How do people curb their snacking

Ok so the biggest problem I have atm is snacking. I really try not to snack too much by having wholesome meals but I’m at home with my four month old and I get bored. Now I’ve started going for walks to curb the snacking but yet again walking makes my hungry so I want to eat when I get back. Anyone have good low cal snack ideas?

Replies

• jillstreett
    jillstreett Posts: 69 Member
    Water consumption and splitting up meals into smaller meals. I purposely have my breakfast broken up into smaller meals so it's just my breakfast, but its eaten 2 hours apart. 1st breakfast, 2nd breakfast, lunch, 2 snacks post lunch, then dinner is my usual day. There is nothing wrong with snacking, just maybe try to plan ahead and work them in so there is no guilt and no over consumption. Water doesn't curb my hunger, personally, but in an event of hunger that I feel is unwarranted, I take a second to ensure I have had enough water so far and start there before deciding if I want to eat something or not.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Ok so the biggest problem I have atm is snacking. I really try not to snack too much by having wholesome meals but I’m at home with my four month old and I get bored. Now I’ve started going for walks to curb the snacking but yet again walking makes my hungry so I want to eat when I get back. Anyone have good low cal snack ideas?

My advice would be to not keep the snack foods that tempt you when you are bored in the house (for a lot of those, you can always grab a single serving from the bodega when out for a walk - so it's not like banning it from your diet, just not having it too conveniently handy). And to find something to keep your hands busy. Having something 0-calorie to sip can often help (water, flavoured water, diet root beer,....). (in reference to the snacking due to boredom...if actual hunger, eat something).
  • gaelicstorm
    gaelicstorm Posts: 94 Member
    If you like snacking then why not eat less at meals so that you have more room for snacks? You could shave 80-100 calories off of lunch to leave room for a string cheese or a yogurt mid-afternoon (or anything else that fits your calorie and macro goals). I like to snack on something in the evening so I go lighter with main meals to accommodate that.
  • foreverhealthy3
    foreverhealthy3 Posts: 107 Member
    here are some of my go to: celery, peanut butter, few raisins; clementine and havartti cheese slice; nuts; hard cooked eggs,
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2018
    It is a lot harder when you're at home all day. I remember being home on maternity leave almost 3 years ago. It was great being with my baby but he slept a lot and I was really bored during those times! Try to find things to do. Strap him in a baby carrier and go for walks, go to the park, etc. Go meet up with friends or family. I did crafty type stuff when I was on mat leave (I am so not a crafty person either...) Snacking and sweets is my downfall as well so it helps me to limit my meals and have somewhat set meal times. I'm the type that would just mindlessly graze on stuff all day long.

Tea and coffee are helpful for me too when I want "something"
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I try not to snack, I mean sometimes it happens, but stick to close to set meal times as I can. For me, a meal fills me up. Snacking.... very little. I am working on what sated feels like and starting to push away from meals when I feel kinda full. Just my 2 cents
  • LYG1972
    LYG1972 Posts: 1 Member
    Cucumber or Jicama with lemon sprinkled with Tajin seasoning. you can get that crunch. Also a hard boiled egg and a light string cheese can be a quick snack as well. Having a 4 month old is hard. not sleeping makes me more hungry. Just try and eat clean. Hang in there you got this!!
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    I don’t avoid snacking because I personally like eating snacks, so I just make it fit my goals. I measure/weigh things out on a food scale, stick to mainly fruits, vegetables or a protein and make sure my overall calories are still met. Plus I like fun snacks like cereal, protein bars & popcorn so I just make sure to fit in what I enjoy.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    How far are you walking? It isn't an activity that burns enough calories for me that I'd come home hungry, but you could be totally different. I keep baby carrots in the fridge darn near all the time. I snack on them when I'm wanting something crunchy, or when I'm making dinner and I'd like to snack on chips or crackers. My problem is that if I snack while I'm cooking dinner, I'm often eating way too many calories, and those calories are usually mindless because I'm looking at a recipe, paying attention to cooking, talking to my family...
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    ritzvin wrote: »

My advice would be to not keep the snack foods that tempt you when you are bored in the house (for a lot of those, you can always grab a single serving from the bodega when out for a walk - so it's not like banning it from your diet, just not having it too conveniently handy). And to find something to keep your hands busy. Having something 0-calorie to sip can often help (water, flavoured water, diet root beer,....). (in reference to the snacking due to boredom...if actual hunger, eat something).

This, so much this. ^^^^^

Write yourself a list of your five favorite snacks. Don't keep them in the house. Honestly, this will cure 90% of the snacking. I got obese eating PB&Js. When I first started tracking calories, I figured out that I was eating around 1200 calories a day in PB&Js. No kidding. Grape jelly, white bread and PB with sugar. That was my downfall. Also PB ice cream. I've since gone gluten free and GF bread isn't good. Also, grape jelly with corn syrup was my favorite. I bought low carb jelly. Man that stuff is nasty! Also bought only PB with no sugar. Craving/snacking gone. I just don't buy the stuff. Whether it's chips or milk and cookies or Ice Cream, just don't buy it.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited September 2018

Write yourself a list of your five favorite snacks. Don't keep them in the house. Honestly, this will cure 90% of the snacking. I got obese eating PB&Js. When I first started tracking calories, I figured out that I was eating around 1200 calories a day in PB&Js. No kidding. Grape jelly, white bread and PB with sugar. That was my downfall. Also PB ice cream. I've since gone gluten free and GF bread isn't good. Also, grape jelly with corn syrup was my favorite. I bought low carb jelly. Man that stuff is nasty! Also bought only PB with no sugar. Craving/snacking gone. I just don't buy the stuff. Whether it's chips or milk and cookies or Ice Cream, just don't buy it.

Halo top now has a pb swirl. Might be lower cal. I know you are vegetarian. Do you drink milk at all?
  • ashleyih
    ashleyih Posts: 76 Member
    Lots of thoughts-maybe your calorie intake is too low? Especially if you are walking a moderate amount, you should account for that! I know when I am starving, raw baby carrots are my GOTO-6 for 35 calories. It fills you up and you don’t need many. The walk is a great idea. Or find a hobby?? Organizing pictures, cleaning, laundry...something to get you over the hump :)
  • foreverhealthy3
    foreverhealthy3 Posts: 107 Member
    edited September 2018
    this qualifies as a low calories lunch: tortilla pizza FOR LIGHT PIZZA LUNCH
    Mission mini corn tortillas
    https://www.amazon.com/Mission-Street-Tacos-Tortillas-12-6oz/dp/B06XDXVJR5?SubscriptionId=AKIAJ2F6RDUSIYCWQMFQ&tag=sa-b2c-new-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&
    serving size 3 mini tortillas 100 cal , fat 1.5 g, chol, 0mg, carb 19 g
    BelGioioso mozarella pearls
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/BelGioioso-Fresh-Mozzarella-Pearls-8-Ounce-Ball/14255252
    serves 8: 1 serving cal 80, 8 carbs, fat 5 g chol 20 mg this product appealing; but, it spoils fast once open
    Great value (walmart) mini pepperoni serving 45 mini pepperoni for three tortillas that 15 on each mini pizza; cal 130, fat 13 g, chol 20 mg, carbs 1 g
    Hormel (walmart) mini pepperoni 1 oz. 1/5 of the package: cal, 140, fat 13 grams, carbs 0
    chol, 35
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hormel-Pepperoni-Minis-5-oz/13448678
    i WANT TO TRY TORTILLAS IN AIR FRYER, TO TOAST, FOR PIZZA CRUST CRUNCH, THEN TOP WITH CHEESE, AND PEPPERONI AND LITTLE MORE CHEESE, CAN ADD TOMATO SAUCE IF WANTING. WARM IN OVEN TO MELT CHEESE
    approximate 300 calories for 3 mini pepperoni pizza
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »

Halo top now has a pb swirl. Might be lower cal. I know you are vegetarian. Do you drink milk at all?

Thanks. I'm Vegan 3 or 4 days a week (but we do eat meat two days or so a week and maybe eggs the other), very limited dairy. PB with me is like crack. But because my wife can't do cow dairy (unless it's A2/A2 variety she is allergic to it), we don't buy it. Around once a month we might get the new PB variety from Haagen Daz. It's the only non-dairy ice cream worth it.