Back issues?

Options
I am not new to mfp, but I am new to posting. I’ve lost weight, gained weight, lost it again, gained it back. I have chronic back issues that have been acting up again and the cost of addressing them is ENORMOUS, even with insurance. I’m logical. Being about 60-70 pounds overweight is certainly a player in this game. And carrying the extra weight is only going to shorten the effectiveness of any intervention I decide to try. Just curious if anyone can attest to the pain relieving benefits of significant weight loss? I am so motivated to get going after getting the call today about just having a mri!

Replies

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Losing weight was the best thing I ever did for my back. I have genetic spinal defects and needed several lower back surgeries and two cervical disk replacements (the 2nd one later this week).

BUT since losing more than 125 pounds, I have had so much relief from the lower back issues. I can now manage most of the time without any medications or medical interventions at all.

Besides losing the weight, walking, stretching, strengthening my core have all helped tremendously.

I think you will be really pleased with how much taking off the excess pounds will help. Best of luck to you!
  • Mykatet
    Mykatet Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Having chronic back pain is one of the reasons I want to lose weight too. I have about 100 pounds to lose as well. Chronic pain which limits mobility really does just feed on itself. The more pain-the less I move, the less I move-the more I gain, The more I gain-the more pain I am in etc, repeat. Ironically I was at my lowest weight as an adult when I injured my back. Now about 2 years later, I'm the heaviest I've ever been.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I suffered a bulging disc and was pretty much an unhappy camper in pain for a year. The helpful things for me were (1) going to a physical therapist, (2) learning no-impact stretching exercises, and (3) losing the excess weight. I spent some time laying on my stomach to keep my spine stable (you may need to lay down on your back, depending on what the doc says). It was important not to spend all my time sitting, because getting up and enduring the pain of being completely sedentary was no way to live. Good luck on finding what works for you! And be sure to resume counting calories with MFP to either lose the weight you'd otherwise gain by being inactive. I ate some more food when I was injured because I was bored or wanted the comfort. I finally quit that and regained some discipline with MFP logging. You can, too.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Losing weight combined with strength training has eliminated most of my back issues.