Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is anything really good for you anymore?

Replies

• Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    I think the people who've eaten tilapia for countless generations are the best people to speak to about tilapia. It's a fine fish, very popular where I live. Your OH's coworkers are probably paying too much attention to the latest foodshaming fad. Next week it'll be "don't eat any red squirrels! Red meat is bad!" 🙄
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    VUA21 wrote: »
    I think the people who've eaten tilapia for countless generations are the best people to speak to about tilapia. It's a fine fish, very popular where I live. Your OH's coworkers are probably paying too much attention to the latest foodshaming fad. Next week it'll be "don't eat any red squirrels! Red meat is bad!" 🙄

Nothing wrong with red meat; it's green meat that should be avoided.

Even in a house, with a mouse?

That was eggs. ;)
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    The ham was also green, though.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

That was eggs. ;)
    I always found it ambiguous. As a kid, I spent hours wondering about this.

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member

Here's the quick summary on tilapia:
    - It's a very lean source of protein = good
    - It (especially if cheap) often comes from countries with pretty lax environmental regulations and food regulations/regulation enforcement (so possibly questionable whether or not it was grown in industrial waste water). = bad
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

There really isn't much meat on a red squirrel (the North American ones). Gray squirrels and even fox squirrels are better for eating. (Really.) See, I can squirrel-shame with the best of them!

Red squirrels are unprotected in New York State. Gray, black, Fox squirrels have seasons and bag limits here. (I believe they all have seasons, limits in PA though).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    ritzvin wrote: »

There really isn't much meat on a red squirrel (the North American ones). Gray squirrels and even fox squirrels are better for eating. (Really.) See, I can squirrel-shame with the best of them!

Red squirrels are unprotected in New York State. Gray, black, Fox squirrels have seasons and bag limits here. (I believe they all have seasons, limits in PA though).

I guess you could make red squirrel soup or something? In my youth, people pretty much dredged them (grays, fox) in flour and pan fried them. (Yes, I ate them - not vegetarian until age 18.). One of my college friends made squirrel cacciatore, which I still find oddly amusing.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member

My grandfather hunted squirrels. Not sure what type, but my impression is that they only ate the brains. Wasn't enough meat on the bones to be worth skinning, apparently. (And these were folks who ate small frogs and young rabbits, which aren't exactly heavy with meat.) (In more recent years, I've heard of people who eat squirrel brains getting the squirrel version of "mad cow" disease.)

I don't know if this counts as squirrel-shaming.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    The real warning for ANY foreign farmed fish is that their feeding practices are questionable. Will it kill you - I doubt it.
    Every year there is some food that is being pumped as a "miracle" food and then a couple of years go by and that food is discredited that it is not as good for you as they thought. One year it will save you and the next year it will kill you.
    I think the trick is to eat a variety of foods. A lot of people like tilapea for the reason you do.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member

That was eggs. ;)

Me too - glad I'm not alone!

Sad side note - I had Green Eggs and Ham" and "Goodnight Moon" memorized for years when my children were little, taking up brain space that could have been put to a lot better use.

On topic - For me, "eat a good variety of food, and not ridiculous amounts of any one thing, and you'll be fine" is the way to go. I honestly don't believe there's anything in our modern food choices that is so toxic it should be avoided in any quantity (except trans-fat, of course). I also don't believe there's much that couldn't eventually cause damage if ingested in stupid quantities on a regular basis. I pretty much ignore the daily blast of "Eat these 5 foods for a long life!" and "Never eat these 5 foods if you want to avoid a heart attack!", unless a credible source comes out with a RED ALERT that something in our food supply's been contaminated with salmonella.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    The problem it stinks up the place when fish is reheated in the microwave. Save the leftover fish for meals at home, but don't save it too long :)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2018

That was eggs. ;)
    It's green as well.

https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2012/04/seuss.html
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Fun with grammar :) You get an award for first cite in the debate forum to support a Dr. Seuss opinion!
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10696648/awards-rant/p1

If you'd love reading more along the same lines, borrow this book - Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss. Amusing and informative.