WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2018

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Just about to leave work and go home....May do laundry and.take a nap.going to see my friend later that I went to the big E with,she will have her daughter's dogs as she is working so will bring Alfie with me 8 dogs lol and my laptop she got her doctorate in nursing so she will know where to point me next.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,939 Member
    “Sinkhole” describes two of my “friends” to a tee. They never call unless they want something. If I call them because I need to know something, they start in with their lives and their problems, and I literally have to interrupt to ask what I need to know. If I just call with news I may not even get a chance to share it. I seem to attract these people as well.

I scored Defender, ISFJ, 74% introverted, 58% observant, 57% feeling, 72% judging, and 60% assertive. I probably need to take it again, because some of the descriptions didn’t really seem to fit me - like it said I nailed gift giving, something I always struggle with.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,505 Member
    Jjjjj
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    I retook the personality test so I could see what the A & T were all about.
    I tested as an INFP-A: "The Mediator".

Rye & Carol I really like that term "sinkhole". Sinkhole people are rather self-absorbed, often well-meaning, and utterly uninterested in you. I mean, sometimes with a real friend you do all the taking & talking...and then another time, it might be all about them...but when it's always all about them, it gets old, right?

Heather I was curious about the real estate chain system so I read about it, and found the terms gazumping & gazundering! Such colorful words. It's a very tenuous way to buy a house, the UK system. I am sorry you have to do it this way. Your dinner plans sound wonderful. We are having a variety of cold salads.

My partner is going to visit friends in Pennsylvania. She leaves Monday for a week. I am looking forward to having time to myself, & glad for her to have time with these friends alone. We do socialize with them as a couple, but her relationship with them predates me, so it's nice for her to get some time with them without me there.

Scientific American article about trypophobia:
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/are-you-afraid-of-holes/

Karen in Virginia
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Well, at least I know I don't have trypophobia, anyway. My own unease comes from very small holes, such as in soundproof booths, and it's a very visual thing, patterned small holes make my brain believe the surface is moving, usually in waves. I've dealt with it much less now that I'm older, as all I have to do is take my glasses off, and I don't get the visual illusion.

I do have a very mild phobia of walking on surfaces I can see through, like old railway or wooden bridges, or occasionally even street grates. Other than that, so far, the only thing that freaks me out are things that surprise me. As long as I know it's coming, I can deal with most things.

Been a wide-ranging conversation so far this month!

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,505 Member
    stats for the day:

Spin Class- 71min, 161mhr, 136ahr, 104aw, 82ar, 19.8mi= 749c
    Apple Watch- 752
    floor exercises- 9.36min, 1set 20ea, hamstring leg lifts, situps, reverse bicycles, on butt knees in-out, mountain climbers, all 4s elbow to knee,101ahr, 128mhr = 62c
    Apple Watch- 63c

total cal 811
  • lilnoramitchellandre
    lilnoramitchellandre Posts: 144 Member
    edited September 2018
    Do any of you have a granddaughter who has and plays with a "Barbie Doll"? I have a boxful of Barbie Doll clothes that my Mother made for my Barbie Doll. PM me and give me your address and I will gladly send them to you. The only thing I'd like is repay me for the postage.

Lenora
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,319 Member
    Well, at least I know I don't have trypophobia, anyway. My own unease comes from very small holes, such as in soundproof booths, and it's a very visual thing, patterned small holes make my brain believe the surface is moving, usually in waves. I've dealt with it much less now that I'm older, as all I have to do is take my glasses off, and I don't get the visual illusion.

I do have a very mild phobia of walking on surfaces I can see through, like old railway or wooden bridges, or occasionally even street grates. Other than that, so far, the only thing that freaks me out are things that surprise me. As long as I know it's coming, I can deal with most things.

Been a wide-ranging conversation so far this month!

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

Lisa - that's me as well.. don't like grates or walking on elevated paths. Or little holes, lol.

Do you get motion sickness? Sometimes when I'm driving on a hilly road, the scenery I'm whizzing past triggers something in my brain that makes me woozy. Same thing for some animated GIF's and strobe lights and that spiral whirling animation used to put people into hypnosis in old movies....if I don't avert my eyes and concentrate on looking straight ahead, or just close them, I feel like I'm losing myself in space, and it's been that way for years. :s Reminds me of "migraine tummy" I used to get when I had a lot of them.

Thought I was weird but one of my good younger friends who also has a lot of migraines experiences the same thing.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    Rori - Try this link.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b008mj7p/episodes/player?page=8

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx <3
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Welcome Bioko. I’m guessing you’re from Arizona? Anyway, let us know a little about yourself and what you want to be known as. Dropping 7 pounds is a big accomplishment!

NYKAREN
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Lisa - that's me as well.. don't like grates or walking on elevated paths. Or little holes, lol.

Do you get motion sickness? Sometimes when I'm driving on a hilly road, the scenery I'm whizzing past triggers something in my brain that makes me woozy. Same thing for some animated GIF's and strobe lights and that spiral whirling animation used to put people into hypnosis in old movies....if I don't avert my eyes and concentrate on looking straight ahead, or just close them, I feel like I'm losing myself in space, and it's been that way for years. :s Reminds me of "migraine tummy" I used to get when I had a lot of them.

Thought I was weird but one of my good younger friends who also has a lot of migraines experiences the same thing.

Lanette
    SW WA State

Lanette: Weird you would mention that - I got motion sickness as a child when I tried to read anything in a moving vehicle, even a map. As an adult, seldom if ever, and oddly enough, can read on a tablet or phone just fine. However, when I treated Corey to his first ever train ride for his birthday a few months back, I was REALLY struggling with the nearness of the tree trunks that were flashing by very rhythmically next to the track. Something about how close they were to the train in the mountain forests was making me nauseated and headachy. Kinda grim on the way out, and nearly debilitating on the way back. Never had that issue in England, where I was on trains all the time, but most of the scenery is more open there. It was like a visual boomerang, and could only fix it, as you said, with eyes closed or focusing intently on something within the train.

On the less physical side of things, but along the same lines, trying not to dread the week to come, and just keep my eyes focused on today and tomorrow morning. Let my hubby pick my next hair color, so that's got 45 minutes before I rinse. He chose a sort of caramel blonde. I don't look at myself much, so I'm just more interested in looking like all my hairs are supposed to be on the same head than what actual color it is. Next time, I might go with red.

Lisa in AR
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,042 Member
    :heart:
  • Ares1234
    Ares1234 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi, I'm new to this board. I turn 50 in October and look forward to the next half of my life.

I got off-track in August and early September, I quit working out and exercising, plus lapsed on logging my meals. Luckily, I have become a good judge on serving sizes and portions and didn't go over on calories too much. The end result is I put about 5 pounds back on. I am logging meals again but have not gotten back to working out or making my Fitbit goals. I need renewed motivation and action.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,800 Member
    I took the test and got these results: Personality type: “The Mediator” (INFP-T)
    Individual traits: Introverted – 75%, Intuitive – 58%, Feeling – 64%, Prospecting – 54%, Turbulent – 85%
    Role: Diplomat
    Strategy: Constant Improvement

Sounds like me!

RV Rita
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited September 2018
    Rita what a lovely sunset!

Rori I should look into Instagram for Kidd Kirby (& friends) - I never thought if it. Mars’ bandana is of planets, yes? :). I will make sure to have Kidd look for Mars if he likes Instagram - lol.

Odd that the ‘sinkhole’ moniker struck a chord. I find them more troublesome than a drama queen type because with the drama queens at least you see them coming a mile away.

Motion sickness: I never have any problem, and thrive on boats when everyone else is green. I have recently begun to suspect since I am blind in one eye and have never had 3 dimensional vision that my sense of balance is neurologically different from those who see normally.

My husband and I have been working long and hard on a project together lately and success depends upon me being able to come up with ways to understand things from a 2 dimensional perspective that people with normal vision don’t even have to think about consciously to understand. As we chart new waters in communication we are starting to suspect I simply ‘think differently’ and that some of that is in my wiring. Success is so uncertain at this stage, and we both would reap such a major quality of life upgrade that we are working through everything extra carefully and trying to catalog anything that I do differently that could help us near goal. And one difference we did note was my near immunity to both motion sickness and fear of heights - both of which plague him.

Rye
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    Rye – when it comes to haircuts, $25 to me is high. I’m the eternal cheapskate – on some things. I go to the local community college’s cosmetology school. Yes, it’s the students cutting your hair. But then again, it’s only $5. For that price, if I’m not entirely happy, “hair grows”. Every once in a while I go to the hairdresser to get my hair cut and colored. Normally, I just use the root touchup. I don’t want to pay that amount every few months so I’ll pay the few dollars for the root touchup. Am I cheap or am I cheap?

Biokarizona – welcome!

Ares – welcome. Get back to measuring and logging and you’ll lose more than you can imagine. The ladies on here are wonderful.

Michele in NC
    Where it just started raining a bit