WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2018

Replies

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited September 2018
    Hmm seems to be a late night or mid of the night awakening kinda thing today. Awoke in the middle of the night to use the restroom (normal and routine) but husband heard me and got up to talk about a problem that had been keeping him from sleeping. (very unusual).

We sorted that problem as best we could, unsatisfactorily but the best we can do given constraints of money, time and other people’s involvement- but now he is sleeping peacefully and I can’t get back to sleep. :(

Sigh. Gonna be a long day tomorrow as I’ll be on the go from 7:00am to 7:00 pm :(
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Rye I feel your pain :s:(<3<3 Get some rest later, hope you can catch a nap this weekend!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,126 Member
    Viv - Yes, we are trying to sell our house in the countryside in Hampshire and move closer to the grandchildren in Hove. (By the sea, for those who don't know Brighton and Hove) The saga has been going on for exactly 2 years on Sunday. Basically endless problems with the chain. We are on our third house to buy. Two fell through. Currently the buyer's buyer dropped out at the last minute and the buyer is trying to refinance. If this goes belly up we may just have to give up. Can't make the slightest plan for the future as we are just waiting on a knife edge. Our sellers won't wait for ever.
    Difficult to believe the process has been so complicated and protracted. We are missing the three grandchildren sooooooo much.

Luckily we are seeing them this Sunday for Edie's 5th birthday. :D Just for a few hours, but amazing! She has just started school.
    Then we are scheduled to babysit for two separate days in October, a week apart. They thought we would definitely be down there by then. :o We still want to do it, even though it involves a lot of travelling. <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

How is your life now without your husband? I know he died unexpectedly quickly and it was a big shock to you. <3 Is life ok now?

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    Morning ladies~
    up and showered have the dishwasher going and having my cup of tea... working today will Claudia is on vacation....which gives me a few extra hours in the paycheck..
    went for my mammogram yesterday lol they love my boobs cause they are big fat and squishy and easy to squish... they do digital now and it isn't as bad as it was ...so will walk the boys early then do to work...
    left a note for dear Lil that she doesn't overdue on treats and carrots as poor Alfie is pooping to much (TMI)
    going to look into Panera Bread to cater the after burial thing for dad,we used to love going just him and I... so a nod to us..
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    klanders30 wrote: »
    Machka appreciate your reflections on stepping out of your comfort zone. I often wonder how much strength and courage I would have available to handle extreme and unexpected challenges.

You just don't know until you're there.

And then I find myself wondering how in the world I'm doing it. I surprise myself.

DH has cut out soda and fast food from his daily life, (can't believe it :o ) Ever since we got back from So. Africa he has cut out the junk food and has been dropping weight quite easily. We are going to the gym together about 2x per week and I have to say, I like the company! I don't know what motivated him, but I sure am happy to have a partner in this.

That's great!!

Glad that it's Friday

Yeah, it's Friday evening for me. SO glad it is the weekend. It has been a hectic and stressful week.

Machka in Oz

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Pip I gave you the "Woo". >:)>:)>:)

Is that good or bad

LOL!!! That's for you to decide.

Karen in Virginia
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,820 Member
    PIP! I'll take that boot! Not sure what happened last night, but I sat on the couch after cleaning up the toys and felt too tired to make dinner so I ate...of all things...a half a bag of marshmallows! It may have been a phone call I had with my daughter that set me off. She means well, but she has a way of "handling" my problems; which entails her going over every issue/detail/ and possible solution and the outcomes of each possible solution...etc. (overthinking). She is her father in feminine form and my brain doesn't process things that way. The phone call ended with me saying, "STOP. JUST STOP." She apologized but I think the anxiety had already bore it's way into my brain. I mindlessly ate the marshmallows and went to bed. I slept well, though.
    GIMME DA BOOOOOOT!
    Viv - Ugh! Trying to organize/clean out sheds/closets/rooms while the person is there is nearly impossible! Tried it with my hubby (his things) and out of about twenty bins of things, he only parted with about two bins worth of items. Next time I tackle the job when he is not around. >:)
    Lanette- The kids and I take about a four mile walk each day. Some days only about three miles if time is tight. But they are getting to be such great walkers, it is only taking us an hour to go four miles! For those teeny, tiny legs that is really moving! (Their legs look like Marvin the Martian's legs; remember that cartoon character?)
    Lisa- Good on you; getting the grant proposal out of the way while you wait at the airport! o:) As far as the cooties go, Clorox Wipes! I take them everywhere. Not because I am a germaphobe (I work with kids, so that is not the issue) but because I like to be prepared. There is some sort of cosmic Murphy's Law that translates like "if there is a seat left for Kelly, it must have some sort of schmutz all over it!"

The wind is really blowing here! It rained quite a bit yesterday and again last night/this morning. It has stopped raining for a bit, but the wind is up and I can hear the roar of the waves on the lake, so I imagine they are quite big! Well, if we end up losing power, today would be an okay day to do so as it is the day before grocery shopping and my fridge is pretty empty.

Well, better get busy. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited September 2018
    KJ - don't know if your on Facebook. But did you see that British couple do the baby shark song? Oh Lord hysterical.....look it up....the wife makes the poor husband dance outside the car....
    I'm enjoying quiet time with Alfie until I have to go take care of pups and FIL..today would have been our 21st anniversary...my my how times have changed.

I just watched this, Allie, and I'll be chuckling all day. He's such a good sport.

Heather I have 'sympathy anger' for your real estate situation.

NYKaren Your husband has made some great choices concerning his health & lifestyle! I am glad for you!

Kelly Can't believe you & your young charges get a 4 mile walk in every day. That is truly impressive.

Lisa So glad you are home! How is your leg?

Katla If you do end up having to pay sales taxes to CO, is it money that would have come out of your daughter's pocket if it had been handled at the time of settlement? Because if it was, maybe that will take a little bit of the sting out of it. I know it would for me. And will it be a tax deduction so you can recoup part of it?

Karen in Virginia
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    There was more walking and running in August ... hoping for a bit more cycling in September!!

Sep-15 … 306.7 km (190.6 miles) = 35 hour 2 min
    Sep-16 … 371.3 km (230.7 miles) = 32 hours 20 min
    Sep-17 … 455.5 km (283 miles) = 41 hours 25 min

Saturday, 1 September 2018 ... 21 km cycling inside with Zwift
    Sunday, 2 September 2018 ... 2 km running + 12 km cycling outside!!
    Monday, 3 September 2018 ... 1.4 km walking + 14 flights of 20 stairs
    Tuesday, 4 September 2018 ... 1.9 km walking + 5.3 km running + 4 flights of 20 stairs
    Wednesday, 5 September 2018 ... 1.8 km walking + 10.18 km cycling inside with Zwift + 10 flights of 20 stairs
    Thursday, 6 September 2018 ... 7 km walking + 8 flights of 20 stairs
    Friday, 7 September 2018 ... 2 km walking + 1.1 km running + 8 km cycling outside!!

Saturday, 8 September 2018 ... 1.5 km walking + 15.12 km cycling outside
    Sunday, 9 September 2018 ... 1.5 km walking + 10.63 km cycling outside
    Monday, 10 September 2018 ... 3.7 km walking
    Tuesday, 11 September 2018 ... 1.8 km walking + 6 km running + 4 flights of 20 stairs
    Wednesday, 12 September 2018 ... 4.5 km walking + 6 flights of 20 stairs
    Thursday, 13 September 2018 ... 1.8 km walking + 10 flights of 20 stairs
    Friday, 14 September 2018 ... 1.8 km walking + 4 flights of 20 stairs

Saturday, 15 September 2018 ... 21 km cycling inside with Zwift
    Sunday, 16 September 2018 ... 0.70 km walk + 3 km run
    Monday, 17 September 2018 ... 3.7 km walk
    Tuesday, 18 September 2018 ... 1.9 km walk + 5.2 km run + 4 flights of 20 stairs
    Wednesday, 19 September 2018 ... 3.9 km walk + 8 flights of 20 stairs
    Thursday, 20 September 2018 ... 3.2 km walk + 3 km run + 6 flights of 20 stairs
    Friday, 21 September 2018 ... 2 km walk + 4 flights of 20 stairs

2018 Monthly September
    Walking Distance (km): 70.6
    Walking Time (min): 723.5
    Cycling Distance (km): 123.4
    Cycling Time (min): 356.5
    Stairs Climbed Number: 82.0
    Stairs Climbed Time (min): 65.6

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 194.0
    Total Distance (miles): 120.6
    Total Time (min): 1145.6
    Total Time (hr): 19:05:35

Machka in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,435 Member
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    PIP! I'll take that boot! Not sure what happened last night, but I sat on the couch after cleaning up the toys and felt too tired to make dinner so I ate...of all things...a half a bag of marshmallows! It may have been a phone call I had with my daughter that set me off. She means well, but she has a way of "handling" my problems; which entails her going over every issue/detail/ and possible solution and the outcomes of each possible solution...etc. (overthinking). She is her father in feminine form and my brain doesn't process things that way. The phone call ended with me saying, "STOP. JUST STOP." She apologized but I think the anxiety had already bore it's way into my brain. I mindlessly ate the marshmallows and went to bed. I slept well, though.
    GIMME DA BOOOOOOT!
    Viv - Ugh! Trying to organize/clean out sheds/closets/rooms while the person is there is nearly impossible! Tried it with my hubby (his things) and out of about twenty bins of things, he only parted with about two bins worth of items. Next time I tackle the job when he is not around. >:)
    Lanette- The kids and I take about a four mile walk each day. Some days only about three miles if time is tight. But they are getting to be such great walkers, it is only taking us an hour to go four miles! For those teeny, tiny legs that is really moving! (Their legs look like Marvin the Martian's legs; remember that cartoon character?)
    Lisa- Good on you; getting the grant proposal out of the way while you wait at the airport! o:) As far as the cooties go, Clorox Wipes! I take them everywhere. Not because I am a germaphobe (I work with kids, so that is not the issue) but because I like to be prepared. There is some sort of cosmic Murphy's Law that translates like "if there is a seat left for Kelly, it must have some sort of schmutz all over it!"

The wind is really blowing here! It rained quite a bit yesterday and again last night/this morning. It has stopped raining for a bit, but the wind is up and I can hear the roar of the waves on the lake, so I imagine they are quite big! Well, if we end up losing power, today would be an okay day to do so as it is the day before grocery shopping and my fridge is pretty empty.

Well, better get busy. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

What the hell???!!!!!!! ::::; strapping on the boot and getting a running start!!::;:;::: my foot hurts now for kicking the butt so much!!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :)Katla, We had our own problems some years ago because Jake put his name on a loan his daughter applied for to buy a car. When we moved up here and applied for a loan to buy our house, they saw the daughter's car loan as one more payment we already had which would have interfered with our ability to repay the home loan. We weren't paying her loan but the paperwork made it look that way. It took us a long time to first show the home loan people that she was repaying the loan and then to get her to change the financing to get a loan without using his name as a back-up. It seems to me that your daughter is liable (morally, if not legally) to pay whatever taxes your husband supposedly owes.

:)Kelly, Have you thought about not telling your daughter so much about what's going on in your life? If she doesn't know about the problems, she can't offer her solutions.

:)Viv, I feel for your challenge of helping your parents de clutter. Dealing with one parent is hard and two is really something. At least it helped you understand more about your own tendencies. That is a win for you.

:) I slept better last night than I have since I got the diagnosis about my back. I get enough sleep usually but it's in small doses all day so this was a great treat.

<3 Barbie from beautiful chilly NW Washington

• cityjaneLondon
    :pKJ - Any kind of phone call in the evening usually means I can't get to sleep. People generally know not to ring me in the evening as I am not welcoming! :laugh: I don't think marshmallows are that bad in calories! :p

NYKAREN - Fantastic news about your husband. <3 You'll end up being really annoyed with him for bring so slim and fit.

DH finally got through to the agents at the third try and gave them a piece of his mind. He is generally very good at putting over his views in a calm way, but leaving them in no doubt. I wasn't there as I was out running, but he told me what he said. I think we both feel better for it even if it doesn't change anything.
    During my run it was very WINDY!!!! (Pip?) We are having gales at the moment, with flooding and damage in some parts of the country. The weekend, and Edie's party, is going to be horrible for our travelling over there. Still, I ran down the lanes with the trees swaying and the wind roaring and listened to podcasts on Je Ne Regrette Rien and Let's Face The Music And Dance. :D Marvellous. I cried during the first one.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Heather: It is amazing that little Edie is turning 5 already! I hope you have a wonderful visit. :flowerforyou:

KJ: The only way I like marshmallows is cooked over an open fire and plopped between to graham crackers with a little chunk of chocolate. I haven’t actually had one of these treats since before I started on MFP. Nostalgia . . .:wink:

Karen in VA: I have no idea what to think about the CO thing. We have received no money, It was all applied to DD’s purchase of a farm in Illinois. We have an appointment with our tax accountant and may need to hire a CO attorney. Can they tax us for money that we have not received? :huh?:

Barbie: Thanks for the information on real estate issues. Our first step has been to request an appointment with our accountant, who is very savvy. We may have to hire an attorney in CO to straighten this out. I don’t know how things will go. :star: Our daughter says that all the funds were applied immediately to the purchase in Illinois & she was told by her reale state agent that there would be no CO taxes on the sale.

Thanks for all of your supportive comments. I am very appreciative of the ideas and advice regarding CO. If any of you know of a good real estate attorney in CO I would appreciate a name. I’m hoping it won’t come to that, but it may.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    edited September 2018
    Katla ~ When my sister gave me money for my part of my mom's house, we were very worried that we would have to pay taxes on it. Our CPA's investigated and we were assured that it was an inheritance and did not have to be taxed. So far, all is well!

Heather ~ Your run through the windy lane actually sounds like fun!

My son's two dogs are going home today! Yeah! The younger one chewed up my wicker sofa. Granted, it was old and not in the best shape but it still sat well. The older one (150 lbs) just wanted to come into the house. He actually stuck his head through the screen on the screen door that goes into the house. My Pom will be so happy to have his porch back again. I told my DH that the next time they went on vacation we would just pay to have them boarded. End of rant!

Carol in GA
  • Katla and Heather - I must have passed over you stories about whatever - dealing with a sale of some property? Whatever you do, I hope it goes well with you. Why would you have a CO attorney if the property is in another place? I'd think that you would have to 'charge' that person - maybe in Federal Court - since it isn't in the same state (I'm assuming). I think I know why Will is so hesitant to have a 'mortgage'; especially if Tami isn't willing to put the house she bought, on her own; and, his home is part of the perks of his job. It is just too far away to expect Tami to travel 60 miles a day home and back on really bad country roads. I think he is trying to pull back because 'if' her house doesn't sell, then they might need to rent it. He doesn't want to be a landlord. I don't know how much they intend on putting down on a house. Louis told Will the first thing they need to do is go to the bank and find out how much they would be able to borrow and then find out how much the payments would be; right now, she pays the mortgage on her house and I 'think' she has figured out a budget that they could live with based on what Will is making. I think they might still be paying on the IVF procedure that did not work. Also, might be still trying to still get pregnant. Louis saw a pack of 'birth control pill; but, I told him that BCP are also used for other things other than 'birth control' such as making her periods normal and then she'd know how many days she would expect to go until the time she could get pregnant once she stops. She had a couple of polyps taken out of her uterus because that is what made her fallopian tubes swell shut. Don't know if they will open up after having this procedure. I did not ask too many questions when she told me about it. She has Endometriosis really bad, too. She had a bad mole take out, just behind her knee; and had to go back so they could cut more out so they got a clean edge. She had made an appointment with the Dermatologist for him, too; and, he had to have a couple biopsied, too.

Lenora
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,689 Member
    Heather - I can't even begin to imagine the frustration of your real estate woes. Is the only way to sell property over there in a chain?

Machka - It's truly amazing what we can do when we have to isn't it?

I have been in a very angry mood all week, I finally figured out that the homesickness I have been feeling is probably the biggest culprit. That, along with the miserable weather since really the first of August it's a recipe for ugliness.

My Brother posted a video on my FB wall last night. The video showed this young man who kept enjoying his life while ignoring his Mother's calls and texts. Eventually his Sister calls and tells him his Mother has Alzheimer's. It then shows him crying and shocked. A man then comes on reminding people that we shouldn't ignore our loved ones because they won't be there forever.

This video infuriated me and the more I think about it the angrier I get. My Mom was put into a nursing home on December 10th, 2017 due to Alzheimer's. My brother doesn't want her to have a phone in her room as she was calling him 25-30 times a day. The deal was he would visit her regularly and call me so I could talk to her. Since March my brother has only called me while visiting twice. I don't know if it's because he's not visiting or he's visiting and doesn't have my sister in law's cell with him. Either way I have not ignored my Mom I called her almost daily when she was still home and I was able to and it's not like I live next door, I can't just go visit as much as I would love to. $1000 is a lot of money to spend to get home.

Anyhow enough venting.... This is the scene out of my office window this morning. It's the last day of summer!fq5tzj27nvss.jpg

Tracey in Snowy Edmonton
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    My dear hearts,

Was going to write a blog post, but too hired and headachy to write a whole story, so just going to unload here. Once I'm done, our tidier-upper, Rebecca, can sweep all this out to the margins.

Have what feels like a drama hangover, as it was a week where a lot of emotions got let loose, lots of people got thrown under innumerable buses (not me, I was just the sounding board for a lot of it) and in general, a cathartic vomiting up of old hurts was brought up, exposed to the light of day, resolved as best possible, and everyone went their separate ways again at work. Not unusual when a reorganization is in the offing, I've been through a few, but there was a lot of fear underlying much of the drama. There should be. I know at least three people who will be losing their jobs, and within about 45 days, we are all to be realigned into some new configuration of all our responsibilities.

It sounds interesting in theory, but I'll withhold judgment until I see the reality of the changes. For all I know, I will be one of the ones released, although I doubt it.

The flights back were all delayed by weather, but not to the point where I missed any connections. Still got home at about midnight. Couldn't sleep until 2, still wound up from the week, but had to go in for a mammogram I've been having to reschedule for months. All squozen now, and glad that's done.

Off to take a nap,
    Love y'all,
    Lisa
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited September 2018
    Snowflake - one of the problems is the price of property in the South of England and in hot spots elsewhere in the country. The houses we are selling and buying (just swapping really, with us putting in some extra cash) are well over a million dollars. The extra cash we are putting in would buy a whole house in some places. Hove is one of the most expensive places in the country. We have to sell ours. Yes, we could rent after selling and pay cash, but rents are also sky high, around 2,000 dollars a month for an average place. A waste of money. Plus they all want long tenancies. At the lower price range you often get a 'first time buyer' who has nothing to sell, but the higher up you go in price the longer the chain with people trading up. There has to be a cash purchase at the start of the chain and an empty, or new, property to finish it. When we moved out of London we did rent for 6 months before we bought this house. A tiny cottage in the countryside cost over 1,000 dollars a month. We were able to finance that with the interest on the house sales in London, but there is virtually no interest these days in savings accounts. Then it was 5% , now 1 +% on a short term account.
    8 years have passed and house prices and rents are crazy. We have just a very moderate income. Any wealth we have is in the house. It all needs to work smoothly in the chain for us to buy a smaller house for more money in our preferred location, near the grandchildren.
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,435 Member
    :pKJ - Any kind of phone call in the evening usually means I can't get to sleep. People generally know not to ring me in the evening as I am not welcoming! :laugh: I don't think marshmallows are that bad in calories! :p

NYKAREN - Fantastic news about your husband. <3 You'll end up being really annoyed with him for bring so slim and fit.

DH finally got through to the agents at the third try and gave them a piece of his mind. He is generally very good at putting over his views in a calm way, but leaving them in no doubt. I wasn't there as I was out running, but he told me what he said. I think we both feel better for it even if it doesn't change anything.
    During my run it was very WINDY!!!! (Pip?) We are having gales at the moment, with flooding and damage in some parts of the country. The weekend, and Edie's party, is going to be horrible for our travelling over there. Still, I ran down the lanes with the trees swaying and the wind roaring and listened to podcasts on Je Ne Regrette Rien and Let's Face The Music And Dance. :D Marvellous. I cried during the first one.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

We all know how I love the wind