SUGAR

This past weekend I somehow managed to consume soooooo much sugar. My calories were still the same as they have been but i’m really scared I’ll gain weight because of all the sugar. is that possible? will i gain fat from the sugar? It was all processed unnatural sugar too :( also how do i stop the sugar cravings?

Replies

• beccik1992
    beccik1992 Posts: 5 Member
    However ^^ its is entirely based on decision preferred :)
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    beccik1992 wrote: »
    beccik1992 wrote: »
    If you think you are consuming too much sugar, try reading up or looking at the ingredients on the things you are eating, you will be suprised how much sugar is in certain foods. For a tasty healthy snack try (pre making/baking) I have been making banana oat cookies, they are amazing and have no added sugar apart from honey and banana which is where you get the natural sugars from. Really easy and tasty. Basically, oats, wholewheat flour, 2x banana, 1/3 cup honey, cinamon, tsp baking powder, tsp baking soda, pinch of salt and an egg. Or - tasty flapjacks, simply, honey, porridge oats, coconut oil and butter.

What is the difference between honey and sugar? None. Sugar comes from beets and, or cane.

Sugar is manmade and processed...also honey contains less glucose and fructose

So is the rest of your ingredients.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    graces109 wrote: »
    This past weekend I somehow managed to consume soooooo much sugar. My calories were still the same as they have been but i’m really scared I’ll gain weight because of all the sugar. is that possible? will i gain fat from the sugar? It was all processed unnatural sugar too :( also how do i stop the sugar cravings?

No. Calories determine weight loss. Some people find if they eat a lot of sugar it makes them more hungry, which makes it harder for them to eat the right amount.

I find getting into the habit of pre-logging before I actually eat something really helps. Seeing the numbers on the screen, and then consciously making the decision to eat it or not. I also find that planning a treat every day, portion controlled and fitting in my calorie goal, helps keep me from craving stuff, it's usually the deprivation and guilt cycle that keeps me wanting more. :drinker:

^^^ Alla that!

Really, the biggest problem with excess sugar (other than the potential for it to trigger cravings) is that if one eats too much of it, it's hard to get overall good nutrition within a reasonable calorie level. Essentially, excessive sugar drives out more nutritious things from our way of eating, which has a health cost.

No one (non-poisonous! ;) ) food is the devil. What counts is one's total way of eating over time. It's most healthful if most of one's intake is nutrition-dense, with treat foods as a smaller . . . well, treat!

One possible way to look at remodeling your eating is not so much to focus on cutting out "bad things" (like sugar) but rather to focus on adding "good things": Gradually including more veggies, whole fruits, whole grains, etc., while sticking to a calorie goal.

(I put "bad things" and "good things" in quotes, because I really believe what I said earlier: There aren't good or bad individual foods, but there can be good and not-so-good overall ways of eating. With any food, context and dosage is important. An all-sugar diet would be bad for you, but an all-broccoli diet would be bad, too (not that anyone is really likely to eat entirely either one of those things in reality - LOL!).

Best wishes!

Overall I am going to agree with this other than the bolded. Yes it's partially true in that eating a bunch of candy doesn't leave much caloric room for nutrient dense foods. However, I've had days where I've gone way over my sugar with fruit and dairy products.

Otherwise I totally agree. OP, sugar isn't the bad guy. But if you feel like it's getting in the way of your overall nutrition then the previous advice if substituting some if you sugary items with things like fruit may be just what you need.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    Sugar, ah honey honey
    You are my candy girl
    And you got me wanting you

Honey, ah sugar sugar
    You are my candy girl
    And you've got me wanting you

I just can't believe the loveliness of loving you
    (I just can't believe it's true)
    I just can't believe the one to love this feeling to

Ah sugar, ah honey honey
    You are my candy girl

Ah honey, ah sugar sugar
    You are my candy girl

When I kissed you, girl, I knew how sweet a kiss could be
    (I know how sweet a kiss can be)
    Like the summer sunshine pour your sweetness over me
    (Pour your sweetness over me)

Oh sugar, pour a little sugar on it honey
    Pour a little sugar on it baby
    I'm gonna make your life so sweet, yeah yeah yeah
    Pour a little sugar on it oh yeah
    Pour a little sugar on it honey

Ah sugar, ah honey honey
    You are my candy girl
    Oh honey, honey, sugar sugar
    (Honey, honey, sugar sugar)
    You are my candy girl

tldr: gimme all the sugar :)

Thanks so much for the earworm...
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    Sugar, ah honey honey
    You are my candy girl
    And you got me wanting you

Honey, ah sugar sugar
    You are my candy girl

I just can't believe the loveliness of loving you
    I just can't believe the one to love this feeling to

Ah sugar, ah honey honey
    You are my candy girl

Ah honey, ah sugar sugar
    You are my candy girl

When I kissed you, girl, I knew how sweet a kiss could be
    (I know how sweet a kiss can be)
    Like the summer sunshine pour your sweetness over me
    (Pour your sweetness over me)

Oh sugar, pour a little sugar on it honey
    Pour a little sugar on it oh yeah

Ah sugar, ah honey honey
    You are my candy girl
    Oh honey, honey, sugar sugar
    (Honey, honey, sugar sugar)
    You are my candy girl

tldr: gimme all the sugar :)

Thanks so much for the earworm...

Anytime. :)

Also, here's this:

A Spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down
    The medicine go down-wown
    The medicine go down
    Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down
    In a most delightful way

:)

:'(
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I think sugar gets a bad wrap. Unfortunately, things we general see as high sugar also comes with high fat. Cookies, candy bars, cake. Watermelon is high sugar, but also high volume with low calories. Just saying, you could gain weight eating an excess of watermelon, but much easier eating snickers. Jmho
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    edited September 2018
    skram01 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    graces109 wrote: »

No. Calories determine weight loss. Some people find if they eat a lot of sugar it makes them more hungry, which makes it harder for them to eat the right amount.

I find getting into the habit of pre-logging before I actually eat something really helps. Seeing the numbers on the screen, and then consciously making the decision to eat it or not. I also find that planning a treat every day, portion controlled and fitting in my calorie goal, helps keep me from craving stuff, it's usually the deprivation and guilt cycle that keeps me wanting more. :drinker:

^^^ Alla that!

Really, the biggest problem with excess sugar (other than the potential for it to trigger cravings) is that if one eats too much of it, it's hard to get overall good nutrition within a reasonable calorie level. Essentially, excessive sugar drives out more nutritious things from our way of eating, which has a health cost.

No one (non-poisonous! ;) ) food is the devil. What counts is one's total way of eating over time. It's most healthful if most of one's intake is nutrition-dense, with treat foods as a smaller . . . well, treat!

One possible way to look at remodeling your eating is not so much to focus on cutting out "bad things" (like sugar) but rather to focus on adding "good things": Gradually including more veggies, whole fruits, whole grains, etc., while sticking to a calorie goal.

(I put "bad things" and "good things" in quotes, because I really believe what I said earlier: There aren't good or bad individual foods, but there can be good and not-so-good overall ways of eating. With any food, context and dosage is important. An all-sugar diet would be bad for you, but an all-broccoli diet would be bad, too (not that anyone is really likely to eat entirely either one of those things in reality - LOL!).

Best wishes!

Overall I am going to agree with this other than the bolded. Yes it's partially true in that eating a bunch of candy doesn't leave much caloric room for nutrient dense foods. However, I've had days where I've gone way over my sugar with fruit and dairy products.

Otherwise I totally agree. OP, sugar isn't the bad guy. But if you feel like it's getting in the way of your overall nutrition then the previous advice if substituting some; if you sugary items with things like fruit may be just what you need.

Just for clarity: I don't define "excessive sugar" as "more than the MFP default sugar goal". (I go over the MFP default sugar goal every day, and did all through weight loss, though from inherent - not added - sugars, by and large; fruits and dairy, as you say. Doesn't matter, because sugar is sugar, nutritionally speaking.)

I actually would define "excessive sugar" circularly: It's so much sugar that needed nutrition is driven out of one's way of eating at a sensible calorie goal, or that causes one to exceed a sensible calorie goal in order to achieve adequate nutrition.

I can see how you might make the interpretation of "excessive sugar" as being "more than the MFP default sugar goal", so I apologize for not writing more clearly. :flowerforyou: I guess it didn't occur to me as an unintended interpretation, because I don't think of MFP's nutritional recommendations as gospel in any sense (nor do I think they're terrible, for most people). I know how I want to eat; it doesn't much matter to me what MFP highlights in red.