Bulk or nah?

I’ve already posted this question with a photo of me when I just woke up and people told me to bulk but I’m really not sure. Here are my photos as of tonight. I’m 140lbs and 5’658b58tqhtkg2.jpeg
dhi2314n4xby.jpeg
jachb16g2g28.jpeg
rem3zajdtuqy.jpeg

Replies

• OnalimOjag
    OnalimOjag Posts: 79 Member
    Kind of bloated as I’ve had eaten a lot today and ate an ice cream a few hours ago.
  • OnalimOjag
    This is 2f7btiklkjxr.png
    me when I’m not bloated and have just woken up
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited September 2018
    I mean I would if I wasn’t still fat, only for vanity reasons though. I feel like it it transforms you like day and night. It’s up to you.
  • OnalimOjag
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    I mean I would if I wasn’t still fat, only for vanity reasons though. I feel like it it transforms you like day and night. It’s up to you.

I would really love to bulk and gain some muscle but I know that if you have too much fat, you won’t really gain a lot of muscle when you bulk so that’s where I’m at right now cause I don’t mind gaining some fat as long as I am gaining muscle as well. I just hate how bloated I get when I’m eating a lot especially with high carbs.
  • @psuLemon @AnvilHead any advice for OP?
  • ManBehindTheMask
    ManBehindTheMask Posts: 615 Member
    Untitled.png.f31dd891805eabc403d1fb85a7b4cae5.png
  • OnalimOjag
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I would just do a body recomp even if the progress is slower. Body recomp means eating at maintenance right?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    OnalimOjag wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I would just do a body recomp even if the progress is slower. Body recomp means eating at maintenance right?

At or around maintenance calories, it doesn't have to be precisely maintenance calories.
  • AnvilHead wrote: »
    @psuLemon @AnvilHead any advice for OP?

Yeah - read the responses he got to his last thread on the exact same topic, which he posted two weeks ago. Nothing has changed between then and now except that he's apparently awake now.

sorry I didnt read that post and didnt know it existed.
  • Grambo54
    Grambo54 Posts: 75 Member
    Ok, we are talking different definitions. Theres no universal definition of "bulking" A bulk can be 1 pound a year if you want. It sounds like you are talking slow gainers? I have no problem with a "slow bulk" to a few percent over what the body fat % is that genetics have decided for you (what you know as normal). The body naturally adjusts that up or down anyway depending on environment.

Its really hard to calculate BFP anyway. Most people wouldnt have a clue. Mirror is the best guide. Calipers a good and cheap way too.

Theres no hard evidence that "bulking" gives you any advantage, so why do it.

My comment to the OP was based on his photos. I think we could help him better by seeing what hes doing in and out of the gym.

Hes probably at a % fat that is normal for him and he dosnt need any more fat on him, from the pics. So I believe it would be counterproductive for him.

The real muscle building gets done in the gym (partnered with recuperation). Get the program/split, or not/intensity/days on and off right, and bulking becomes the least of your concern. And recuperation, your energy system, and exercise stress. A whole new important subject, we could probably disagree on :smile:

When you bulk (or cut), you cause an artificial change to your normal hormone levels. You have a natural body "set point" (% fat, hormone levels etc) determined by genetics. Dont mess with it too much. If you get into this bulk cut bulk cut etc scenario you are messing with your own hormones and energy system.

I certainly believe in adding more calories than you expend to gain muscle. No other way. But how much and which calories is not a cookie cutter recipe for all. Everyone needs a different amount of cals and type of cals.

The wrinkled pic? All I can say is that if I wanted a fake pic, I would have chosen something way better than that! :smile: Yes me at 29 yo, after 3 years consistent training. I reached most of my potential, not all. I needed to take juice to win from there, and wouldnt do it. Cheating in my book! Its true, gains slow when you get to that point, but what you do get, is a fuller musculature and more detail, from the extra exercises you do at that level, Cheers
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    edited September 2018
    Hooboy! I was with you till set point. Nope. Just nope. Somatypes and now set point? You really need to find better reading material. Like studies maybe?