did have a couple of salads with clean protein late in the cleanse when I had business lunch/dinners. It looks like when all is said and done I'm down about 13 lbs in 10 days. And yes, I know some of that was "waste" or water, and I know that this kind of 1K calorie a day thing is totally unsustainable. My energy has not been the best and I am ready to kill for a steak. that said I feel better and it seems like a good jump-start to my fitness goals after two years of neglect. Will let you know what happens after I get back to a real, but reasonable diet.....
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    dmmihelcic wrote: »
    My energy has not been the best and I am ready to kill for a steak. that said I feel better and it seems like a good jump-start to my fitness goals after two years of neglect. Will let you know what happens after I get back to a real, but reasonable diet.....

No flames here, since I tend to eat just about all of those greens daily, though mostly consumed as solids as opposed to liquid form. (My full disclosure: I consume roughly 2.5x the calories you mention as your daily intake.)

With that said, I'm curious about the next step: Do you have a particular way of eating in mind as a path to long term success?

• dmmihelcic
    dmmihelcic Posts: 161 Member
    My energy has not been the best and I am ready to kill for a steak. that said I feel better and it seems like a good jump-start to my fitness goals after two years of neglect. Will let you know what happens after I get back to a real, but reasonable diet.....

No flames here, since I tend to eat just about all of those greens daily, though mostly consumed as solids as opposed to liquid form. (My full disclosure: I consume roughly 2.5x the calories you mention as your daily intake.)

With that said, I'm curious about the next step: Do you have a particular way of eating in mind as a path to long term success?

Yes. My plan is to focus on a healthy diet, heavy in fruits and vegetables. Clean protein as well. Will avoid sugar or sugary foods, crap food (chips etc.), white bread. I have forced myself to become obsessive about tracking food and fitness on MFP. I will not give up alcohol, but will moderate, log the calories, and look for low cal/carb drinks. Plan on a 1600-1700 calorie a day diet (which I had started before the cleanse).

Cheers,
    Dave
  • daren2772
    daren2772 Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2018
    Hi Peeps, Been using this app for 3 months now and it has been great. I have a sports science degree and have always known what I should be doing but just never have since my mid 30's, I'm now 46. Three months ago I was 106kgs and realised I needed to make some lifestyle changes. I have managed to drop to 90.5kgs and feel great. Another 10kgs to go and I should be back to a similar shape as I was in my 20's playing sports almost everyday. Missing my daily glass of red but hey feel much better than I have for years.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member

Yes. My plan is to focus on a healthy diet, heavy in fruits and vegetables. Clean protein as well. Will avoid sugar or sugary foods, crap food (chips etc.), white bread. I have forced myself to become obsessive about tracking food and fitness on MFP. I will not give up alcohol, but will moderate, log the calories, and look for low cal/carb drinks. Plan on a 1600-1700 calorie a day diet (which I had started before the cleanse).

Cheers,
    Dave

Cool. I was never successful in reaching a weight goal until I became rigorous about tracking a few years back. I've since learned to maintain without tracking, but to drop weight consistently, I still need to track whatever I shove in my mouth. :)

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    At the risk of getting flamed (seems to happen a lot on MFP) I must disclose I am on day 10 of the 10 Day Green Smoothie Cleanse. 3 green smoothies (kale, spinach, mixed green + fruit, water, flax seed, blend..) a day plus fruit, veggies, almonds, and hard boiled eggs as snacks. While I did always drink 3 a day, generally I subbed with fruit or veggies that would have gone in the smoothie anyway. Slipped a couple of times (jalapeno Margarita, Irish Manhattan, and a few Bud lite) and I did have a couple of salads with clean protein late in the cleanse when I had business lunch/dinners. It looks like when all is said and done I'm down about 13 lbs in 10 days. And yes, I know some of that was "waste" or water, and I know that this kind of 1K calorie a day thing is totally unsustainable. My energy has not been the best and I am ready to kill for a steak. that said I feel better and it seems like a good jump-start to my fitness goals after two years of neglect. Will let you know what happens after I get back to a real, but reasonable diet.....

Whatever works for you. You seem realistic about it so do what's best for you. We are all different. What works for some don't work for others. I'm sure I'd be flamed if I posted how I lost my weight. But hey it worked, I kept it off. Ya I have fluctuated but that's cause I get lazy especially in the summer.

Also as long as you're not promoting unhealthy habits for others do as you wish and well done
  • Cardioguy81
    Cardioguy81 Posts: 196 Member
    Ran 6 miles, pushups, air squats, bicycle crunches, leg lifts then took the kids to menches and watched them eat ice cream with a thousand toppings...
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Have a good one today folk!
  • fitdaddyothree
    fitdaddyothree Posts: 10 Member
    Good morning, group. New guy (38 yrs old). It's nice to see such support among others my age ;)
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Good morning, group. New guy (38 yrs old). It's nice to see such support among others my age ;)

Welcome, that's a nice looking dog..
    Anna28518 wrote: »
    Have a good one today folk!

You too Anna :)
  • Greeny19832014
    Greeny19832014 Posts: 12 Member
    I'm 35 and a half, can I join..? ;)
    Married, no kids, OH is 49 - I'm just starting 5:2 and would love to see some inspiring food and weight loss posts - please add me!
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,535 Member
    I'm 35 and a half, can I join..? ;)
    Married, no kids, OH is 49 - I'm just starting 5:2 and would love to see some inspiring food and weight loss posts - please add me!

Come on in.
  • dkjk1105
    dkjk1105 Posts: 107 Member
    Happy Friday group, hope it's productive for everyone.
  • allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    Yay it's Friday...and still raining. Tired of the hour-long commute, so up at 4, played around on Internet, made doggie poop in yard instead of her walk, and got in by 6:30--which meant only a 24-minute drive. On the agenda is a 5k run after work, long Yoga class, and in bed early. Carpe diem.