Over 50 Maintenance struggle and ideal weight

2»

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    atkhorses wrote: »
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I’m 53 and approaching my 2nd anniversary of maintenance after losing 85# (at one point it was 99#).

Year one was a pure white knuckle ride from hell. Year two I’ve been bouncing around up 10, down 10, but today I’m at exactly the same weight as January 1.

There’s a brutal honestly that sets in when your recognize your new reality. To stay lean, you have to work at it. That’s it.

I found it helpful to seek out other health and fitness goals. Mine was to go whole Food plant based (which is a whole new set of challenges) and to become an expert at Pilates (a work in progress).

It’s not easy (at least not for me), but it’s worth it.

Yep, nowine4me, same here. Need to shed 8 to be back at my loss goal. Up, down.....what do I do? Keto, low carb, count calories and forget about macros?? It's driving me cray cray. I need to figure out the best macros for me. Currently doing Keto, but hating it and I need to quit stressing over all this because my hair is falling out!

Stay strong!

Hey @atkhorses I had trouble with falling hair on a super low cal, low carb diet. I quit the diet at that point but just wanted to reassure you that your hair will come back. I find my maintenance is easier if I keep my carbs a bit on the lower end but I lost with just a calorie deficit. I agree tho maintenance is not easy but it is necessary. I will never been that fat again!
  • atkhorses
    atkhorses Posts: 45 Member
    I’m 53 and approaching my 2nd anniversary of maintenance after losing 85# (at one point it was 99#).

Year one was a pure white knuckle ride from hell. Year two I’ve been bouncing around up 10, down 10, but today I’m at exactly the same weight as January 1.

There’s a brutal honestly that sets in when your recognize your new reality. To stay lean, you have to work at it. That’s it.

I found it helpful to seek out other health and fitness goals. Mine was to go whole Food plant based (which is a whole new set of challenges) and to become an expert at Pilates (a work in progress).

Yep, nowine4me, same here. Need to shed 8 to be back at my loss goal. Up, down.....what do I do? Keto, low carb, count calories and forget about macros?? It's driving me cray cray. I need to figure out the best macros for me. Currently doing Keto, but hating it and I need to quit stressing over all this because my hair is falling out!

Stay strong!

Hey @atkhorses I had trouble with falling hair on a super low cal, low carb diet. I quit the diet at that point but just wanted to reassure you that your hair will come back. I find my maintenance is easier if I keep my carbs a bit on the lower end but I lost with just a calorie deficit. I agree tho maintenance is not easy but it is necessary. I will never been that fat again!

Stay strong!

Thanks CherylD! I need to drop 9 pounds then maintenance. However when o add more carbs I gain. This time I will watch calories as I add in more food. Pretty much don’t care to eat bread, cookies and cakes anymore. Crave fruits!! I hope hair will come back, I do feel it is the nutrition and hormones as I am 53. Nice to hear from you
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,674 Member
    I'm 61 and have been maintaining 120-125 for a couple of years. I enjoy running and that is my main key to keeping my weight down. Training for long races gives me a lot of extra calories, so I'm not fighting my urges for an occasional beer or ice cream. I do have to watch out that those don't become daily indulgences, which sometimes happens. Obviously, my biggest issues come when I can't exercise as often - like when we go on long road trips. However, I'm also not usually as hungry then as when I'm training, and I really don't like fast food, so though I'll gain a few pounds, it's never all that much.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    I forgot above, my "ideal" weight is 188 currently. I feel great at 188 and I don't feel like I'm either big or small at that weight, so I'm around 4 pounds over that currently.
  • decaturcindy
    decaturcindy Posts: 5 Member
    I'm 53 and just hit my goal weight after losing 60 pounds in 7 1/2 months. Now comes the hard part right? I'm so afraid of crashing and burning but I am just going to keep on keeping on with the tracking and walking! Being healthy after so many years feels way too good to go back to the way it was before.