Keto is dangerous!

2»

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Hmm. Aren't most statins and BP meds off-patent these days?

Seems like the sweeter cruises would come from cranking out scripts for just-approved meds & devices for diabetes and its progeny (kidney failure, CVD, toenail fungus, terminal flatulence, etc.).
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Hmm. Aren't most statins and BP meds off-patent these days?

Seems like the sweeter cruises would come from cranking out scripts for just-approved meds & devices for diabetes and its progeny (kidney failure, CVD, toenail fungus, terminal flatulence, etc.).

It's still a $30 billion business, so lots of reasons to keep pushing the brand names.
  • nhoffman7788
    nhoffman7788 Posts: 9 Member
    I think the only thing that wasn't mentioned is the death of Dr. Atkins played into the fears for a lot of people, because he died of congestive heart failure. The Atkins diet was a big deal around the year 2000, but as soon as he died people started criticizing low carb diets.
  • nhoffman7788
    nhoffman7788 Posts: 9 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    I think the only thing that wasn't mentioned is the death of Dr. Atkins played into the fears for a lot of people, because he died of congestive heart failure. The Atkins diet was a big deal around the year 2000, but as soon as he died people started criticizing low carb diets.

The congestive heart failure angle is conjecture - there was no autopsy performed on Dr Atkins after his death so beyond the damage caused by the fall that put him into a coma and ultimately killed him anything else is pure speculation.

I mistake in stating he died from it, but at the time, the heart issues are what people ran with to criticize the diet, and people thought he died of.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member

The congestive heart failure angle is conjecture - there was no autopsy performed on Dr Atkins after his death so beyond the damage caused by the fall that put him into a coma and ultimately killed him anything else is pure speculation.

I mistake in stating he died from it, but at the time, the heart issues are what people ran with to criticize the diet, and people thought he died of.

I saw those also - they were mainly the vegan/vegetarian crowd who hated Atkins and everything that he stood for.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member

I saw those also - they were mainly the vegan/vegetarian crowd who hated Atkins and everything that he stood for.

*The* vegan/vegetarian crowd? There are plenty of Vs who avoid carbs...

Seems to me the processed food manufacturers, vendors, etc., had/have the most to lose from people going LC.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    If we are a control group- then it seems most of us are ok after doing keto for some time.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    mg07030 wrote: »
    If we are a control group- then it seems most of us are ok after doing keto for some time.

This probably depends on how you define "OK." I do think that by pretty much any metric we are all in better health after keto than before.