Eating clean wording

Just so happened to see someons comment about multiple people disagreeing with the term.

Basically wanted to know if anyone has similar feelings on the wording or has heard similar opinions? Is eating "clean" a frowned upon phrasing now? If so, why? I imagine its just the idea of eat in a deficit of balance portions of proteins, carbs and good fats and utilize self control when it comes to desserts, snacks and junk food (high carb/processed stuff) but it sounds like people see it as too vague or something. Thoughts?

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    The term is so poorly defined as to be meaningless. Your personal definition may seem perfectly reasonable to you, but someone else's definition may be completely different.

For example, I've seen it defined as
    * No processed foods
    * No foods in a box
    * Foods with only X ingredients or less

I've also seen "no ingredients you can't pronounce" as a criterion. So scientists/chemists can eat pretty much anything, French and Vietnamese food are completely out for me, and I guess illiterate people just go hungry.

Indeed. I'm got fat on account of my excellent diction and voluminous vocabulary.

I restrict my intake of Dinitrogen Tetroxide and Trinitrotoluene, even though I can pronounce both of them.

Fortunately I'm semi-fluent in Spanish, which means that virtually all Mexican foods are "clean" for my diet by the pronunciation criterion - and I can pronounce all the Japanese names for things at an AYCE sushi bar too!

That makes me wonder if Italian food is "clean" if you have a New Jersey accent...

Fuhgeddaboutit!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2018
    Ask a vegan what "clean eating" is.
    Ask a vegetarian what "clean eating" is.
    Ask an ovo-lacto vegetarian what "clean eating" is.
    Ask a pescatarian what "clean eating" is.
    Ask a low-fat dieter what "clean eating" is.
    Ask a keto dieter what "clean eating" is.
    Ask a Paleo dieter what "clean eating" is.
    Ask an IIFYM dieter what "clean eating" is.

See if any of their definitions are the same.

Hell.

Ask 10 vegetarians to define "clean" and you will get a dozen answers.

It's an ambiguous, but loaded term. If I don't eat clean I must eat "dirty" and too often it is portrayed simply as one or the other. No middle ground is allowed in the discussion. So those who push "clean" eating will absolutely look down on someone who chooses to allocate some of their calories to chips/wine/scotch/cheese or what ever "indulgence" someone chooses.

My issue with your definition would be including a deficit. That's good for weight loss but really isn't part of "clean" eating (again, whatever that is).

What you are doing is fine. It just really doesn't need a definition.

ETA, here is a thread that mirrors my thoughts on the topic

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10498878/looking-for-friends-who-dont-eat-clean-and-healthy#latest

:)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    To me clean eating doesn't really mean anything. When I hear someone say they are "eating clean" I assume they mean they eat mostly from scratch stuff and nothing like rice a roni, boxed mac n cheese, frozen pizza etc. But everyone has a different idea on what it means, that's why, to me, it really doesn't mean anything. I also hear people say they have to read the ingredients and if it has any "weird chemical sounding" ingredients then they don't get it.

The way of eating you described is a sensible way to eat and that doesn't scream "clean eating" to me personally.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited September 2018
    I just eat.... try to eat 80 percent minimal to moderately processed 20 percent wth i want. To each their own I guess. Well I also like the minimal and moderately processed foods as well. So, I guess I eat wth i want. Huh 🤔