Just started...feeling sick...normal?

I just started my weight lose journey, and I'm finding myself feeling sick. Basically, once a day I feel like I ate at taco bell. I'm in the bathroom for a bit and then I'm ok. My diet is basically the same except I'm eating less (still within my calorie range, about 1500 a day), I'm eating more fruit and hardly any junk food. Is it normal to have these problems, and if so how long should I expect it to last?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    It doesn't sound normal. When you change something, other things change too. Can you open your food diary?

It could be that you're sick. But that shouldn't be felt once a day like clockwork. Could you be pregnant?
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I just started my weight lose journey, and I'm finding myself feeling sick. Basically, once a day I feel like I ate at taco bell. I'm in the bathroom for a bit and then I'm ok. My diet is basically the same except I'm eating less (still within my calorie range, about 1500 a day), I'm eating more fruit and hardly any junk food. Is it normal to have these problems, and if so how long should I expect it to last?

The extra fruit most likely means extra fiber which may result in bathroom issues until your body adapts in a week or so.

Oooo this is a good point. If you're going from almost no fibre to loads of fibre, bathroom issues is very much a common issue.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,974 Member
    Are you possibly suddenly getting much more fiber than previously? That can lead to diarrhea or constipation for some people. It's usually better to increase fiber gradually, if you have a sensitive digestive system.

Any major change in eating habits (not just calorie level, usually, but different food choices) can require a couple of weeks adaptation period, some of which is your gut microbiome adapting. (For some people, it can help to include some probiotic foods like live-culture yogurt or kefir, kombucha, miso, raw/unpasteurized sauerkraut or kim chi, etc.)

Food sensitivity is also a possibility.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    You're eating more fruit than you're used to.
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    More fruit means more fiber and if you are drinking more water things are moving better which means....more trips to the bathroom.

However I notice when I start a workout program I always get sick within the first week.
  • Renewed2008
    Renewed2008 Posts: 11 Member
    Thanks everyone! I never even thought about the increase in fiber. That would definitely explain it.