Tips for Large Races

DX2JX2
DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
I'm running the Rock 'n Roll Philly half marathon this weekend. It'll be my first really large scale race (>10,000 participants). I usually run in much smaller events (my last half had well less than 1000 people).

Any general tips for taking part in a large scale race like this or in Rock 'n' Roll events overall?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited September 2018
    I'm not sure I've ever done one THAT big, but IME, they aren't really all that different. The starting line is more congested, and it takes longer for things to thin out... so pacing early can be "fun". Otherwise, I've only noticed pros to larger events (better supported, more spectators, etc).
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Seed yourself in the correct corral based on your estimated finish time. There is little more frustrating (and you will, no doubt, experience this) than having to weave around slow runners / walkers who seeded themselves up front and then create unnecessary congestion. I'm pretty sure that the Rock'n'Roll series will have pace bunnies, find the one with your gal time and latch onto them - they're usually very experienced runners that can help you avoid blowing your brains out by going out to fast (I do a couple of 10,000+ runner races a year and the atmosphere is electric)

Get there earlier than you would for a smaller race as the lineups at the port-a-potties can be long.

Other than that it's pretty much like any other race.

Have fun!

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    def find your right pace group; pee/poop early on - the lines get insane right before race start and have fun!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited September 2018
    Can't emphasize enough the importance of starting in the proper corral. If you line up in a faster corral, you risk getting bumped into and trampled, not to mention causing grief for other runners that might be trying to PR. If you line up in a slower corral, you will no doubt be frustrated trying to get around walkers and others who are unaware of their surroundings. Other than a congested start, the race itself will be just like smaller races once the crowds thin out. Expect a slow first mile, regardless of where you start. You will definitely be able to make it up later. The best thing about large races is the crowd support. It will definitely help carry you through. Good luck and enjoy!

ETA: The advice of finding the proper pacer is spot on. In a race this size, they will likely have pacers at every 5-10 minute interval (based on finish time).
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    The excitement of a huge crowd can help carry you along! Just seed yourself correctly, pace yourself, and expect that all the lines will be longer. Pick up your packet the day before if possible. It takes a long time to start that many people and if it's an out and back race, the leaders will be turning around by the time the last wave is started. Have fun!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    If you are getting passed by a lot of people, try not to read too much about your performance into it. Those people may not have started in the right corral, or they might not be pacing themselves very well. (It can also feel really good to go flying by lots of people...until you realize at mile 10 that you were the one who went out too fast...)
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Firstly enjoy the heck out of it. Secondly corral vote for me too. Good luck!!