I'm done with counting calories, Weight Watchers, etc - I'm going back to low carb

BlessedMom70
BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
edited September 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I know so many say weight loss is all about calories in/calories out, and that does make sense...but I have been trying to lose 15 lbs for around 10 years and I'm frustrated. I know that's not a lot of weight to lose, but I feel better at a certain weight (my healthy weight).

I have counted calories on and off since I was 14 (!), and I have tried Weight Watchers. Last summer, I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic and started watching the carbs. I brought my A1C down to a normal level and lost weight in the process. I stopped eating low carb and the weight returned (so obviously I am going to have to make it a permanent change/lifestyle). My husband lost 50 lbs eating low carb and has kept it off for 3 years (he still watches the carbs but not as 'fanatically').

I am really starting to think that low carb is the only thing that works for me. What is considered low carb (ex: 100 net carbs a day)? And I know that eating low carb naturally results in eating a higher fat diet. Can anyone recommend good websites, books, etc to help me in this journey to finally lose the extra weight once and for all?

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Considering that the vast majority of people regain at least some of the weight they lose, no one can tell you with certainty how to lose the weight once and for all.

Perhaps low carb is the best way of eating for you. Why did you stop eating that way in the first place, was it difficult for you? Maybe start out aiming for 50g less than you have been typically eating. After a couple of weeks if it's going well, try a little lower.

I believe some places define low carb as under 150g, which doesn't seem very low to me! Generally it's considered 100g or less I think. Don't get boxed into feeling line you have to follow some guidelines for a defined diet though. Play around with your macros until you find your sweet spot, regardless of what someone else would call it. There's no magic to specific carb ratios, it's just that for some people a particular ratio will have them satiated, will make their logging more on point, and may be making them happier, less stressed, more energetic or whatever other intangibles play a role. Good luck!

Any amounts of carbs under 45% is technically low carb:

https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/150-carbs-per-day-still-considered-low-carb-7754.html

I think it's considered moderate carb. The ada actually recommend about 40-45% carbs. I mean the ada can be full of kitten, but that's what their website says. Op... you do you baby. Best of luck.
  • BlessedMom70
    I don't know if this is helpful to you, but diabetics are told not to exceed 132 grams of carbs for the day. My husband and I watch both our carbs and our calories and we have both lost about 25 lbs. I do weigh our food.

That's great...congrats to you both! Is that 132 carbs a day total, or net?
  • BlessedMom70
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Considering that the vast majority of people regain at least some of the weight they lose, no one can tell you with certainty how to lose the weight once and for all.

Perhaps low carb is the best way of eating for you. Why did you stop eating that way in the first place, was it difficult for you? Maybe start out aiming for 50g less than you have been typically eating. After a couple of weeks if it's going well, try a little lower.

I believe some places define low carb as under 150g, which doesn't seem very low to me! Generally it's considered 100g or less I think. Don't get boxed into feeling line you have to follow some guidelines for a defined diet though. Play around with your macros until you find your sweet spot, regardless of what someone else would call it. There's no magic to specific carb ratios, it's just that for some people a particular ratio will have them satiated, will make their logging more on point, and may be making them happier, less stressed, more energetic or whatever other intangibles play a role. Good luck!

Any amounts of carbs under 45% is technically low carb:

https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/150-carbs-per-day-still-considered-low-carb-7754.html

I think it's considered moderate carb. The ada actually recommend about 40-45% carbs. I mean the ada can be full of kitten, but that's what their website says. Op... you do you baby. Best of luck.

Thank you!
  • BlessedMom70

Good idea about lowering the amount of carbs slowly/gradually. I quit because I am a carboholic. :-O Maybe I cut them too fast the last time and felt deprived as a result..
  • BlessedMom70
    Weight battles are never over. People regain on low carb, high carb, Keto.... where you counting calories STRICTLY when you stopped doing lower carb? I am not criticising you? I am just curious.

Yes, to the best of my knowledge. :) I don't weigh food...I feel that I am obsessive enough with keeping track of every calorie I consume on an app. I really hate that this has consumed a good part of my life. I was 14 when I started counting calories (back then, it was on paper...lol)...and I am 48 now! Ughhhhhhhhh

I felt MORE obsessive when I used measuring cups, because I never knew how tightly to pack them, and this made me anxious. Also, I deluded myself mightily on how much was 2 T of peanut butter. But 32 grams = 32 grams. Period.

Something to think about :)

Yes, it is. Thank you!
  • BlessedMom70
    RonyMack wrote: »
    keto Thanksgiving stuffing or low carb mashed potatoes? Ugh.

haha, good point. ;)

• BlessedMom70
    Weight battles are never over. People regain on low carb, high carb, Keto.... where you counting calories STRICTLY when you stopped doing lower carb? I am not criticising you? I am just curious.

Yes, to the best of my knowledge. :) I don't weigh food...I feel that I am obsessive enough with keeping track of every calorie I consume on an app. I really hate that this has consumed a good part of my life. I was 14 when I started counting calories (back then, it was on paper...lol)...and I am 48 now! Ughhhhhhhhh

I have to say, this is all how you frame it.
    consumed a good part of my life

Hm. It takes me a whole five minutes per day to use my digital food scale, log my food, weigh my body, and log my weight. I don't consider that consuming my life. I consider that the same amount of "hassle" as paying my bills or putting gas in the car, or balancing my checkbook or brushing my teeth. It's life-maintenance tool, not a career.

I lost weight easily until I got to within 15 pounds of my goal weight. At that point I really had to buckle down and be super-accurate. It still only took five minutes per day...except that I made almost all my meals at home which is a bit more time-consuming but it's also healthier, cheaper, and tastier. I make my food exactly how I like it. That's also just a life-maintenance tool.

Those last 15 are vanity pounds. My deficit was tiny - like 200 calories - and it was difficult to stick to at times. BUT I did lose the weight. Logged my food every single day, regardless of how much I ate. I'm still in maintenance 11 years in, and I still eat most of my meals from home and log my food daily.

That's great...congrats! And maybe I should have been more clear...I am tired of *thinking about food, calorie counting, etc*...I feel like the thought of food has consumed my life. :(