WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2018

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    suite_lady: Welcome to a great group. Join the conversation and post often. :flowerforyou:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,310 Member
    Did 5 minutes on the hula hoop, held my plank for 3 minutes, then took the extremepump class. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Cardio Metabolic Interval DVD. I believe this one is on the rebounder.

Allie – How good that you don’t hold any feelings against her.

KJ – I think that Zwift is cool too, especially the fact that others that who you are riding with will show up on your screen. Just to think that someone from Japan can be on your screen….technology!!!

Lisa – I hear ya about falling asleep in meetings. If I’m just sitting (say watching TV), I can easily nod off. I just get too comfortable. I do find that if I can be doing something I am less likely to fall asleep. Can you walk around in the meeting? Go to the bathroom? Just some suggestions. Doodle on a piece of paper (pretend you’re taking notes), play a game with a water glass? Believe it or not, I tend to think best when I’m laying in the pool. Maybe it’s because I’m relaxed. I’m pretty good at touch typing, but I’m slow on texting, mainly because there isn’t the immediate feedback when you hit a letter on the phone like there is when you hit a letter on a keyboard. Also, the area for the letters on a phone is smaller.

Sharon – I was born and raised in NJ! We moved to PA and now I’m another transplanted Yankee. Welcome to the group

Betty – the sun is out here! I’m sure in no time it’ll be up your way

Heather – you are a good friend, I’m very proud to call you my friend.

Evelyn – Personally, I’d rather scoop a litterbox than have to walk a dog in the rain/snow/sleet. When Jess would dog sit, I loved taking the dog for a walk – but only on nice days. When it was raining or whatever, she knew that she would have to walk the dog, that I wasn’t

I don’t know how many times I’ve had to go and check that I locked a door or turned something off because I do it without thinking. One time when I wasn’t driving we were at a food store and I returned the cart to the corral for it, and started to walk towards the car. Vince said to me “did you forget that I was driving?” It was just that I was so used to going to the driver’s side that I automatically did it.

Tracey – happy belated birthday. What a nice surprise you had!

Victoria – welcome! You know, I used to be like you, good all week and blow it on the weekend. Honestly, that went on for a few years. Then it got to the point where I was actually looking forward to Sunday when I could go back to decent eating. Eventually, I gave it up on Sunday, then Saturday. Yes, this was over a period of years. But baby steps. You can do it. Choose healthy foods on the weekend. You may initially choose a lot of the healthy foods, but eventually you won’t want as much. Can you just drink club soda, maybe with a bit of cranberry juice added? You may have to bring your own club soda with you.

Suit_lady – welcome! Isn’t it really eye opening when you start to log your food?

SuebDew – I’m so sorry to hear about your husband’s brother. I hope he hasn’t gone into sepsis. Good luck at the eye MD’s.

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,432 Member
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 8.21min, 11.3amph, 145mhr, 1.5mi= 94c
    apple watch- 61c
    SKI MACHINE- 26min, lvl5-15incl to 10-25, 125ahr, 150mhr, 1.32mi= 227c
    apple watch- 228c
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.07min, 14.6amph, 135mhr, 1.4mi= 60c
    apple watch- 42c
    walk sta 2 wk- 7.46min, 3.7ap, 108mhr, .5mi= 41c
    apple watch-46c
    jog wk 2 sumn sta- est, 10min .105mhr, 4mi= 40c
    apple watch- 43c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 20.23min, 7.8amph, 147mhr, 2.6mi= 205c
    apple watch- 147c

total 667
  • lilnoramitchellandre
    lilnoramitchellandre Posts: 144 Member
    edited September 2018
    MD 'sleep apnea's' office called again today; hospital has changed his schedule around and he will be working the rest of the month in the NICU - he is such a 'big' man it is difficult to picture him picking up a preemie with his 'bear-sized' paws/hands. So the list continues of 'sleep patterns'. I've got a 17-page list since I started it in mid-May.

Allie - You're probably right, sooner or later Elena will see what it is like to be with Tom 24/7. A friend once put it to me this way, 'once a cheater, always a Cheeter' (like "Tiger" Woods. How do you trust someone who you have had an 'affair' with and 'expect' them to change? It's good that you and Tom can be 'friends' or 'friendly'; but, still hold his feet to the fire if he slacks off about any 'settlement' y'all agreed to.

So many 'new' ladies - welcome to all. Prayers for all that were in the way of Florence. I checked on my 'cancer survivor' who lives in Chesterfield, VA where a tornado touched down. I'm sure they've lost power. Louis saw a former co-worker and friend while at lunch or running an errand. Said that his wife, friend of mine, has Alzheimer's and can't remember much of anything. Has a lady who stays with her during the day. Said she had not driven in a year. Louis said that he well understood that. It makes me so sad because she is someone that I had been very close to years ago.

Sue - Sorry about your BnL. Cancer is such a battle for most. I had a colonoscopy x2 this summer. UGH! Louis had his; and the prep he took, same as mine worked very differently for him. Now to nag his @$$ about making another appointment with Dermatologist to look at the bad mole on his back. How I wish I could get him to 'stop chewing tobacco'.

Sinkhole friends ... I think most of us have had one or two of them in our lifetimes. Getting to the point that you are able to figure it out is one step towards sanity. When I worked I was a real 'people person'; but, over the past 20+ years I think I have become more of an 'introvert'.

I love living out in the country and definitely do not 'miss living in a neighborhood'. It's so peaceful out here. We have a small doe that has almost become 'tame'; she isn't spooked when Trey and Louis (especially Trey) is up by the pole barn. He'll talk to her and she won't even run off. I guess she has eaten most of the acorns by now. She and several other deer that come out at night.

Got to talk to my BnL to figure out how to 'delete' a series without having to binge watch it, if I recorded the series. Got to figure out when to start recording for the 'new' season. Will get an email notification for when the series "Yellowstone" comes back on.

I have wanted to delete some of the ones I have recorded; but, if I do ... it will 'delete' all of the series. Trying to figure out 'how' to get to the list of each show (on DirecTV). There are so many 'new' shows or 'return' shows that I want to record. I can 'binge' watch them during the day.

Hope all are having a good day and week, even with the remains of Florence still in the air. For some, it is just beginning. Prayers for all!

Lenora
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,120 Member
    Close call, Karen!
    My Portsmouth friend's son and granddaughter live in Hong Kong. She has just sent videos of their house, thankfully fine, and the office, completely flooded and destroyed by waves surging through the windows. Live footage.
    Her granddaughter just stayed indoors and was fine.
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    We had an eventful afternoon/evening at work. Numerous tornadoes in the area. Directly across the street, a tornado blew out several glass storefronts. Several of us had gone outside to look at the sky, when we spotted the tornado gathering and took cover. It roared right past us very quickly. When it was over, a roof had blown off an Autozone, and an antiques store had been destroyed just 2 blocks away, as well as the glass being blown out of the stores across the street. Also, a flooring store got really hit hard and a man died there. :'( We were spared.
    Some schoolchildren were still sheltering at school as late as 9 p.m. this evening! It's been quite a night!

Karen in Virginia

:open_mouth:

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Karen scary storms, glad you're okay.

Barbie one step at a time, the way to go. Sending healing thoughts your way.

Working on my attitude today, no whining, embracing the grind.

NYKAREN
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,637 Member
    Morning ladies~
    we are getting Florence's rain today, nothing like the devastation where my best friend and her husband live in Willmington. the photo's are just heart wrenching.. people have lost everything including loss of life...they are fine and have there sweet old dog Maggie with them at Bobs cousins 4 hrs away... but wow there are no roads that are passable to get anywhere near where they live...
    going to go walk Alfie before the downpours... and contact the drs office about bloodwork... had some tea and a banana for breakfast and made a nice bagged salad for lunch with an apple... I know now or have a feeling why Tom and I got divorced... because when I get upset I eat.. and then get fat.. he doesn't and most men dont like large women, alot of the divorce was his fault but I will take blame for letting myself go..
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,820 Member
    Good morning all! Happy Tuesday! I don't know if I mentioned earlier, I am fighting the beginnings of a summer cold, or maybe fall allergies. Just have that crazy scratchy throat and a bit of drainage down the back of my throat at night. I have upped my water intake, and am doing salt water gargles. Hope this keeps it at bay. Too early in the season to be sick! Blah!
    I had a visitor this morning while I was making my coffee. I had my coffee poured and went to the fridge to grab the cream. When I got back to my cup, there was a spider sitting on the rim of the coffee cup! LOL! I couldn't help it and laughed out loud and started talking to it. "Well, hello! So nice of you to join me! I wish you could stay longer and visit, but this relationship is just not going to work out." I then lifted him off and put him outside. My husband poked his head up the stairs and asked, "Who are you talking to?" and I told him a spider. He said "That's why they keep showing up! You give them coffee and are too nice to them!" lol
    Heather-I wouldn't wish " the sister cancer" experiences on any friend, but I can only imagine what it means to your friend to have you, a survivor/friend, beside her during these times! Love and hugs to you both!
    Karen VA- Yikes! So glad you noticed the weather change and were able to take cover! Stay safe! <3<3
    Machka- Go girl! It is so nice to see your exercise posts becoming more regular! I am sure it feels good to you as well!
    BArbie- Still sending those healing thoughts to you for your back! Praying your doc can put a name to this and put you on the road to recovery!
    Subdew- Sorry to hear of your brother in law! Safe travels as you hit the road to be with him. Fingers crossed your visit with the eye doc goes well! Hugs to you my friend! <3
    Michele- I have to say, your ability to work out every morning to these videos is amazing and inspiring! I wish I had that drive. I can walk (or run in better days) by myself, but I can't seem to find the motivation to do strength or resistance type exercise by myself. A three minute plank! That is great!

Welcome new girls!- So great to have some new voices to join our choir of 50+ "life warriors"! A lot of great advice, strong shoulders to lean on, and listening ears to vent to! Keep moving! Every step and movement, no matter how small, is making a change. Also, log, log, log every bite! I can't stress enough the importance of logging your food/drink. It will really make you aware of your nutrition choices and help you make better choices! Sending prayers, thoughts, good vibes of strength to all of you! B)

Well, I better get off my butt and get some breakfast in me before the kiddos arrive! Have a great day, everyone! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Sue - I am so sorry to hear about your BIL. Good luck at the Dr. I'll keep your family in my prayers.

Barbie - I hope you get some good news at the Dr.!

Karen - I'm glad you were able to take cover! I'm very sorry a man lost his life in the store. Wasn't it awesome seeing the storm forming? I guess growing up in tornado alley, I have a weird fascination with watching storms form.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • mnhtnbb
    mnhtnbb Posts: 11 Member
    Good morning, ladies.

Blue sky and sunshine showed up here in Raleigh yesterday afternoon. (You were right, Michele, it was on its way.) But I also saw videos of tremendous flooding in Chapel Hill yesterday--where I lived for 17 years and where we are trying to sell the house--from non-stop rain Sunday through Monday. Unbelievable. One road had become a fast flowing river and a low lying shopping center that has had past problems with flooding was several feet underwater. Chapel Hill only got about 5" of rain from Florence Friday-Sunday, but then was inundated Sunday to Monday and that's what caused the flooding. Yes, Allie, Wilmington is a mess. The entire 4 lanes of I-40 into town are completely flooded. Photos of it look like a river! And from what I understand, Wilmington has become an island, with all access roads flooded. There were plans to airlift supplies in yesterday.

Karen in VA, I lived in Tornado Alley for 12 years (Missouri and Nebraska) but it took moving to North Carolina to actually experience a tornado going overhead. Scary. Very glad you are ok. It really does sound like a freight train coming through!

Sue,safe travels to visit your BIL. That is devastating news about his diagnosis. Hope you get good news at your appointment tomorrow.

Lisa, glad your daughter and family are ok. Sounds like they have the drill of being without power figured out.

Michele
    , I grew up in New Jersey, too. North Jersey--Chatham--not far from Princeton. Did you grow up in South Jersey? My brother and his family lived outside of Philly in Berwyn for a number of years--around the turn of the century-- when he was working for GlaxoSmithKline. I keep wondering how to refer to those years 2000-2005 and I guess we can call it turn of the century, can't we? For several years running I would take one of my boys to go visit them (they had 5 kids) at Christmas, so did a little exploring of the area where they lived, which was very nice. It reminded me of the area where we'd grown up.

Hope everyone has a good day. I sure do enjoy having the sun out!

Betty in Raleigh