1500 Calories for males

I'm pretty sure this is in the incorrect area for this question, I apologize ahead of time.

MFP will never automatically let me go below 1500 recommended calories per day. I understand that for various reasons.

My question, how can I find out what my true calories should be daily to lose 2lbs per week? Even though all the warnings, etc...

5'9, male, 216 lbs now, I think my BMI is 32, sedentary lifestyle (office), 46 years old.

THANKS

Replies

• richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Pick a calorie goal based on your best guess from calculators. Log as accurate as you can. Hit that number consistently. Revise based on the results you are seeing over time.
  • RonyMack
    RonyMack Posts: 131 Member
    edited September 2018
    Not sure what you mean by "true calories". MFP is advising 1500 to lose 2x weekly, based on your stats. Why are you wanting to go below that and make things harder?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    At your height and weight, I would honestly expect 2 pounds per week at 1500-1600 calories.

Agreed.

If you log your calories correctly, I would expect the same.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    I'm similar and have been at 1500 calories for awhile. Been losing 1.5 lbs per week. I have virtually no hunger. I would go with the 1500 calories. I eat back most of my exercise.
  • stewarm01
    stewarm01 Posts: 331 Member
    Orion, it's minus 1000.