Nutrition/Hunger struggle

Height: 6ft even
Weight: 260lb
Body fat% 30.8

Hi all,

this has been a really helpful forum throughout this whole weight/muscle/fat struggle since I have joined MFP so I have a question for anyone that has really gotten the diet and exercise combo discipline thing down-packed with great results. Looking at my endomorphs and stockier people for this lol

I am trying to lose weight with the focus on getting down to 20% body fat and floating around there and getting my weight down to 215lbs roughly.

I am still trying to work on eating better combinations of foods for the majority of a month while maintaining a good workout routine without flip flopping all the freaking time (I start a strength routine for two weeks then find a HIIT routine to try for a week then I try distance running training for two weeks then get frustrated when I haven't increased in strength, speed or haven't lost any weight or fat).

I want to get your honest opinion on how full or satiated you feel most days and by that I mean at the end of night when you're going to bed do you feel genuinely content or do you feel somewhat hungry still?
Like, I am beginning to think that might be part of the sacrifice of getting real results and maintaining them is that you're not starving, but you always have that little urge in the back of your mind to want something (a cheat meal or even just more food) and you just train your will power to kind of suppress it, but its always there. Sounds weird, but I'm thinking that maybe my mindset for eating has been too hopeful and I need to train myself to accept that constant hunger.

Thoughts?

Replies

• gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    There really isn't a one size fits all diet or workout so I suggest trying a few different programs and see what works for your schedule and gets you the results you want. As far as the hunger I switched to eating 5-6 times a day in smaller portions and that seemed to help keep my hunger satisfied. Meal prepping is definitely the way to go as well. Here is the workout that got me started on my journey a few years ago. Kris is very motivating and has lots of great workouts, supplements and diet advise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKzZ-Xw6wmQ&list=PLLXmeIOBkPXS7LrwxwhQdTE7HMgFVZMzO
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I had similar stats to you when I started in 2014:

6'4"
    ~280 lbs.
    Body fat% >30%

Currently at 222 lbs and 15% body fat

Body size doesn't matter. It's a matter of caloric intake and output.

During this process I took great time to understand the difference between what was hunger and what was appetite. I built up a schedule around this to mitigate hunger cues, so I rarely feel hunger impact at all at this point. I drink 16 oz of water 30 mins prior to meal times. I eat a small breakfast, a light lunch, light afternoon snack and save the majority of my calories for dinner and evening.

I also took great time understanding what foods satiate me - oatmeal, red meat, tuna, potatoes, chocolate, coffee.

There are some rare times where my appetite takes over, but I've implemented enough controls, so that I successfully maintain my weight.

As for working out I do resistance training MWF and run cardio sessions every day alternating between run/bike/swim.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    For myself, and most days, I would describe that feeling as quite hungry right before meals, quite content after breakfast and lunch, and comfortably stuffed after dinner, and a little hungry the rest of the time. Just wanting to eat something nice and easy, almost all the time. So I have to tell myself "no, not now" quite often. Sometimes I don't listen, lol. I have to live with this excess appetite. But I can live with it, it could have been much worse.

I'm in maintenance, but I had it the same way during weightloss. I eat a well balanced and varied diet - I would say it's close to MFP's default macros now; I practically just reintroduced carbs/treats. I get in two portions of fruit, and at least three portions of vegs each day, in a range of colors, I think "food groups", and try to eat as many species as possible through the week and from week to week. Quite easy, it just takes a small daily effort.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I'm hungry some times through the day. Usually not before bed, like you asked; I have my hunger earlier to save up for a big, satisfying dinner. I usually wait until 10 am to have breakfast (protein heavy Greek yogurt) and then skip lunch, or have a light one. That's what works for me personally, I need some big meals, and arrange them to be there but fit. It took trial and error to get here, but it's been working well for me.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2018
    For me, I'm not counting calories anymore but based on the rate at which I'm losing weight, I would guess I'm eating at a 250 ish calorie deficit.

I can manipulate my meal timings to make it so I'm not hungry when I go to bed. For example, skip breakfast, eat light for lunch, and then then eat a huge dinner and an after dinner snack. But I don't like eating that way so I'm usually always at least a little bit hungry at night. Just a little, to a point where I can happily ignore it and go to bed anyway. Sometimes I do have a snack, but usually I don't. I do think that *for me* losing weight comes with learning to being ok with being a little bit hungry sometimes.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    I had to adjust my food choices and timing at first during weight loss, but reached a point where I was rarely feeling hungry other than shortly before an upcoming meal. I did find that if I got much hungrier much earlier (maybe because of a break from my normal routine) it worked better for me to eat a small, usually protein-rich snack rather than let myself reach the point where I'd feel ravenous before the next meal. Beyond that, it helped me to eat mostly foods I truly enjoy, and to find ways not to mentally dwell on eating/appetite, because I could always talk myself into feeling hungry by thinking about it long enough. (Hobbies and distractions are good. ;) ).

Willpower is not the sharpest tool in my tool-kit, so I try to avoid needing it, if I have other alternatives. ;) Finding new and different satisfying eating habits was a better route for my personality type.

As far as workouts, I think there are two possible useful routes you could go, either thinking in terms of goals (what outcome do you want most - strength, appearance, competitiveness in a particular sport, etc.) then planning training in order to get there; or, alternatively, to keep experimenting and trying things until you find an activity that's inherently so fun and rewarding that you want to keep doing it long term and keep improving at it.

As you might guess, I did the second, finding something I enjoy so much I'd do it even if it weren't good for me. (I'm not much better at dutiful discipline than I am at willpower.)
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Iragen wrote: »
    Body fat% 30.8

Hi all,

this has been a really helpful forum throughout this whole weight/muscle/fat struggle since I have joined MFP so I have a question for anyone that has really gotten the diet and exercise combo discipline thing down-packed with great results. Looking at my endomorphs and stockier people for this lol

I am trying to lose weight with the focus on getting down to 20% body fat and floating around there and getting my weight down to 215lbs roughly.

I am still trying to work on eating better combinations of foods for the majority of a month while maintaining a good workout routine without flip flopping all the freaking time (I start a strength routine for two weeks then find a HIIT routine to try for a week then I try distance running training for two weeks then get frustrated when I haven't increased in strength, speed or haven't lost any weight or fat).

I want to get your honest opinion on how full or satiated you feel most days and by that I mean at the end of night when you're going to bed do you feel genuinely content or do you feel somewhat hungry still?
    Like, I am beginning to think that might be part of the sacrifice of getting real results and maintaining them is that you're not starving, but you always have that little urge in the back of your mind to want something (a cheat meal or even just more food) and you just train your will power to kind of suppress it, but its always there. Sounds weird, but I'm thinking that maybe my mindset for eating has been too hopeful and I need to train myself to accept that constant hunger.

Thoughts?

You are almost where i was 7.5 months ago. I am 5"11" and started at over 265. I claim 265 as that is the first measurement I have.

Today, I'm at 215, with a goal of 200.

Started at 2250 calories/day on my diabetes coach/dietitian recommendation and no more than 225g of carbs/day, not more than 60g/meal.

As I lost weight, I have dropped those values to 2025/203 and continue to lose about a pound or so each week.

Some days I am very hungry. Today will probably be one as I rode my bike 53 miles yesterday, but only ate about 2200-2300 calories.

It will pass. For me, lots of coffee and staying out of the kitchen helps.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Oh, my food diary is open if you would like to look.
  • Iragen
    Iragen Posts: 61 Member
    Iragen wrote: »
    Body fat% 30.8

Hi all,

Thoughts?

You are almost where i was 7.5 months ago. I am 5"11" and started at over 265. I claim 265 as that is the first measurement I have.

Today, I'm at 215, with a goal of 200.

Started at 2250 calories/day on my diabetes coach/dietitian recommendation and no more than 225g of carbs/day, not more than 60g/meal.

As I lost weight, I have dropped those values to 2025/203 and continue to lose about a pound or so each week.

Some days I am very hungry. Today will probably be one as I rode my bike 53 miles yesterday, but only ate about 2200-2300 calories.

It will pass. For me, lots of coffee and staying out of the kitchen helps.

Thank you. It says your feed is private so I dont know if I should click somewhere else, but the informarion was helpful in terms of having me look at my diet tighter. I was given a calorie budget of roughly 2300 and I realized recently MFP gives me a weekly report. Im not losing the weight because im not down 7000 calories every week so I need to tighten my diet up extremely so.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    I feel like I’m doing well managing hunger if I’m a little hungry up to an hour before meals and before bed. Weirdly, when I go to sleep a little hungry I’m fine in the morning with coffee only until almost noon, but if I go to bed stuffed I wake up famished. I think a little hunger (a few stomach grumbles, not about-to-pass-out low blood sugar) is normal and healthy.

And yes, wanting more is always present and I just have to tune it out. Every single day I COULD eat more, and most days I would LIKE more. Sometimes I splurge but usually I tell myself I’ve had enough and can enjoy more tomorrow.

Maybe cut yourself some slack regarding workout expectations. Two weeks is pretty quick to see results. Most people retain a little extra water for muscle repair when starting a new workout, and that can last 2 weeks. Find something you like doing and it will be easier to be patient for the results.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    This thread has been very interesting and insightful to read. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

You've asked for people who made it work to reply. I thought I had until recently so will add my input. I've been around for several years. I try to eat at a small deficit because I have/want to lose about 10lbs more. This has been extremely hard for me lately.

Going full to bed has always been my number one priority though. I suffer from insomnia and going peckish to bed is a no-no for me. So I have a separate meal before bed which is usually small (200-300cals) but keeps me satisfied. I always leave calories for it when I plan.

What works for me (or at least used to work until some time ago) is eating 4 propper meals and necessarily a dessert. I eat foods with high volume (high water content) so I feel full after a meal. I usually get hungry about every 4 hours (regardless of the actual time of day because I sleep around the clock and I don't have regular eating hours) and I try to eat every 4 hours or so. I can't really tolerate hunger (I'm careful here to distinguish this from apetite) so I have to eat when I get hungry or I become sick.
    So if I do the above I usually feel satisfied. But then comes the apetite....

I exercise almost everyday because otherwise I'm completely sedentiary and I really need the calories.

As time passes I seem to be less and less able to sustain a deficit and lately I can't even maintain but have been very slowly gaining... When I started I had no problems with discipline. A year later I got a bit tired of it so losing became even more slowly and now several years later I'm completely sick of it. My apetite is just not proportionate to my burns. Hopefully this thread will give me some fresh perspective too because my losing problems are mostly psychological.

Good luck to you, OP. If you can reduce your deficit I encourage you to do so.